Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SPC Front camber Top Nut

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 03:58 PM
typerguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPC Front camber Top Nut

Anyone install these yet?

With all the suspension components connected, I am having a problem trying to tighten the
top nut on the SPC camber kit.

The specs calls for the top nut to be tighten to 150 ft/lb. There's not enough room to get a
adjustable wrench in there, much less a torque wrench with a socket.

With a medium size wrench, the end of the wrench is hitting the upper fender or the frame of the car. I am unable to turn the wrench in any direction without hitting something on the car.

Any suggestions. thanks
Old 12-14-11, 07:17 PM
joedad
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by typerguy
Anyone install these yet?

With all the suspension components connected, I am having a problem trying to tighten the
top nut on the SPC camber kit.

The specs calls for the top nut to be tighten to 150 ft/lb. There's not enough room to get a
adjustable wrench in there, much less a torque wrench with a socket.

With a medium size wrench, the end of the wrench is hitting the upper fender or the frame of the car. I am unable to turn the wrench in any direction without hitting something on the car.

Any suggestions. thanks
Jack it up and take the tire off, if you've done that then here is all I could suggest.
If you have the camber where you need it now and you can't get to the nut, make sure the nut is tight then pop the spindle again and drop the bottom arm, then the upper arm will be able to drop also so you can access the nut with a torque wrench. Use a jack stand and have a friend help so the car doesn't move on ya. I thought that SPC only calls for 120 ft/lbs. torque on the top nut, that's what my instruction sheet calls for. I haven't put then in yet on my '09 is250.
Click on the "Vendor" tab at top of this page and scroll down to FIGSENGINEERING they have some awesome front "upper arms" for camber AND caster adjusting and rear "lower arm" for camber adjustments. They look great, I might wait for them instead of the SPC's and Megan rear arms.
Old 12-19-11, 11:51 AM
joedad
Rookie

Red face SPC top nut

Originally Posted by joedad
Jack it up and take the tire off, if you've done that then here is all I could suggest.
If you have the camber where you need it now and you can't get to the nut, make sure the nut is tight then pop the spindle again and drop the bottom arm, then the upper arm will be able to drop also so you can access the nut with a torque wrench. Use a jack stand and have a friend help so the car doesn't move on ya. I thought that SPC only calls for 120 ft/lbs. torque on the top nut, that's what my instruction sheet calls for. I haven't put then in yet on my '09 is250.
Click on the "Vendor" tab at top of this page and scroll down to FIGSENGINEERING they have some awesome front "upper arms" for camber AND caster adjusting and rear "lower arm" for camber adjustments. They look great, I might wait for them instead of the SPC's and Megan rear arms.
Let us know what your solution was, we'll be very interested. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-19-11, 02:24 PM
typerguy
Driver School Candidate

Default update

Let us know what your solution was, we'll be very interested. Thanks for your input.
joedad, totally forgot about this thread. You were right, the only correct way to tighten that top nut is to pop the spindle and drop the bottom arm, allowing the upper arm to drop down some to fit a torque wrench.

Until I can get to a garage with proper tools, I came up with a temporary solution. I went out and bought this 1/2" T-Bar flexible ratchet.

Sorry for the blurry pics. T-bar works perfectly. Nut is still on tight.

Old 12-19-11, 02:34 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

After the install, Are you getting any unusual noise like a clunk when hit a bump/pothole? Does the ride feel any harsher then before?
Old 12-19-11, 07:20 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sick: The clunk is the ball joint sliding around, it happened to me when I first installed it. I got an alignment done at firestone and they torqued it to 100 ft-lbs, and no more noise.

typer: Good find with the ratchet. Are you able to torque it down to 100-120 ft-lbs?
Old 12-20-11, 04:16 PM
typerguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sick
After the install, Are you getting any unusual noise like a clunk when hit a bump/pothole? Does the ride feel any harsher then before?
sick, you mean noise from the balljoint or coilovers?

The clunking noise from the balljoint went away after I tighten the top nut. But I been getting some weird squeaking sound from the front when I hit bumps. I believe its coming from the coilovers. The ride is a little harsh, I figure that was more related to running thinner size tires. I still need to adjust the dampening setting. Right now fronts and backs are set to 8 on Megan Ez.
Old 12-20-11, 04:22 PM
typerguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDKane527
sick: The clunk is the ball joint sliding around, it happened to me when I first installed it. I got an alignment done at firestone and they torqued it to 100 ft-lbs, and no more noise.

typer: Good find with the ratchet. Are you able to torque it down to 100-120 ft-lbs?
JDKane527: The T-bar ratchet is just a temporary fix. I tried to tighten the nut as much as possible. Will probably drop the spindle and the lower arm next week, so I can get a torque wrench in there and torque to 120ft/lbs.
Old 12-20-11, 08:53 PM
joedad
Rookie

Default SPC top nut

joedad, totally forgot about this thread. You were right, the only correct way to tighten that top nut is to pop the spindle and drop the bottom arm, allowing the upper arm to drop down some to fit a torque wrench.

Until I can get to a garage with proper tools, I came up with a temporary solution. I went out and bought this 1/2" T-Bar flexible ratchet.

Sorry for the blurry pics. T-bar works perfectly. Nut is still on tight.

Great lookin' ride! What year and where did you get the rear & front lips, and how much? Were they painted you car's color from the seller?
That socket really got you up into the well didn't it? You most likely were able to tighten it to 120ft/lbs already if you put enough "oomph" behind it. Where did you get the wrench?
Old 12-20-11, 09:04 PM
tn96dc
Pole Position

I pulled it fully out and tightened it before I installed my arm...
Old 12-21-11, 05:54 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

sick, you mean noise from the balljoint or coilovers?

My noise is coming from the ball joints, I never had clunking or any noise before.

Now when i hit a bump it sounds like i have 2 flat tires up front.
Old 12-21-11, 06:03 AM
typerguy
Driver School Candidate

My noise is coming from the ball joints, I never had clunking or any noise before.

Now when i hit a bump it sounds like i have 2 flat tires up front.
Does the noise happen when you turn too?

In my situation, the clunking sound would happen when I hit bumps and turn in either direction. That's when I realize the top nut was loose causing the balljoint to slide back and forth making that clunking sound.

Its possible that your top nut could be loose too.
Old 12-21-11, 06:25 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

^No, only when i hit bumps. I going to check that top nut when i get a chance, but i need to pick up one of those ratchets you have. What size socket fits the top nut?
Old 12-21-11, 07:28 AM
typerguy
Driver School Candidate

Great lookin' ride! What year and where did you get the rear & front lips, and how much? Were they painted you car's color from the seller?
That socket really got you up into the well didn't it? You most likely were able to tighten it to 120ft/lbs already if you put enough "oomph" behind it. Where did you get the wrench?
07 IS350
Lip kit are the Lexus optional GFX kit. I bought the kit from Sewell lexus, I believe you can buy them painted as well. Had mine painted locally, you can tell the color is off.

I bought the T-bar ratchet from Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/t-bar-w...het-66434.html
Old 12-21-11, 07:32 AM
typerguy
Driver School Candidate

^No, only when i hit bumps. I going to check that top nut when i get a chance, but i need to pick up one of those ratchets you have. What size socket fits the top nut?
If you don't hear a clunking sound when turning then I highly doubt its your balljoint. If the top nut is loose, you can definitely hear the sound when turning.

I bought the ratchet from Harbor Freight (link in previous post). And you will need a 27mm size socket to fit the nut.

Quick Reply: SPC Front camber Top Nut