Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need to upgrade my coilovers...currently on Stance. Need something more aggressive!

Old 11-27-11, 07:27 PM
duckJAI
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to upgrade my coilovers...currently on Stance. Need something more aggressive!

I'm currently running on Stance GR+ coilovers with spring rate 14k/10k.

I'm not SLAMMED but well fitted I would say.

I need something stiffer (hard braking or highway on-ramps there is too much body roll - need to upgrade the sways as well)

But the big thing in why I want to upgrade is I want a coilover I can run in the winter, and do some aggressive driving as well.

I plan on doing some hard driving and maybe some drifting (once I drop in the 2JZ-GTE) and I already have a TRD 1.5way diff installed.

What options do I have? Can I get Bilstein or KW to custom build me a coilover for the GS300?

From what I read, the IS300 coilover will physically bolt onto the GS300....so can I up the spring rate and get it valved accordingly (KW V3?)

If I got any coilover setup, I would upgrade to swift springs.

I've also thought about Bilstein PSS + swift springs + trd blue sways all around? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by duckJAI; 11-27-11 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-27-11, 07:33 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

get stiffer springs. try swift springs
Old 11-27-11, 07:39 PM
duckJAI
Driver

^^thanks for reminding me, I've thought about that as well.

I think you can go +/-2kg without having to revalve right? Not sure if that will be stiff enough for me.

Can Stance coilovers handle the winter weather tho? The rubber seals will get destroyed no?
Old 11-28-11, 11:07 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The KW's wont be stiffer.

We could do a custom BC Racing Setup with stiffer springs and valving to match and that would do the trick
Old 11-28-11, 06:06 PM
duckJAI
Driver

I need something that will handle harsh canadian winters.

I sell BC coils myself and they won't handle the cold weather.
Old 11-28-11, 06:30 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Look up PBM's, they just came out with 2GS coils. And they're pretty stiff from what I've heard. Really built for some drifting but they can customize spring rates for daily/track/drifting. They're pretty affordable too. My buddy have had it in his SC for 2 years now with no issues I believe. I'm going the same direction soon.
http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?9
Old 12-02-11, 05:43 PM
duckJAI
Driver

Ya I saw the PBMs but the spring rates are pretty lower, lower than my Stance GR+ 14k/10k.

I'm looking at some Zeals at the moment. I want something stiff but also feel like a quality ride and not just to get low.
Old 12-02-11, 10:02 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pbm uses swift springs straight from the box. They are stiffer than other competitors. And you can also order custom spring rate valved to match with custom damper length etc etc. No extra charge
Old 12-03-11, 11:13 AM
duckJAI
Driver

^^I checked the PBM website and didn't see any mention of swift springs.

I'm looking for a higher end coilover that I can fine tune and adjust to my needs, as well run it during the winter without any problems (i hate changing my suspension twice a year)

Last edited by duckJAI; 12-03-11 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-03-11, 10:33 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent123
pbm uses swift springs straight from the box. They are stiffer than other competitors. And you can also order custom spring rate valved to match with custom damper length etc etc. No extra charge
That's the word I was looking for. Yeah, they can customize everything according to your likes. Really well made also for $1200.
Old 01-08-12, 07:15 PM
duckJAI
Driver

still looking for something.

after sitting in my friends IS300 with kw v3s i have to upgrade my suspension to something that feels like it's doing the job, not just a stiff piece. every crack in the road it feels like i'm going over a speed bump.

there has to be something better out there.....i want something that can absorb the bumps better but still be firm when taking hard corners.
Old 01-08-12, 08:07 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to ask this before making some recommendations for you. What is it that you want out of a suspension setup? How much is your budget when it comes to shocks? Do you have the exact shock dyno that you want your coils to be valved to? All these comes into play. Note that stiffer spring rates does not mean better handling. You do not want a suspension that is so stiff that your tires do not make contact with the road surface. With that in mind, some places you should look into are Motons, Penske, and JRZ shocks. They make two and three way adjustable shocks that you can pretty much setup to your liking and never have to worry about changing another coilover setup. Also, if you're looking for quality springs, look into Hyperco and custom Eibach. I wouldn't run those swift springs if you gave them to me. Pure advertising if you ask me.
Old 01-08-12, 08:52 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Stance is fine for drifting and abusing. My boy has been running stance on his slammed JP GS and he turns sideways all the time with no problem. Stance is built for abuse. If you need stiffer steering get TRD Sways and some strut bars. Upgrade your other parts of suspension before you just think about coils. TRD Sways, Strut Bars, Traction Links, all that will stiffen up your suspension quite a bit. If you need better braking get LS400 brakes.

All problems solved.
Old 01-08-12, 11:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Also, if you're looking for quality springs, look into Hyperco and custom Eibach. I wouldn't run those swift springs if you gave them to me. Pure advertising if you ask me.

I would have to disagree with that. Swift is not pure advertisement. I ran Eibach and I'm currently on Swift. They hold their spring rates much better over thousands of miles.

Hypercoil is the only spring that can match Swift's consistency in spring rate. Both companies make great springs and you can't go wrong with either, but I chose Swift because I can get the same spring rate and coil length without having as many windings. My springs use to bind with Eibach until I switched to Swift.

I work at an aerospace test laboratory where we have a spring rate testing equipment. When I first bought my Swift, I had it tested from full length (6") down to where the coils were almost binding, and the spring rate were no more than +/- 5lbs/in from what they were advertised.

Believe me, I am a guy who cares very little for advertisement. Hard concrete numbers are the only things I'm after. The Swift passed, thus I'm running them. Had they sucked on my spring dyno, I would have tossed them.

I'm about to part out my car, which means I'm probably going to dyno these springs again to see how consistent they are. But something tells me they're going to end up very close, if not the same as when I first tested them.
Old 01-09-12, 12:17 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by duckJAI
I'm currently running on Stance GR+ coilovers with spring rate 14k/10k.

I'm not SLAMMED but well fitted I would say.

I need something stiffer (hard braking or highway on-ramps there is too much body roll - need to upgrade the sways as well)

But the big thing in why I want to upgrade is I want a coilover I can run in the winter, and do some aggressive driving as well.

I plan on doing some hard driving and maybe some drifting (once I drop in the 2JZ-GTE) and I already have a TRD 1.5way diff installed.

What options do I have? Can I get Bilstein or KW to custom build me a coilover for the GS300?

From what I read, the IS300 coilover will physically bolt onto the GS300....so can I up the spring rate and get it valved accordingly (KW V3?)

If I got any coilover setup, I would upgrade to swift springs.

I've also thought about Bilstein PSS + swift springs + trd blue sways all around? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Sounds more like a body roll or body flexing issue than coilover issue since 14/10 spring rate is somewhat stiff imo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to upgrade my coilovers...currently on Stance. Need something more aggressive!