Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need to upgrade my coilovers...currently on Stance. Need something more aggressive!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-12, 05:00 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I never said Stance was crap. I was just stating that you need a decent set of coilovers where the car rides to your preference before chassis tuning.

Stance and HSD coilovers are very good bang for the buck and decent quality overall. Megan, BC, Ksport, etc those are crap.
Old 01-20-12, 05:05 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bippu147
I never said Stance was crap. I was just stating that you need a decent set of coilovers where the car rides to your preference before chassis tuning.

Stance and HSD coilovers are very good bang for the buck and decent quality overall. Megan, BC, Ksport, etc those are crap.
Ahh gotcha. I thought you were trying to say they were crap, lol, my fault.

Whoa whoa there... I run Megan's.. They're good for dropping only.

I plan on upgrading to Stance myself or PBM.
Old 01-21-12, 03:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Bippu147
^people on here just don't understand how crappy our roads are in Canada from frost heave, and how cold our winters are....and of course, how coilovers perform in -20C.

-20C is insane! Can't begin to think how viscous those shock fluids are at those temperature That plus the lower gas pressure makes me wonder how long you have to drive in those temperature before the coilovers start to function they way they should..
Old 01-21-12, 11:19 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

-20C is nothing. One night last week it was -47C with the windchill.

All the higher end coilovers hold up in the cold, the cheap ones start leaking.
Old 01-21-12, 11:38 AM
GSteg
Rookie

I say insane because I never experience that temperature here
Old 01-25-12, 07:32 AM
duckJAI
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Stance coilovers are not crap... Far from crap. They are more than just decent coilovers. They might not be what he is looking for, but they're not crap.

Sorry, just had to say it.

"But the big thing in why I want to upgrade is I want a coilover I can run in the winter, and do some aggressive driving as well.

I plan on doing some hard driving and maybe some drifting (once I drop in the 2JZ-GTE) and I already have a TRD 1.5way diff installed. "

Also those were his words, and i've said it once. Stance can handle 'aggressive driving' and 'drifting'. I have a boy that's been running them for years now and he turns sideways in his GS no problem. They're built for strain. From these words it's like he's saying they can't handle aggressive driving, when in fact they can.
I know of 2 ppl that were on this board that had stance and was even sponsored by them (the GS300 Vertex LS1) and he said it was waaay too soft.

Another member had to run like 24k/20k to be able to drift aggressively and that of course means you have to revalve for that spring rate.
Old 01-25-12, 07:34 AM
duckJAI
Driver

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Ahh gotcha. I thought you were trying to say they were crap, lol, my fault.

Whoa whoa there... I run Megan's.. They're good for dropping only.

I plan on upgrading to Stance myself or PBM.
I would say wait for the new revision of Fortune Auto 500 coilovers.

Coming from Stance, I expect the Fortune Auto 500 coilovers to be better...or I wouldn't upgrade to these.
Old 02-02-12, 05:57 PM
duckJAI
Driver

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/282893-prod...lovers-11.html

Seems like Fortune Auto is VERY confident in their new 510 v2 coilovers.

"We are so confident in our new 510 series, a more valid comparison would be to more high end shocks like Penske, Ohlins and Moton.
The new 510's outclass and out perform pretty much anything from Asia that is in the $1000-$3000 range. "
Old 02-03-12, 07:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Seems like Fortune Auto has really gotten their act together. Designed and assembled in the US also! At this price point, Tein should be out of business.

Another icing on the cake is that when it comes to rebuilding your shocks, you're actually getting a rebuild. You're not paying $100/corner just to be thrown with another shock cartridge, but someone at the facility is actually working on your parts and will provide you with a shock dyno to ensure you have consistent performance on all 4 corners. How great is that? When it comes time to changing spring rates, you can add another $25/corner to get it valved correctly. You can't do that with replacement cartridges, and you rarely get shock dyno plots either.

I'm still shocked (no pun intended) at the price. Given the choice between say Megans, and Fortune, I rather put my money towards a company who employs American workers to the assembly and designing. While I won't be getting a set for the GS, I will look at it for my other cars. The shock dyno looks better than most I've seen for the price range.
Old 02-03-12, 08:40 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Until you guys drive on a set of Fortunes, I wouldn't jump to conclusions.
Old 02-03-12, 08:52 AM
GSteg
Rookie

I rode in a car with the old Fortune coils and they sucked. This was when they first started out. Ever since then, it left a bad taste in my mouth until now. They seem more dedicated to changing their image and it shows. I'll probably never get to drive a 2GS with the new versions of the coils, but I'm interested in picking up a set for my S2000. Rode in my friend's S2000 with BC coils and I didn't like it as much. So far the dyno plot looks better. Very little crosstalk between compression and rebound, which is rare for lower-priced coils.
Old 02-03-12, 03:28 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

what are you comparing the dyno plot to?
Old 02-03-12, 04:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

A dyno of some of their very first coils.
Old 02-04-12, 09:39 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

well...unless you've seen dyno plots of some really good shocks like Zeals, or KW's... how would you know that they're good?
Old 02-04-12, 12:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Never said they look good/great.. just better than their old stuff which suffered some bad hysteresis. Obviously Moton, KW, Ohlins, etc are in a different league, but I would hope so for the price they're commanding.

Good (to me) would be the Penske 7500 DA-series (otherwise I wouldn't have considered picking up a set for my Honda). They're just entry-level Penske, but still damn expensive. While the Fortune coils isn't anywhere near the top choice, the price makes it tempting since I could use the extra money saved for a new clutch. I'm not a cheerleader for Fortune as I hated them. Give me a decent set of coilovers for a decent price and I wouldn't care if the brand was Barbie-dolls.

Quick Reply: Need to upgrade my coilovers...currently on Stance. Need something more aggressive!