Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Popping Noise In Rear When I Brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-11, 03:57 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Popping Noise In Rear When I Brake

I don't know whats wrong with my sc, but everytime I brake I hear a popping sound coming from the rear. I checked if it was something in the trunk, or maybe a loose tail light, but its not. My brakes are completely done. I am not sure if it could be I need new brakes, a new rear caliper, or maybe something loose in the suspension. If this has happened to anyone lmk.
Old 11-25-11, 05:40 PM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG i have same symptom i think.. i never got around to post it but ive heard it since ive had the car..
Old 11-25-11, 08:17 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

is it like a "pop pop pop pop pop"? I get something similar too..i think it may be time to redo all the suspension its all stock with 139k!
Old 11-25-11, 09:20 PM
ads_mobile
Driver School Candidate

You sure it's not poppn noise or crackling noise from sunroof? Or going over bumps.
Old 11-26-11, 07:00 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

checkout your control arm bushings
Old 11-27-11, 06:01 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

no its deff. notthe sunroof, its not bumps, and it pops once. First i accelerate then I brake and it pops once, then accelerate and brake and pops once again. Now that you mention the control arm bushings, the front lower control arm bushings are worn out, but would they really make that noise though. The noise comes from the rear? I might get it checked out at a shop soon.
Old 11-28-11, 12:21 AM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Originally Posted by durtysc300
is it like a "pop pop pop pop pop"? I get something similar too..i think it may be time to redo all the suspension its all stock with 139k!
Originally Posted by sc4demon
no its deff. notthe sunroof, its not bumps, and it pops once. First i accelerate then I brake and it pops once, then accelerate and brake and pops once again. Now that you mention the control arm bushings, the front lower control arm bushings are worn out, but would they really make that noise though. The noise comes from the rear? I might get it checked out at a shop soon.
No durty, just one pop...

Sc4demon, exact same problem.. I'll start looking into it.. ill call my guy and see if he knows if it would be a control arm bushing.
Old 11-28-11, 05:41 AM
lexgsj01
Driver

I have the exact same symptom. Its only when I brake and mine is a pop pop pop pop. It only does it when I have a full tank of gas so I think it has to do with the rear suspension.
Old 11-28-11, 01:25 PM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

Heard my rears do the same just today. Maybe I need to tighten the rings since i adjusted my coils yesterday? But I do know my rear break pads are finished. So maybe it might be the breaks?
Old 11-28-11, 01:38 PM
Banikid
Lead Lap

Could be a couple of bolts that need to be re-tightened. There's a thread for popping sounds coming from the front that sounds the same as this.
Old 11-28-11, 04:59 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

wow i can't believe so many people have the same problem....thats crazy i thought i was the only one
Old 11-28-11, 06:02 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc4demon
there are lower control arms on the rear aswell.
Old 11-28-11, 07:45 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

may be diff mounts also.
Old 11-29-11, 01:18 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

i had this problem after i replaced my wheel bearing. Turns out my caliper bolts werent torqued down. Everytime i braked it would pop out a thread until the caliper fell off comming into my driveway. Put new bolts in and torqued em and boom all fixed!!!
Old 11-29-11, 10:42 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
i had this problem after i replaced my wheel bearing. Turns out my caliper bolts werent torqued down. Everytime i braked it would pop out a thread until the caliper fell off comming into my driveway. Put new bolts in and torqued em and boom all fixed!!!
I have the same problem, I stripped the bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket while trying to remove the brake rotor(stupid me, didn't know e-brake was engaged the whole time, whole 'nother story).

What I get is, one popping sound when transmission engages to reverse. Before it used to pop when tranny engage to Drive, but I fixed that by tweaking the TPS. I'm pretty sure it's the flexible coupler if not the cross joints of the drive shaft.

Quick Reply: Popping Noise In Rear When I Brake