Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Car feels sensitive on the road..

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 11:37 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car feels sensitive on the road..

I'm not sure if it's because I'm running wider wheels, or because my alignment is off, but ever since I lowered my car and put on my new wheels I've been feeling every slant on the road.

What I mean is that my steering is very sensitive when it goes over "un-even" surfaces. Like when there's a slight dip in the road, my wheel will turn towards it.

Current wheel specs are 19x9.5 and 19x10.5 with 245 tires in the front and 275 tires in the rear.

Could it be my steering rack bushings? Not sure if that'll have this effect. Also, I recently did all my suspension work, lower and upper arms are new, stab links are new, tie rods are also new..
Old 11-21-11, 12:01 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably because your alignment is off if you haven't gotten an alignment. And your car has more camber now being lower. It will never feel like stock with larger wheels and being lowered.
Old 11-21-11, 12:29 AM
Scless
Rookie

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Probably because your alignment is off if you haven't gotten an alignment. And your car has more camber now being lower. It will never feel like stock with larger wheels and being lowered.
Right, when your car is lowered it creates negative camber. Camber can cause a pull. If you had it lowered long enough, check for uneven tire wear. If not, get your alignment angles checked out. Hope all goes well!
Old 11-21-11, 12:32 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Alignment is off. I have the exact same problem. Never really felt it before 'cause the road is dry(and just recently got an alignment) until today when it started raining hard. I almost hydroplaned just a little while ago when I run into a puddle on the freeway and since the road was so slippery. So it had me checking my receipt for my alignment from a couple months back, so stupid of me that I never checked it out. It was so messed up and I'm so mad at the shop that did it for not even bothering to tell me they couldn't do it right and still charged me. I'm going back to the shop tomorrow and demand a refund and I'm gonna give them a hell of a review on yelp, hmpf.

Sorry, got carried away by my feelings, lol.
Old 11-21-11, 02:14 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

alignment: get more toe in.

and kingphilip, if you didnt pay cash, report a claim with your bank/visa. resolved.
Old 11-21-11, 02:36 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

that and tramlining due to the wider tires
Old 11-21-11, 06:25 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, my car tramlines on bad roads even with a good alignment due to wider tires.
Old 11-21-11, 07:01 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

skinny tires can cost to feel the road more cause you got no cushion to absorb it.
Old 11-21-11, 07:04 AM
cheez
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me, but once I changed my tires it fixed the problem
Old 11-21-11, 08:15 AM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I had a proper alignment done already.. but I guess I'll have to remove some of the camber because I set it at around -2.1 in the front for when I went tracking.

Will keep you guys updated..
Old 11-21-11, 11:13 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

when I got my 20's on I had the exact same thing.

The wheels hug the road and will actually turn by itself to a degree to follow the contours of the road.

I thought this was due to the new wheels but I do notice now that I have incredibly uneven wear on my rubbers so alignment might be the culprit as well.

You will get used to it either way.
Old 11-21-11, 11:23 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Tramline

Due to wider wheels and height.

The Porsche I detail on normal ride height doesn't do it as bad, but as soon as I lower her down, she's just like the Lexus trying to follow every groove in the road.

The steering rack position doesn't help at all.
Old 11-21-11, 12:18 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by greens14
alignment: get more toe in.

and kingphilip, if you didnt pay cash, report a claim with your bank/visa. resolved.
How to do that? What should I tell them? It's from a couple of months back. I used a debit card btw.
Old 11-24-11, 01:57 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Alignment is off. I have the exact same problem. Never really felt it before 'cause the road is dry(and just recently got an alignment) until today when it started raining hard. I almost hydroplaned just a little while ago when I run into a puddle on the freeway and since the road was so slippery. So it had me checking my receipt for my alignment from a couple months back, so stupid of me that I never checked it out. It was so messed up and I'm so mad at the shop that did it for not even bothering to tell me they couldn't do it right and still charged me. I'm going back to the shop tomorrow and demand a refund and I'm gonna give them a hell of a review on yelp, hmpf.

Sorry, got carried away by my feelings, lol.
OT from the original post, but had to reply. If your car is fine on dry roads & hydroplanes in the
rain @ highway speeds. How on earth is that the alignment shops fault?? Try slowing down or
put the skinny tires back on. Common sense is priceless.
Old 12-14-11, 04:23 PM
XplicitlyR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having the same problem with my SC300, I have 19x8.5 and 19x11 wheels. I took it to a shop to look at it on a lift and they showed me were my hub barrings had a lot of play in them. I took it home and replaced the bearings and installed all new polyurethane bushings in the front end. After replacing the tires and getting an alignment everything is great now.

Quick Reply: Car feels sensitive on the road..