Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Parts i've replaced after 125k miles, what is next?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 05:17 PM
gtmax
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts i've replaced after 125k miles, what is next?

I'm getting a better feel for car maintenance, particularly from reading info on this here forum. I started with the infamous ball Joints. Have to be honest and say i didn't notice any difference in driving feel. Next were all motor mounts and the transmission mount. I suppose the car idles less roughly but also not a night/day difference.

Changing one part inevitably leads to the discovery that another part is well past due. So the upper control arms are shot. I got them sitting in my living room but haven't had time to install them yet. I put in new OEM dampers (shocks) and aftermarket (Tanabe) Springs. The car rides silky smooth, or as smooth as the road i'm on. When i miss avoiding a pothole i can feel it in my skeletal system. I think i'd rather drive onto incoming traffic then hit a major pothole.

Even after replacing these two parts (Dampers/Spring), i still don't feel the car to be as tight as i imagine it would be when new/er. I did the last service at the dealer and the day immediately after, it felt great, very tight. It didn't last long and it must be because the suspension components were way overdue - not having had changed anything in 12yrs.

Today i ordered many parts from Sewell. Among them were Steering Bushings which i think hold the key to getting that nice, tight steering back. also ordered front pads, fitting kit and shim kit - same for the rear. Buying parts is the closest i can come to knowing what a woman feels like at Marshalls.

I didn't buy some of the smaller components for the suspension, like the top hat and other things. I wish i had because now i have new parts with very old, small parts. So my question is, what else needs replacing? I recently noticed im' getting a horrid, ludicrously low mpg - like <250mi per tank. Should i get a new fuel filter?

Im' sure the lower control arms should be next and then i suppose tie-rod and what not? I'm not sure if there was a comprehensive thread about which suspension components one should have replaced and at what interval, so if you guys want to post that in here please feel free.

Thanks for listening and look forward to some feedback.
Old 11-10-11, 08:14 AM
850Lexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gtmax
Buying parts is the closest i can come to knowing what a woman feels like at Marshalls.
I know what you mean. It was a shopping spree buying all the parts for my motor swap for my Honda. My wife asked to stop after a few weeks of buying.

Have you replaced spark plugs? I would think that would be one of the biggest culprits of poor MPG. Once they get close to 100k I have notice fuel economy begins to suffer. I am at 180k and I need to replace mine. I have a K&N filter with the ebay intake mod for my GS3 and I get 18 city/ 23 hwy. I wouldn't think you would need to replace fuel filter unless it was clogged and not running or unless you just want to know what was changed when.

The tie rods and lower control arms were the first things I replaced. Castor bushing are next. I cant tell you how many times I have had the wheels balanced or went to have the rotors turned because they felt warped. The steering wheel shakes at 70+ and the car wonders. I am hoping Castor bushing will cure all. All of my other bushing I have visually inspected and they look of for now.
Old 11-10-11, 01:55 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 Lower ball joints
2 Tie rods Inner
3 Tie rods outer
4 Upper control arms
5 Sway bar bushings
6 Sway bar end links
7 Daizen front control arm bushing kit which includes caster arms and lower control arms (good luck getting these)
8 Steering rack bushings

After all of these you will have a new car
Old 11-10-11, 03:17 PM
gtmax
Driver

as a matter fact i did buy a Spark Plug on my latest shopping spree at Sewell. I'm wondering if i can DIY type of job. I hadn't noticed teh mpg too much but ~200mi per tank, local driving/some highway, is just ridiculous.
Old 11-10-11, 04:46 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spark plugs are very self exPlanatory, once you remove the plastic air intake you have to remove the tthrottle body and thats how you get to the plugs.
Old 11-11-11, 05:31 AM
gtmax
Driver

Remove throttle body? I'll let my mechanic in there. I only have a screwdriver and wrench. :lol
Old 11-14-11, 11:06 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gtmax
Remove throttle body? I'll let my mechanic in there. I only have a screwdriver and wrench. :lol
If you have a screwdriver, you can remove the throttle body. It's one screw. Look up the pic by pic DIY stuff on here and get it done. It's easy. I started with a screwdriver and one crescent wrench repairing little things on my GS back in 07'. I slowly picked up a few extra tools (socket set!!!) and can do any job on the GS now thanks to Club Lexus help

FYI, things I've done to get my 10 yr old GS handling like a new M5:

OEM ball joints
OEM tie rods
lowering springs + new KYB shocks
Daizen bushings for the old control arms
Daizen steering rack bushings
TRD sways bars + bushings

I didn't even know how to change my brake pads when I first started. But it's rewarding to have a great-handling car and know you did the labor for free!
Old 11-16-11, 01:54 PM
gtmax
Driver

Thanks man. Will check the DIY thread for the spark plugs.
Old 11-17-11, 08:40 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to get an alignment. I'm sure you already knew that but I didn't see it mentioned.

For better mpg, well doing the spark plugs should help. Now I'm not sure if our cars even have a fuel filter you can service.....? Has the timming belt and water pump been done? If not, you may want to at seeing how your over 125k. Other then suspension regular maintenance should be considered, like fluids and filters.
Old 11-18-11, 04:29 PM
gtmax
Driver

I did all that stuff on the big 90K mile service. Today i filled up again and i got less than 200mi for the tank! I always wanted to have something in common with a Ferrari, but not this. I hope its the sparkplug.