Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Dual Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 04:05 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh... so youre just dumb... never mind lol
Old 12-28-11, 04:27 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

∧∧∧Man, why'd you have to talk like that, bringing all kind of negativity into this thread. It seems like you're the one who's dumb for not understanding what spdrcr771 was trying to say. Nobody should waste their time talking to you. You better check people background first before saying he's dumb or whatever. What have you done for this forum if anybody may ask? I guess so, so shut up.
Old 12-28-11, 04:52 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

^ at least you're able to type coherent full sentences. anything else useful you'd like to contribute to this thread while you're at it king philip?
Old 12-28-11, 04:54 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

and i dont know. anything useful added to thread by me? how about the first post ive made in this thread was the leading to someone who fabricates dual caliper setups as well as other custom projects made to order? as requested by op?? yea...i guess i should shut up.
Old 12-29-11, 05:58 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so since this question came up, there really isnt a way to get it done. My rear knuckles are at my machinist right now trying to figure out a way to make it work but because of the toe arms locations, drum hardware and the TPMS sensor there's really not a way to do it. if you got a small caliper from will wood you might be able to do it but as far as adding a stock caliper to the other side it cant be done.

Name:  DSC_0965.jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  95.6 KB
Old 01-02-12, 05:45 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does your hydro setup lockup the drum or the caliper?
Old 01-04-12, 08:01 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd assume the caliper, seeing as the e-brake it mechanically engaged.

Biggu, so there's absolutely no room to to put maybe, two IS300 rear calipers on (from what i can see from pictures online, they appear to be smaller), utilizing a custom bracket from the original mounting points, having them mounted right beside each other?

On a side note, I recently saw an Aston Martin Vantage and it has a dual rear caliper setup.
Old 01-04-12, 09:36 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

my hyrdo is inline and locks the caliper.

pieisgude,

It doesent look like it would be able to be done with a stock type caliper. it would probably have to be something to the effect of a small willwood caliper, nothing major is needed anyway
Old 01-04-12, 11:08 AM
Dv8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know multi piston 2 piece calipers have the pistons per side separated and connected by an external hard line. That could in itself work by hooking up the hydro brake to one side, and the cars brakes to the other.

But, has anyone seen multi piston calipers that have pairs of pistons (like per side) separated. I remember seeing something goofy like it in an old option magazine. Can't remember if it was like what I first mentioned or what.
Old 01-05-12, 08:11 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

ive thought about doing that as well just gotta find one that would mount up and work id suppose.
Old 03-15-12, 11:45 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Late response but like a few people said:

In line hydro has multiple issues, among them changing the brake pedal feel, and bleeding issues. They don't always lock consistently either.

The drum brake would not have anything to do with a staging brake at all.

The drum brake is not good enough for locking the rear wheel (drifting)

I am just looking to see if anyone has ever seen someone fabricate a bracket for either a aftermarket wilwood or maybe a evo rear brembo or something.
Old 03-15-12, 01:22 PM
Bender25
Pole Position

Audi R8's have a dual caliper setup in the rear, the mini one serves as a parking brake. I'm not saying go buy an audi caliper, just illustrating what the OP wants-

http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/autobl...ay_large04.JPG

Op, maybe something like this- http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cali...temno=120-2281

With an aggressive pad maybe that will have enough bite to do what you need, and they're not crazy expensive.

Last edited by Bender25; 03-15-12 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-15-12, 02:28 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Alright. I know this might sound entirely stupid. Biggu and Obeewon chime in on this. What if you ran a separate reservoir and MC that was smaller and used that on a separate hydro? I'm just talking out of my *** right now.
Old 03-16-12, 08:28 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

that would be the plan if you run dual calipers.

some one mentioned getting a dual piston caliper with a cross over tube. IMO that woudlnt work either because the pressure on the other side would cause the other side piston to recess back in and you would probably warp a rotor or so.

from what I have gathered from other people in japan, best bet is endless pads and new cables and adjust the crap outta it.
Old 03-21-12, 05:49 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^Yep Biggu hit it. The problem is the fluid running through the same line. As a matter of fact just the act of the caliper closing causes a weird pedal feel.

On a S14 the rear calipers can be used with the e-brake handle and you can feel the brake pedal dip when you do.

Im going to look into endless drum pads and a new cable. It just takes a lot of force to lock up.

Quick Reply: Dual Calipers