Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowering Issues / Questions ... Please Resond!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-02, 02:47 AM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Issues / Questions ... Please Resond!

Hey guys.. Im a newbie to the GS family, I recenctly picked up a new GS300 (in love with it) .... went from a 500RWHP Twin turbo supra... but a nice change..

anyways... quick question you guys can help me out with...

I got a set of 20x8.5 (all around) running 245/35/20 all around ... the car is stock height, but DEFINITALY needs to be lowered.

I am not going the coilover route just becuase I dont want to spend 1k+ for suspension, this mod for me is purely cosmetic... anyways...

Im debating between the Eibach verus the H&R .. my wheel are 38mm offset (I think) all around.. the front is very flush with the fender and the rear tucks in a tad...

basically I want to lower the car as much as I can but at the same time minimzing or removing the chance of rubbing..

what springs would you suggest and please post experiences and pictures if available...

THANKS ALOT!
Old 10-07-02, 02:52 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H&R for sure at least...
Old 10-07-02, 02:57 AM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

no rubbing worries?
Old 10-07-02, 03:53 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

from my experience,

18x9/+37, 35 mm drop
18x10/+37, 30 mm drop

HR is not as low as the above drop, i have lined up 2 GS side-by-side, one with HR springs. btw, if you are curious, i have Kg/mm springs from japan...

so, you should not have problem

Old 10-07-02, 04:42 AM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

Well the H&R are 1.5" in the front and 1.3" in the rear so it would be in the same range as your numbers, but then again, I have 20's

Any other comments... especially if I have 4 full size adults in the car + full tank of gas + small sub box...

thoughts?
Old 10-07-02, 05:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well with 20" you can just add another 1/2" to the "effective" drpo of the h&r to 2.0 and 1.8 (coz' the diameter of the wheels are now 1" more than stock). i believe you still have plenty of gap

seriously the only concern i have is the shock. the stock shocks are too soft to handle the dampening. that's why you might rub the wheels against the fender. and that's exactly why some people might suggest you get coilover. i have coilover and almost no gap front and back, and i never rub even my wheels are very close to the fender
Old 10-07-02, 12:01 PM
JacobT

20x8.5 +38mm offset with H&R springs.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering Issues / Questions ... Please Resond!-dcp00325.jpg  
Old 10-07-02, 02:41 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

the pic above should give you good idea on te HR drop...

though HR specs reveal ~the same drop as mine..after i compared mine with 3 other GS with HR, there is a difference...

20s are slightly taller, so that would fill up the gap more as Jacob's pic shown
Old 10-07-02, 03:07 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

Thanks for the pictures and help guys...

question about the shocks.. what your saying is that because the stock shocks are softer then some aftermarket shocks, this softness will lead to rubbing on bumps, dipps and whatnot?

Then again, the H&R's are the stiffest replacement springs in the market, so rubbing would be minimized.

Is this correct...?
Old 10-07-02, 05:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well spring is one thing, but i believe shocks play a bigger role in the compression of the suspension. meaning when you go over a bump on the ls430, the wheel will travel up instead of the whole car. this is mostly coz' the soft shocks
Old 10-07-02, 05:04 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

stock shocks are fine for..BUT, they will wear out faster due to now the progressive spring rate on the HR....they will not causing rubbing...also the "stiffness" of the springs usually are not related to rubbing issues...

when the drop is too low and wrong wheel offsets, you would have rubbing problem..

i would recommend replace both spring and shocks at the saem time..(L-tuned or Bilsteins shcoks)
Old 10-07-02, 05:24 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

I know its not ideal, but my plan is to install the H&R's with the stock shocks... (mine have about 2k on them) and ride them out until they wear or I hate the feeling...

after they wear or the ride isnt to my liking, I will go ahead and replace the shocks with Bilsteins or something of that caliber...

its not even the ride im most concerned with.. its more of the rubbing that Im worried with... but once again... the front seems flush and the rear is a bit inside... to my understanding I should be fine with the H&R's

... hmm...

Last edited by SpdRcr0; 10-07-02 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-08-02, 10:26 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I had H&R w/ bilstein shocks for a few months and it rode excellant ! I have 20's on as well, but recently I changed over to Teins because I HATE GAP. I NEVER had rubbing issues with H&R's even with a full load of people. Going with this combo is night and day from stock suspension.
Old 10-08-02, 12:16 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

.. thanks for all your help guys ... I already order the H&R's and hoping to have them installed this weekend... (crusing you know .. )

Anyways... I will probably ride out the stock shocks as long as I can, then get the Bilstein or something..

DIESELMAN63: What type of gap did you have on the 20s w/H&R's? Any pics?

Last edited by SpdRcr0; 10-08-02 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-08-02, 05:02 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SpdRcr0
.. thanks for all your help guys ... I already order the H&R's and hoping to have them installed this weekend... (crusing you know .. )

Anyways... I will probably ride out the stock shocks as long as I can, then get the Bilstein or something..

DIESELMAN63: What type of gap did you have on the 20s w/H&R's? Any pics?
Sorry man, when I had the H&R's I didn't take any pics . You see at first, I thought H&R's will be a low enough drop. I WAS satisified for the first couple of months, then the gap (around 2 fingers in the back, less in the front) started to annoy me. I wanted a more aggressive stance, and Tein HA have achieved the look that I want.

Quick Reply: Lowering Issues / Questions ... Please Resond!