Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Weird noise coming from passenger rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 09:33 PM
handogg
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird noise coming from passenger rear axle

I took the wheel off for a closer look but didn't notice anything worn or out of the ordinary.

The sound is like a light metal clanking noise similar to the noise made by the front lower ball joints before they failed.

The noise happens mostly at idle speed and more so on turns. W the car in park if you push the car from one side or the other, the car will also make the sound.

After inspecting and finding nothing wrong, I put the wheel back on and the noise goes away for a day or two but unfortunately comes back

1998 Lexus gs 300

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-25-11, 11:47 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

noise comes and goes most likely bushings but that would squeak. Are your muffler hangers intact?
Old 10-26-11, 07:05 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by handogg
I took the wheel off for a closer look but didn't notice anything worn or out of the ordinary.

The sound is like a light metal clanking noise similar to the noise made by the front lower ball joints before they failed.

The noise happens mostly at idle speed and more so on turns. W the car in park if you push the car from one side or the other, the car will also make the sound.

After inspecting and finding nothing wrong, I put the wheel back on and the noise goes away for a day or two but unfortunately comes back

1998 Lexus gs 300

Thanks in advance.
Learn to search. This has been discussed a ton on here. The link with all the info was 9 spots below your's. I'm pretty sure it your rear knuckle bushing. Happened on my 99. Noise normally starts on the right side. If you read this thread carefully you shouldn't have any more questions.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...placement.html
Old 10-28-11, 11:24 AM
handogg
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

well, your assuming I know what a knuckle is or what a bushing was before reading the thread.. all I knew was weird noise.. I needed help making that connection. Any way, Thank you very much for the heads up! Lexus wanted $65 just for diagnosis which I was going to pay but they then said 2 hour wait.

Is there any danger of driving w/ this condition or is this merely an annoyance factor?

Last edited by handogg; 10-28-11 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-28-11, 06:56 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by handogg
well, your assuming I know what a knuckle is or what a bushing was before reading the thread.. all I knew was weird noise.. I needed help making that connection. Any way, Thank you very much for the heads up! Lexus wanted $65 just for diagnosis which I was going to pay but they then said 2 hour wait.

Is there any danger of driving w/ this condition or is this merely an annoyance factor?
no, the bushing is enclosed in metal so it should not catastrophically fail. but the noise will get worse and worse until your car sounds like a mattress.