Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Whiteline HD Sway bars on the SC400

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-02, 02:30 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whiteline HD Sway bars on the SC400

Gang,

Hey, I wanted to update you on my project to install Whiteline HD sway bars on the SC. The HD sway bars have the adjustable feature with different mounting holes for the end links. Whiteline does make a standard upgrade bar with no adj feature. Again, these are the Mkiv Supra sway bars and will need the center sway bar mounts from a Mkiv Supra inorder to fit on the SC.

For those somewhat familiar to this upgrade there has always been the general idea that you need these rear Supra center mounts to make this work...but what has been missing from any thread is exactly what you need. As it turns out...you need the rear cushions that actually bolt between the rear subframe and the floor of the car. Ouch...70each. Why has this not been documented? Anyways, I like the idea of having the sway bar actually mount to the subframe instead of the body.

So, I will be installing both upgraded Whiteline adjustable sway bars along with the rear cushion mounts next week. I will document all the part numbers and pics for everyone as a faq. Oh, and some real world driving tests too.
Old 10-04-02, 08:44 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, thanks. I'm looking at doing the same here real soon. So much for keeping the Lex stock!!!

Anyway - would love to see a parts list of required parts to do the whole job. Thanks in advance for your help.

Keith
Old 10-04-02, 12:18 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

ToyLexmods,

Those Subframe mounts are $63 or so from www.parts.com

I have a set of f/r supra sways being sent to me now.

Let me know if you see anything else under there that you would replace to do a better job. Like the factory mounting bolts or other parts.

MW
Old 10-04-02, 12:51 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, where ya been man? Long time no speak, how's the All Trac doing?

- Jon
Old 10-04-02, 10:44 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Jon,

Hey, I have dropped in from time to time...too many cars and too many projects. The season is here for my Alltrac and the snow is on the way...already the peaks are covered and its snowing out right now.

As for parts.com...are those Toyota parts? I get a pretty good discount on my parts from Toyota...I will check the actual price when they come in.

And yes, I will post docs/pics of the install. Oh, pcmw...check the stock front Supra bar before you take your SC bar off. I think they are one in the same. One of the reasons I went with the adjustable Whiteline bars...I can dial in each as needed. You cant do that with the TRD or stock Supra bars.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-04-02, 11:20 PM
808state
Driver

Default Re: Whiteline HD Sway bars on the SC400

Originally posted by ToyLexmods
Gang,

Hey, I wanted to update you on my project to install Whiteline HD sway bars on the SC. The HD sway bars have the adjustable feature with different mounting holes for the end links. Whiteline does make a standard upgrade bar with no adj feature. Again, these are the Mkiv Supra sway bars and will need the center sway bar mounts from a Mkiv Supra inorder to fit on the SC.

For those somewhat familiar to this upgrade there has always been the general idea that you need these rear Supra center mounts to make this work...but what has been missing from any thread is exactly what you need. As it turns out...you need the rear cushions that actually bolt between the rear subframe and the floor of the car. Ouch...70each. Why has this not been documented? Anyways, I like the idea of having the sway bar actually mount to the subframe instead of the body.

So, I will be installing both upgraded Whiteline adjustable sway bars along with the rear cushion mounts next week. I will document all the part numbers and pics for everyone as a faq. Oh, and some real world driving tests too.
did you do a comparison (when looking around for sway bars) with the daizen sway bar set at tm engineering? the daizen rears are suppose to be adjustable also. mounts using the existing oe brackets and comes with stiffer polyurethane bushings. when i did a search online, saw a number of cars (though no lexus cars) with whiteline sway bars (blue).

the trd ones (according to the gs forum and for the gs, proably the sc ones would also be made for the supra) seem really difficult to get even if you wanted them.

here's a link on the installation on a celica (i think).
http://howto.henryvo.com/swaybars.html

hope your install goes well.
Old 10-06-02, 02:15 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Well, yes...I have been in the market for some time. There has been some question about the center sway bar mounting to the floor on the SC. The Supra bar is much neater install with the center mounting points attached to the subframe. Maybe it amounts to a hill of beans....but I want the sway bar to mount to the subframe not the floor of the trunk.

Also, have you looked at that SC sway bar...it has to go a long way to accomidate that center mount. The Supra bar is straight forward with no extra distance or bends to accomidate that floor mounting point. Again, my opinion.

Lastly, Whiteline HD adjustable sway bars sell for 140ea. Standard TRD Supra bars...320pair with discount and no adjustable feature. Both bars will require those center Supra mounts at 70ea. Diazen? how much? retain the stock SC mount to the floor. My choice was the Whiteline...thats all.
Old 10-06-02, 05:45 AM
808state
Driver

the daizen price can be viewed and bought at: http://www.tmengineering.net/suspens...n/make/sc.html

if the link doesn't come up, then at:
http://www.tmengineering.net

daizen would be about the same as the whiteline if you included the cost of the rear cushions you mentioned about (i'm guessing this is a bracket and bushings to mount the rear sway bar) for the whitelines. wonder if there are stiffer cushions available (front and rear) or the ones you got are the stiffer ones?

as you metioned before, whitelines both adjustable front (btf67z) and rear (btf67r) with diameters of 30mm and 20mm (i'm assuming mm because their online catalogue didn't say what units) respectively. wonder what the stock sizes are?

as for rear mounting points, i'm not exactly sure if it would make that great of a difference, but i'm no expert let alone competent to say the least. but in looking at the oe mouting points, it seems like it's ok since the rear subframe(i think...looks like mouting cushions for the rear subframe/rear differential) has some mounting points right next to the sway bar. if it's good enough for that, i guess it's adequate for the sway bar. wonder why they made it different than the supra? toyota engineers must have had their reasons (hope they were good).

probably couldn't go wrong with either the daizen or whitline. depending on what you're looking for... but what i can gather:

daizen if you want a drop in oe replacement/one stop shopping/ upgrade of sway bars and bushings, adjustability of rear.

whiteline if you want for a different rear mounting point but with added parts needed to be purchased (your faq should help clear the picture) from another company besides whiteline but with an added feature of front adjustable sway.

trd, based on cost, availability, and adjustability(none), doesn't seem very appealing.

i don't think the aussies have much of a write up on using the whitelines on their soarers. you'd figure since it's an austrailian product, they'd be the first. then again, i'm not sure they even have them with their active suspension.

looking forward to seeing your faq and review.
Old 10-06-02, 02:05 PM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

So, all you need to install are Supra rear subframe mounts??
Old 10-06-02, 09:55 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Slasher...

Yep, there called cushions.
Old 10-07-02, 04:52 AM
808state
Driver

links for those who are interested in sway bars:

http://www.daizensporttuning.com
http://www.whiteline.com.au

maybe someone can post a link for the trd ones?
Old 10-12-02, 09:54 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Hey gang,

Quick update....bars are in and they are very nice. Pics and docs to follow but the quick and dirty...

Whiteline front sway bar...23.5lbs
Stock front sway bar........8.5lbs
Whiteline rear Supra sway bar 8.5lbs
Stock rear SC sway bar....7.5lbs and its twice as long.

Bottom line the Whiteline bars fit perfect, are solid not hollow, have adjustments on the front and rear bars.

Old 10-12-02, 10:19 PM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

Damn!
Old 10-13-02, 08:19 AM
808state
Driver

Hey gang,

Quick update....bars are in and they are very nice. Pics and docs to follow but the quick and dirty...

Stock front sway bar........8.5lbs
was that a typo(3.5x as heavy)? are most sway bars that much more?

better get boost now that you've got the suspension set up!
Old 10-13-02, 06:45 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Gang,

Slight correction...the front Whiteline bar is 21.5lbs not 23.5. It was a late night and I was typing from memory. I did write down the specs. And yes, the stock bar is 8.5lbs.....both measure 30mm but the stock bar is hollow....Whiteline is solid.

Actually, for the tight twisties...the car is just fine. No lag, instant response and no body roll. You can carry more speed in and hit the gas on exit much sooner. Remember, if I want boost....I get my Supra out.

Quick Reply: Whiteline HD Sway bars on the SC400