Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

First Time Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 03:10 PM
MHarner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Lowering

Hi all,

Not sure why I'm having so much trouble wrapping my head around lowering a car. I've been toying with the idea of lowering my 99 GS400 since it needs all new front/rear bushings at the moment anyway. I've decided to go springs vs. coilovers bc I doubt I'll need to adjust up/down. However, I can't really find a detailed list of what I need. Obviously lowering springs....front the research I've done I know I also need shocks and struts, preferably from the same company as the springs to get a consistent spring rate. Do I need anything else? Sitting on OEM 16's (not sure why my GS400 didn't come with the OEM 17's....which I may get eventually), what would you suggest for lowering approx 1.5" - 2" in front, maintaining a smooth ride? I had a comparison chart of the typical brands comparing cost/lowering numbers, etc, but I can no longer find it. I just want to get rid of my wheel gap, remain smooth, but get a bit sportier around corners, and not spend a fortune =\

Thank you for any help. And if your response is "Search!", please tell me what to look for bc I'm clueless.

Last edited by MHarner; 10-18-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 03:27 PM
JEBAAY
Driver

Try Tanabes DF210 springs they will lower the fnt:1.7 ins.Rear: 1.3 ins.Bilstein sport shocks work well with these springs.The ride is very close too stock. Good Luck on whatever choose to buy.
Old 10-18-11, 05:46 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JEBAAY
Try Tanabes DF210 springs they will lower the fnt:1.7 ins.Rear: 1.3 ins.Bilstein sport shocks work well with these springs.The ride is very close too stock. Good Luck on whatever choose to buy.
Listen to the man! Tanabe DF210's and bilsteins are a great combo. But you should probably know that if you do this in combination with a bushing kit (Diazen) , The ride of your car will become stiffer than stock. Not harsh or bouncy, Just nice and firm. Like a bmw. Also a little factoid for you is that the term "strut" refers to a shock mounted within the center of a coil-spring as one assembly.

Like so.........
Old 10-18-11, 06:11 PM
gtmax
Driver

I'm in th same exact situation as the op. I bought the tanabe df210 - though the description for mine said a drop of 1.2 at the front and 0.8 rear. I'm also sitting on 16" oems and I'm really trying to get something else before I buy new tires.

The op did scared me a little when he said shock AND struts. Normally is shock/struts. I just ordered a pair of oems from Sewell. They were 200 bucks cheaper than my local dealer!!!

I can't wait to see what it feels like.
Old 10-18-11, 06:21 PM
MHarner
Driver School Candidate

Bushing kit is not a problem as I need to do the bushings anyway. Thanks for clarifying "struts" for me. As you can tell I know nothing about suspensions.

For those who have purchased the DF210's, Blistein sport shocks, and the Daizen bushing kit can you post links to where you got them? For the bushings is it just the control arm bushings, steering rack, and sway bar bushings or is there more to the "kit"?

Any other recommendations besides the Tanabes?

Last edited by MHarner; 10-18-11 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 07:23 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

go with bc coils. i've been through that route before with shocks and springs
Old 10-18-11, 09:39 PM
MHarner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
go with bc coils. i've been through that route before with shocks and springs

What brand are "BC" coils? And can you be more specific on why I should go with coilovers...they seem to be more expensive.
Old 10-21-11, 04:28 AM
gtmax
Driver

Anyone can give an estimate on how much you can look to spend on installing Springs/Shocks? Is it a simple take out the old, put in the new type job?
Old 10-21-11, 05:16 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MHarner
What brand are "BC" coils? And can you be more specific on why I should go with coilovers...they seem to be more expensive.
BC is the brand. A lot of people go with Megan also.

Personally I have Tein S-Tech springs with KYB shocks. Nice combo, lowers approx. 1.8" and the ride is close to stock. I have never bottomed out and rarely scrape.

If you do the install yourself it'd be cheaper to go with springs & shocks (if you don't need adjustability).
Old 10-21-11, 08:16 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Tanabe DF210...trust me when i saw this " THE CARE RIDES BETTER THAN FACTORY" its low but not too low and it is firm no bouncy, nutting just perfect like floating in the air....you will love it..with that and if your factory shocks are good then you should be fine...
Old 10-21-11, 08:18 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

the springs run about $250 could be more or a little less depends on where you get them...you can check amazon
Old 10-21-11, 08:19 AM
gtmax
Driver

Nice to hear Ryan! I've got all the parts and i'm installing it tomorrow. I just want 5-10% sharper response in handling and not float over undulations on the road.
Old 10-21-11, 10:28 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

kool...let me know how it goes
Old 10-23-11, 05:51 AM
gtmax
Driver

Got it done yesterday. The guy took a while to do it and it didn't help that it got dark on us. Lexus OEM shocks/NF210 springs. Long ride on 4east going home to test them out - though wife was there so couldn't go crazy. The car felt incredibly smooth. I never owned it new but this must be what it feels like new.

I got nervous going home because now i need an alignment - there's a big offset in steering wheel/tires angle. But the car wasn't pulling or anything like that. The dude that did the job said in about a week it'll completely drop to its described amount (1.2F, 0.8R), right now it looks a little lower but hard to tell.

Soon as i sat in it, i could tell the driving position was different. Feels like the front is much lower - good thing. Today i'm putting in 17" wheels/tires set and getting an alignment. Only bad news is that i now need upper control arms since they are shot.

I will give more detailed impressions after the alignment. Very happy so far.
Old 10-25-11, 04:01 PM
gtmax
Driver

Finally had the alignment done yesterday. Went in to 're-torque' it today. So now i have stock Dampers (shocks/struts/whatever) and Tanabe Springs. I also switched my stock RIMS to 17" and bought fresh rubber. I thought i would lose a lot of the weightiness to the steering by being on slightly higher rims but that hasn't been the case - maybe the lowering helped?

Today i went on the Jackie Robinson to do a little stress test on the suspension but i have to be honest, i don't notice a big difference from before. I feel certain bumps on the road a little rougher, but at the same time, the suspension doesn't feel any stiffer - could it be the OEM Dampers? I thought it was just a videogame thing, but seems like its true that if you stiffen the springs, you gotta stiffen the dampers as well. I'm curious as to what those Bilstein Dampers might be like with these Springs.

I'm going to invest in a strut bar to go over the engine and hopefully that'll reduce some bodyroll, but my biggest gripe is the overly floaty feel of the ride. On the highway, on a flat surface it feels incredibly smooth but id' gladly trade in some smoothness for sharper handling/less body roll. Also the rear feels a little loose or something. I gotta do some aggressive maneuvering on an empty lot to see if everything is tight back there.

I was also told the car might not fully drop until the end of the week or so. I hope that's the case because i can't tell if the car is lower or if i just think it is because it should.

Quick Reply: First Time Lowering