Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Which coilovers are good for improving handling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-11, 08:38 AM
getfunky
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which coilovers are good for improving handling?

I know there are tons of threads on coilovers but with every thread I find, it appears that there's not much concern with with handling as there are comfort and features. I do care for reliability, ease of maintenance and also features but for someone like me, who is concerned mostly with handling, which coilovers are best for me?

I'm looking to spend $1400, preferable under that price. Do most coilovers in the sub $1000 perform the same?
Old 10-15-11, 12:04 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

BC racing - Custom rates, you can go as soft as you like
Megan - Slams real low and members say it rides real comfortable 12kg/8kg and 10kg/8kg
Tanabe - Moderate 2-2.5 inch drop soft ride 10kg/8kg
Tein - about 2.5-2.7 inch drop spring rates are a little higher in the rear 9kg/9kg

you can try out other brands in that $1400 range like HSD coilovers, Stance, D2.

Steer away from Function Form coilovers and Yellow Speed coilovers if you dont want a solid stiff ride.
Old 10-15-11, 04:39 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BC Racing gets my vote! I have them and love them after having them just over 2 years. =)
Old 10-15-11, 05:36 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I had BCR on my 250 and it was a good ride at 10F/8R. Now i have Stance GR+ on the 350 and it has a beefier tube. Same spring rate as the BCR but a more stiffer ride which i like.
Old 10-15-11, 11:21 PM
getfunky
Driver

BC racing - Custom rates, you can go as soft as you like
Megan - Slams real low and members say it rides real comfortable 12kg/8kg and 10kg/8kg
Tanabe - Moderate 2-2.5 inch drop soft ride 10kg/8kg
Tein - about 2.5-2.7 inch drop spring rates are a little higher in the rear 9kg/9kg

you can try out other brands in that $1400 range like HSD coilovers, Stance, D2.
Thanks for the detailed info! Don't care much for "slamming" my car because I don't ever plan on doing it. Will definitly steer clear from form function and yellow speed.
BC Racing gets my vote! I have them and love them after having them just over 2 years. =)
Wow, that's awesome to hear that you're still happy with them after 2 years. Would you mind giving me more info on your experiences with them? Have you taken your car out to the track? How stiff was the ride and do you ever find it too uncomfortable?

I had BCR on my 250 and it was a good ride at 10F/8R. Now i have Stance GR+ on the 350 and it has a beefier tube. Same spring rate as the BCR but a more stiffer ride which i like.
Yeah, I hear a lot of a good things about BC Racing... but what is it about them that sets them apart from the other coilovers? And once again, I'm not too conserned with soft/comfort but I don't want it TOO stiff either.... hope that's not asking for too much but I remember reading that just because it's stiffer doesn't necessarily mean better handling performance.
Old 10-17-11, 10:12 AM
getfunky
Driver

any more suggestions? i'd like to start tracking my car sometime by next year.
Old 10-17-11, 10:35 AM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

I have never tracked my IS350. However, I can speak of its ride quality, reliability to this date and its durability as I do drive hard every now and then. With the coilovers, I am more confident with taking my 350 to high speeds on the highways, making high speed turns and also cruising in mountain roads. It's actually a huge difference compared to TEIN SS that I have before, since TEIN SS were twin-tube design, the BCR coilovers have a much better advantage for being a monotube coilover.

BCR is definitely not too stiff at all for its preset spring rate. I think it's acceptable for street driving, spirited driving and also light track use. If you want to have a track setup, you can certainly get BCR to do custom spring rates tailored to your personal likings.
You can also ask for either pillowball mounts or rubber mounts, depending on your preference.

I know a few other people with BCR coilovers on Hondas and Acuras and they have been very happy with them for running almost 2 years as well.

If you need to get more info on the BCR coilovers, contact CircuitMS (vendor) and he will hook you up! =)

Good luck with your pick =)
Old 10-17-11, 12:06 PM
getfunky
Driver

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Thanks! I'm pretty much set on the BC Racing coilvers... my only question now is do coilovers have a universal fitment? I found a seller with bc racing coilvers for $750 but he has it listed for a G37. Can these fit on my is350 or will I need to buy one specically taylored for the is350?
Old 10-17-11, 09:48 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

It will be a specific application for the IS350. Please contact CircuitMS (vendor on CL) and he will be able to do price matching with competitors to assure that you get the best price. I've have very shopping experiences with CircuitMS and would recommend ordering from him. You are very welcome. Always here to share and help out other forum members =)
Old 10-18-11, 11:27 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks GSE21 !

Getfunky- You need thr specific kit for your car, they are not universal.

Shoot us a PM and I can help you get a kit that's right for you
Old 10-18-11, 03:18 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

+1 on BCR coilovers! They have been on my car for about 10 months and they handle and ride great (10/8k spring rates). I always get compliments from people who assume my car would be stiff and bouncy because I have coilovers. No one seem to have mentioned that BCR coilovers have user replaceable shock cartridges, so you don't have to send them in to get them rebuilt. Sending coilovers in to get rebuilt costs almost as much as a new set in most cases. BCR shock cartridges are around $90/per. Something else to think about if you're planning on keeping your car for a long time.
Old 10-18-11, 04:23 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
No one seem to have mentioned that BCR coilovers have user replaceable shock cartridges, so you don't have to send them in to get them rebuilt. Sending coilovers in to get rebuilt costs almost as much as a new set in most cases. BCR shock cartridges are around $90/per.
Really? Though I've not seen a set up close...how would a DIY cartridge be possible? Curious to see if this true cuz that is a BIG selling point if its true.
Old 10-18-11, 09:13 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have $1400, go for Stance GR+ Coils
Old 10-19-11, 12:49 AM
iinkz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone with experience with the KW Variant V3's?

How do they compare with BCR's?
Old 10-19-11, 08:22 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
Really? Though I've not seen a set up close...how would a DIY cartridge be possible? Curious to see if this true cuz that is a BIG selling point if its true.
Very true my friend. You pretty much take the coilover apart, and transfer the springs, mounts, sleeves, etc., onto the new shock according to CircuitMS. This user rebuildability is a plus over other coilovers. $95/shock, can't beat that.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...placement.html

Quick Reply: Which coilovers are good for improving handling?