Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sway bars - 2011

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 04:35 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Sway bars - 2011

What are our options for sway bars at this time? I'd like to try and put something together in this format so we have a quick way to reference options. E.g Brand // notes // diameter // cost // link. Eventually I'd like to have a little bible here of the factory options in terms of diameter and cost in each year (I think the fronts changed size twice and the rear changed thrice). I searched for "sway bar" and couldn't find anything specifcally like this on the 1st/2nd pages. I don't want to list "stiffness" percentages because this could all subjective to each manufacturer. If anyone has the inner/outer wall numbers, hollow or not, that would be amazing but I figure that would be hard to come by.

[SC model factory information] *Only number I have is 30.1mm from an old forum post, but I don't know what year or model this is for. I'm pretty sure the rear size changed somewhere in 1992-2000 so I wish we could get that info.

SC300
1992-1994: (f) xx mm (r) xx mm
1995-1996: (f) xx mm (r) xx mm
1997-2000: (f) xx mm (r) xx mm

SC400
1992-1994: (f) xx mm (r) xx mm
1995-1996: (f) xx mm (r) xx mm
1997-2000: (f) xx mm (r) xx mm

[Aftermarket options]
*Format = notes/size/cost/where to buy / link

>Toyota Supra TT rear:
- Requires subframe sway bar mounts. P/N (R) 52205-14020 (L) 52206-14010
- (f)xx mm (r)xx mm
- $?
- (f) 8 lbs. (r) 3 lbs. ***
- CL sponsored vendor or Toyota dealer
-Installation write up document

>Daizen
- I thought these were out of production? Hollow.
- (f) 35mm, (r) 29mm
- $499.95
-TM Engineering SC

>Whiteline
-3 way adjustable. (f) 24lbs (r) 15lbs. Rear P/N BTR79Z
-(f) 30mm, (r) 22mm
-(f) $263.94 (r) $235.07 **MSRP. Can be found from other vendors at different price points.
-Whiteline SC suspension

>Tanabe Sustec
-3 way adjustable. Requires Supra rear subframe mounts and endlinks for installation. Not listed on Tanabe site anymore as of this post date.
-(f) 30.4 mm (r) 22mm
-$340
-Luxury Mods

>Do Luck
-
-
-
-
-TRD
-
-
-
- (f) 11.2 lbs (r) 8.3 lbs. ***
-
-

-Cusco
-
-
-
-

*** http://www.suprahardtopregistry.com/...uction/car.php

Last edited by ISFFUN; 10-29-11 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 06:55 PM
kponti
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea!

The SC400 does have 30mm from sway stock. I am wondering just how much stiffer the Whitelines or Tanabe fronts are. I am looking strictly for front sway bars for my SC4 and its been quite a chore to get any solid info on this matter.

Lets not focus on mounts or not in the rear, can we stick to the weights and just how much stiffer the bar itself is compared to stock?
Old 10-28-11, 11:09 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

You can use any sway bar that is made for the MKIV Supra also. Front is a direct fit, the rear you will need to use the MKIV subframe mounts.
Old 10-29-11, 12:30 AM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Cusco makes a set for the Supra MK4. I think that I would probably try those if I didnt have my Daizen's.
Old 10-29-11, 04:59 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

I have the Supra TT on there,, did you mean the NA?

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
You can use any sway bar that is made for the MKIV Supra also. Front is a direct fit, the rear you will need to use the MKIV subframe mounts.
Old 10-29-11, 07:03 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFFUN
I have the Supra TT on there,, did you mean the NA?
Not sure what you mean.

Any aftermarket swaybar that is made for a MKIV fits on an SC. However, for the rear to fir you need to have the TT rear subframe mounts.
Old 10-29-11, 09:12 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

I'm referring to my first post. It sounded like you posted because you thought there was something to be added to the list so I assumed it was specific like the Supra NA vs the TT.

When I dig around to find some aftermarket MKIV bars I'll add them to the post.

thx

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Not sure what you mean.

Any aftermarket swaybar that is made for a MKIV fits on an SC. However, for the rear to fir you need to have the TT rear subframe mounts.
Old 10-30-11, 11:42 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing to this....I was just thinking about sway bar options myself. Are stock TT sways bigger/sticker than stock SC300 sways?
Old 12-13-12, 02:40 AM
FrshPrince
Rookie

Does the Whiteline Sway Bars need the Supra rear subframe mounts?
Old 12-13-12, 03:01 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by FrshPrince
Does the Whiteline Sway Bars need the Supra rear subframe mounts?
Not if they're specifically listed for SC300/400 application.

If the Whiteline rear swaybar you are looking at is listed for the Supra then yes, you'll need Supra rear subframe mounts. The mounting location for the rubber bushings are located on those mounts for the Supra whereas the subframe bits on the SC have no mounting areas for a sway bar. With the factory SC setup, the rear sway bar rubber bushings anchor to the trunk floor. Endlink mounting points are the same for both the Supra and SC.
Old 12-13-12, 05:01 AM
FrshPrince
Rookie

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Not if they're specifically listed for SC300/400 application.

If the Whiteline rear swaybar you are looking at is listed for the Supra then yes, you'll need Supra rear subframe mounts. The mounting location for the rubber bushings are located on those mounts for the Supra whereas the subframe bits on the SC have no mounting areas for a sway bar. With the factory SC setup, the rear sway bar rubber bushings anchor to the trunk floor. Endlink mounting points are the same for both the Supra and SC.
Thanks man, some sites have Supra sway bars listed as SC sways bars. I was just making sure it that wasn't the case.
Old 12-14-12, 07:58 AM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

Now do you guys have any knowledge of TRD subframe mounts working? I am in the process of fitting up the rear swaybar and had to order the rear mounts. Toyota offers two different types of mounts. TRD and OEM stock. TRD is 75 a piece and stock is 98 a piece. Knowing that TRD is cheaper and probably more performance-oriented, i'd rather buy TRD mounts. Just not sure if they'd fit. I can imagine they would.
Old 12-17-12, 02:01 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Shayy
Now do you guys have any knowledge of TRD subframe mounts working? I am in the process of fitting up the rear swaybar and had to order the rear mounts. Toyota offers two different types of mounts. TRD and OEM stock. TRD is 75 a piece and stock is 98 a piece. Knowing that TRD is cheaper and probably more performance-oriented, i'd rather buy TRD mounts. Just not sure if they'd fit. I can imagine they would.
Interesting. I didn't know these were available. I might have bought a set if I'd known but then again, maybe not. I'd get a picture of them if you can and compare to the OEM Supra mounts. As long as the dimensions are the same I don't know why they wouldn't work but keep in mind that compared to the suspension rubber in the SC, much of the OEM Supra parts contain rubber that is already more performance oriented than what you have in your car. I can't tell you either way because I've only used the OEM Supra mounts and I didn't notice any difference from that alone. I can, however, tell you that there was a significant difference after switching from my SC rear sway bar to the Supra OEM rear sway bar and part of that may or may not have had to do with the new subframe mount rubber.
Old 12-21-12, 08:04 AM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

Here are the TRD Supra Subframe mounts. They look the same as the stock ones in pics. I'm assuming they are just stiffer bushings. I will let you know how they fit when I install them in the next week.
Old 12-21-12, 09:16 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

HY!

i changed on my SC400 from oem swaybars to TT swaybars..a great upgrade!

here the front sway bars, left SC, right TT

i modified my rear subframe mounts with a holder for the sway bar

not my picture from the swaybars

my install.

a very great (and cheap) upgrade for the SC

greets

Tom

Quick Reply: Sway bars - 2011