Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Well this is interesting...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 10:12 AM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Well this is interesting...

Had a thread up about my front brakes not completely releasing so my rotors got warped, my pads were glazed, and my front wheel burned me when I touched it, turned out both my front calipers went out...Very odd that they would both do that at the same time but sure enough thats what it was. So I just went and ordered a whole set of drilled and slotted rotors and performance ceramic pads from a company called "Brake Motive" super nice brakes good stopping power and work great. But the most interesting part of my thread is when I took off my rear rotors... my entire emergency brake was GONE nothing left and they zip tied the cable so it wouldnt rub inside ... lol now why would anyone do this? So went to the other side took that rotor off, yeah all the parts were in that side but the brake shoes were completely GONE was metal to metal! And thats how I found out why my emergency brake didn't even work... lol. How much would all those parts cost you think for both sides? And here's a few pics for fun.

Parts GONE

Old 10-04-11, 10:32 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn, how long have you had your SC? You never found out until now?

Sometimes I just can't understand stupid things that stupid people do... Not you, but the people who did this aren't completely thinking and didn't even car to let you know when you got the car...
Old 10-04-11, 10:41 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude we have a similar problem, though my shoes/pads were at least there. I was having terrible vibration issues, (still am actually) and I found out why. The ebrake assembly on mine is messed up as well. Basically, I figured out what happened and I bet this happened to you.

You're going to laugh....

So at some point an idiot probably tried to remove your rear rotors with the ebrake up. So they probably pounded and pounded away and finally broke the pin or spring set up inside. Then they realized what they did and tried to cover it up only never to really fix the problem. And what happened was the ebrake shoe has been rubbing on the inside of your rotor the whole time causing a scratching noise and vibration. I really thought it was a stuck caliper for sure until I took apart the whole assembly this weekend. I barely have any ebrake pad left and my car is unable to stop with the emergency brake engaged. I installed all new rotors and pads but the scratching noise was terrible. So I had to keep loosening the ebrake shoe until there is barely any tension and it can't keep this almost 4,000lbs japanese sled at a full stop when parked on a hill. Now I have to buy all new ebrake shoes, take everything apart, install everything, play with the tension over and over till it doesn't rub. I seriously have a brick in my trunk in case I have to place it under a tire with a minimal incline. A damn brick in my Lexus so it will properly park :facepalm:

Go to autozone, order a new rear ebrake assembly including new shoes, and prepare for a few hours of hell. It's a pain to get those pins and springs all back together behind the wheel hub. Best of luck my friend.
Old 10-04-11, 10:51 AM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Damn, how long have you had your SC? You never found out until now?

Sometimes I just can't understand stupid things that stupid people do... Not you, but the people who did this aren't completely thinking and didn't even car to let you know when you got the car...

Yeah I figured it just needed adjusted when I bought the car, so tried adjusting it and it didnt work. So I never got around to ripping the brakes apart in the rear to check it, I never use my e-brake because everything is flat here in WI so didnt really care at the time. But yeah it was a huge surprise! Some people are just retarded...
Originally Posted by Tabaka
Dude we have a similar problem, though my shoes/pads were at least there. I was having terrible vibration issues, (still am actually) and I found out why. The ebrake assembly on mine is messed up as well. Basically, I figured out what happened and I bet this happened to you.

You're going to laugh....

So at some point an idiot probably tried to remove your rear rotors with the ebrake up. So they probably pounded and pounded away and finally broke the pin or spring set up inside. Then they realized what they did and tried to cover it up only never to really fix the problem. And what happened was the ebrake shoe has been rubbing on the inside of your rotor the whole time causing a scratching noise and vibration. I really thought it was a stuck caliper for sure until I took apart the whole assembly this weekend. I barely have any ebrake pad left and my car is unable to stop with the emergency brake engaged. I installed all new rotors and pads but the scratching noise was terrible. So I had to keep loosening the ebrake shoe until there is barely any tension and it can't keep this almost 4,000lbs japanese sled at a full stop when parked on a hill. Now I have to buy all new ebrake shoes, take everything apart, install everything, play with the tension over and over till it doesn't rub. I seriously have a brick in my trunk in case I have to place it under a tire with a minimal incline. A damn brick in my Lexus so it will properly park :facepalm:

Go to autozone, order a new rear ebrake assembly including new shoes, and prepare for a few hours of hell. It's a pain to get those pins and springs all back together behind the wheel hub. Best of luck my friend.
Yeah I have no e-brake whatsoever anymore lol, I ripped out the ruined parts in the other side that was left. I'll probably order all the new parts soon, not really a huge deal, I didn't use my ebrake anyways. But still why on earth would they just rip out all the parts and throw them away? Stupid people out there I tell ya...
Old 10-04-11, 10:56 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -Samurai-
Yeah I have no e-brake whatsoever anymore lol, I ripped out the ruined parts in the other side that was left. I'll probably order all the new parts soon, not really a huge deal, I didn't use my ebrake anyways. But still why on earth would they just rip out all the parts and throw them away? Stupid people out there I tell ya...
I can't find a lot of parts on our ebrake system online. All I can find is rear ebrake pads. Let me know if you can find a site that sells a lot of the assembly. Best of luck to both of us I guess.

Thanks - Tabaka
Old 10-04-11, 10:58 AM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

I can't find a lot of parts on our ebrake system online. All I can find is rear ebrake pads. Let me know if you can find a site that sells a lot of the assembly. Best of luck to both of us I guess.

Thanks - Tabaka
Oh really :\ well I'll let you know if I find anything.
Old 10-04-11, 11:03 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

This made me laugh, a few days ago me and a friend finished up changing the bushings in the rear to poly's and fix the wheel bearing. And when we were about to put everything back together, my friend said he's gonna get a tool for that pin/spring thingy, when he got back I already got everything assembled. He was so surprised I was able to do it, then I showed him my 10 year old sized fingers and he kept on laughing. At least I can put it on good use... LOL

Originally Posted by -Samurai-
Maybe because they knew you weren't gonna use it? LOL
Old 10-04-11, 11:07 AM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

This made me laugh, a few days ago me and a friend finished up changing the bushings in the rear to poly's and fix the wheel bearing. And when we were about to put everything back together, my friend said he's gonna get a tool for that pin/spring thingy, when he got back I already got everything assembled. He was so surprised I was able to do it, then I showed him my 10 year old sized fingers and he kept on laughing. At least I can put it on good use... LOL

LOL i guess so hahahaha. Still would be nice knowing that I have an ebrake lol. Ya know... for Emergencies... LOL!
Old 10-04-11, 12:23 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check r1 concepts. Last time I went on their site to look for brake shoes, they had a full ebrake hardware replacement kit. Not 100% sure what it comes with, but you might hit em up or give them a try since it's 25$ or something. I picked up the brake shoes from them for ~$30.

p.s.: Am I weird? I use my ebrake every time I park.

edit: here we go http://www.r1concepts.com/lexus-sc40...-118.44028.htm

Last edited by ArodDaLob; 10-04-11 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-04-11, 12:38 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArodDaLob
check r1 concepts. Last time I went on their site to look for brake shoes, they had a full ebrake hardware replacement kit. Not 100% sure what it comes with, but you might hit em up or give them a try since it's 25$ or something. I picked up the brake shoes from them for ~$30.

p.s.: Am I weird? I use my ebrake every time I park.

edit: here we go http://www.r1concepts.com/lexus-sc40...-118.44028.htm
Do you think that kit will work for 300's?

No, that's not weird. I use my ebrake every time I park as well. Most of the time I'll put it in gear with the e-brake engaged. I'll check out r1 concepts. I've seen just the brake shoes online for around $21 each.

Last edited by Tabaka; 10-04-11 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-04-11, 12:40 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Damn you! Takes me like 15 minutes to get the damn pin inside the cap with the spring.
Old 10-04-11, 01:01 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

i just switched car model from sc400 to sc300, and the same 18.44028 part# came up, so it should work.
i HATE drum brakes. someone needs to burn all those f***ing springs with fire. When you get one in right, some other part pops out for some reason.
but the only tool i used was a flathead and a needle nose plier and I was done in like 30 min. I felt the biggest sense of accomplishment after I was done.
Old 10-04-11, 01:08 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArodDaLob
i just switched car model from sc400 to sc300, and the same 18.44028 part# came up, so it should work.
i HATE drum brakes. someone needs to burn all those f***ing springs with fire. When you get one in right, some other part pops out for some reason.
but the only tool i used was a flathead and a needle nose plier and I was done in like 30 min. I felt the biggest sense of accomplishment after I was done.
same method I use, it's frustrating as hell that's for sure.
Old 10-04-11, 01:12 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

My uncle calls it "dumb brakes", because whenever you work on it, it's gonna make you go dumb! LOL
Old 10-04-11, 01:14 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

use
t
o
y
o
d
i
y
c
o
m

project mu are the only manufacturer to release the handbrake shoes other than toyota. (in aussie anyway)

Quick Reply: Well this is interesting...