Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC Sway Bar Bushings...cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-02, 02:32 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SC Sway Bar Bushings...cheap!

We have some urethane sway bar bushings available for the SC300/400's, these are direct replacements for the stock ones, so you don't need to change the sway bars themselves. The difference is pretty noticeable, and not bad for just under 30 bucks!

Usually nowdays you have to spend over 100 to get anything that you can notice hah!

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
www.tmengineering.net
Old 10-01-02, 09:53 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Hi Todd,

I got my bushings yesterday, thanks for shipping them out to NJ so quickly.

The bushings are high quality, better than comparable bushings manufactured by Energy Suspension, and were a perfect fit. Installation took 30 minutes and was simple (remove 8 bolts, install new bushings with a little grease, torque bolts back on to 21 ft-lb). The OEM bushings I took off had 101,000 miles on them and were pretty sloppy. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of improvement these polyurethane bushings made to the overall handling of my 93 SC400. The car definitely corners a little flatter and settles into a turn more predicatably. It is a great permanent fix/upgrade to the OEM rubber bushings, and all for only $30. I am very impressed with these bushings and definitely recommend them to all members with SCs.

DJL
Old 10-02-02, 05:00 PM
928owner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Todd,

I am very interested, but just spent a "wad of cash" to alighn the beast correctly. The only place I have had good luck with alighnments is the dealer (unfortuately). Getting a bad alighmnet may not show up until your tires are "wasted", and tire shops sell ?

So now that the dealer has made all things right with the world again, if I were to change the sway bar bushings, would the alighnment be affected? I put a set of the ureathane bushings about two years ago on my 928, and they have a grease fitting as well. That may or may not be usefull, as the poly should have some self lubricating properties. Are yours equiped with the grease fittings?

Let me know, as so far the T/M products are fantastic!

Bob
Old 10-02-02, 05:48 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

This will not affect the alignment at all. If you have the time you should come up here to Torrance, I have a really good alignment guy but he's only open on weekdays unfortunately. If you have a need in the future let me know and I'll get you the information.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'll just post it here for everyone's reference!

Gardena Brake/Alignment
20942 S. Normandie Ave.
Torrance, CA
310 328 1177

Ask for Gil

They're like 1/2 mile S of the 405 at the Normandie Exit.

This guy is good and makes sure everything is right.

These bushings do not have a grease fitting, as they use the factory bracket. I think what happened was that to tool new brackets would have increased the cost so much that it would have defeated the purpose of being an economical upgrade. They do have extensive grooving inside to retain the grease, which should alleviate any problems with them drying out over time. I think the worst case would be regreasing after 2 or more years, but nothing that would require looking after every month or anything like that. That wouldn't be any less maintenance than regular chassis joints and isn't unreasonable IMO. I think they are going to start coming with a waterproof PTFE grease as well, which should keep everything lubed for a long, long time.

This project is something you can finish in no time with simple tools, as djl has already mentioned. It's fun and self gratifying to work on your own car, but with the way cars are made nowdays there's never a whole lot you can do yourself! The increase in cornering is pretty amazing for such a simple upgrade too.

Let me know if you have any other questions or you would like a set of these...

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
www.tmengineering.net
Old 10-02-02, 06:26 PM
928owner
Driver

Talking

Hmmm.... and it sounds like there is no torch needed (I actually know that). Neighbors are still talking about "crazy Bob" and his A frame BBQ he had going a few weeks ago...... no one wanted to "eat" them when they were "done" .

Yes, I would like to cruise up there, but I am a slave to the paycheck, so weekends are all that are open. I am sure we could trade "war" stories on our experiences, and it would be a kick. I have an Engineeing background (electronics), but don't do much of that anymore.... I have taken up directing Regulatory and Quality Assurance requirements for medical device companies, but still love to "play" for therapeutic reasons.

Hopefully before the end of the year I can get up there.... I did go to the Carson deal last month, but most of the cars were for the "younger crowd".

CYA
Old 10-02-02, 07:54 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So pretty much all you have to do is remove 8 bolts, scrape out the old bushings (haha), grease the outside of the new poly bushings with PTFE grease, torque bolts to 21 lb/ft and thats it?
Old 10-02-02, 08:34 PM
928owner
Driver

Cool

I don't believe any scape work is required for these, or torches, but Todd the man should confirm that.

Where is my floor jack at???? I'm ready to go!
Old 10-02-02, 09:46 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi guys,

No need to "scrape" off the old bushings, just slip them right off, they have a slit on the side. The polyurethane replacements go on the same way, just pry the slit open and wrap around the bar, no sweat at all. I used Mobil 1 universal grease, it is wash resistant.

Hope this helps.

DJL
Old 10-03-02, 01:31 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yeah these just pop right out, and the new ones just go right back in. Like djl said, easy job, 8 bolts and shouldn't take more than an hour.

You don't even need to remove the bars from the car.

You do grease the inside of the bushing only though!
Old 10-07-02, 05:19 PM
928owner
Driver

Thumbs up Got 'em (in)!

Hello all,

Just wanted everyone to know that I put a set of these in on Saturday. Took about 30 minutes front and rear. The most time cosuming thing was jacking the car up for the front, then the rears.

The only cautions I would use is that either use a torque wrench, or have experience with tightening the bolts, as they are soft metal and WILL snap if too much torque is used. My wrench is not very good for anything less than 40 ft/lbs. ( and old TRACK auto tool, remember them?) Good news is that (at least in the fronts) the sway bar bracket is attached to another easily removable bracket that allows easy removal of a broken bolt.

My originals were in fairly decent shape, so I did not get a major performance enhancement, but it does seem to handle the ramps a little more solidly. I, myself do not wish to make this my "Ricky Racer" car, just a little better than what the engineers tried to get out of it, so for $30.00, what a deal!

Todd's shipping is steller, and in my opinion, he is far above anyone else who sells these types of products. Folks, this guy REALLY stands behind what he sells. That is something all lot of us who bought these cars in the first place were probably hoping to have, unfortunately, that isn't what happened (at least in my case). Lexus should learn (again) the definition of Quality, as Todd understands it well.

Good product, EXCELLENT service!!!
Old 10-10-02, 03:52 PM
928owner
Driver

Thumbs up

Just a follow up. I wanted to relate my "total experience" with the strut bar bushing change. I believe changing these bushings is definitely an improvement over stock. As my originals were still fairly good shape (I have only 70k miles, and live in S. CA) they were not as deterorated as folks with SC's with more miles, or live where the weather is a factor.

For 30 bucks, I can't think of a better replacement over OEM stuff. The rubber used for the originals WILL break down over time (as did the one in my 928) and your handling will deterorate. Since it is not a sudden breakdown, it won't be noticed. I did notice a drastic imrprovement on my Porsche when I replaced the orignals with ureathane, as they were "munched" with 20 years of wear and 180,000 miles. In the case of my SC, I want to take care of the situation before the factory bushings get too soft. I can't think of a better PM for the suspension, and the installation is very easy.

This is an inexpensive improvement on the original design and is definetly a value for the cost.

Bob
Old 10-13-02, 08:55 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DoubleWhoosh
Oh yeah these just pop right out, and the new ones just go right back in. Like djl said, easy job, 8 bolts and shouldn't take more than an hour.

You don't even need to remove the bars from the car.

You do grease the inside of the bushing only though!
Hey Doublewhoosh,

I left a message for you. I got the control arm bushings but also want the sway bar bushings. Are there any bushings for the rears as well? I would rather get everything done at once.

- Mike
Old 10-14-02, 01:20 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

The sway bar ones should be on their way.

I know the rear control arm stuff is on the drawing board, but the fact that only a couple people would purchase them makes them appear not very cost effective.

Not sure how to gauge how much demand there would be

Anyone else here that would buy rear control arm stuff??????
Old 10-17-02, 12:22 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Got the sway bar bushings. Thanks Todd!

And bump to the rear control arm bushings. Come on folks more parts for the SCs.

Last edited by Hermosa; 10-23-02 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-23-02, 08:03 PM
markmaz
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys. I wouldn't know a sway bar or its' bushing from a tire iron, so please excuse the "pedestrian" question.

Being that my SC is currently at my local mechanic shop getting
checked out, I was wondering what exactly I should ask him to
look at while he has the car up on a lift.

Since our SC has 142,000 miles, I'm sure if the bushing on there
are original, they are worn out.

So, do I just ask him to look at the sway bar bushings? And can he tell if they are worn out just by looking? Thanks.

Quick Reply: SC Sway Bar Bushings...cheap!