Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 09:15 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice find! Here is Febest's webpage:http://febestparts.com/ARM_BUSHING_R...EMBLY/TAB-124Z
Old 09-25-14, 01:49 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Nice find! Here is Febest's webpage:http://febestparts.com/ARM_BUSHING_R...EMBLY/TAB-124Z
these are so much cheaper than EBay? any reason not to get these?
Old 09-25-14, 07:59 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

The Febest parts are German designed made in China. The big problem I have with them is that the area that contacts the LCA is not big enough IMO to seat properly. It is also not knurled like OEM. We use a large contact area to make sure the arm is properly supported and that it retains alignment settings under load.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 09-25-14, 08:14 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
The Febest parts are German designed made in China. The big problem I have with them is that the area that contacts the LCA is not big enough IMO to seat properly. It is also not knurled like OEM. We use a large contact area to make sure the arm is properly supported and that it retains alignment settings under load.
That's a good catch! Once I zoomed in on the Febest picture, it's clear that the contact area is smooth, without the teeth of the OEM design (see photos in Post #1). Without these teeth, I would also worry about the inner bushing rotating under load, .
Old 10-11-14, 05:16 PM
TexasManGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear axle knuckle carrier bushings

Well, febest bushings are working great for me. They might be made in German Or China, but i am pretty sure they will go a couple of years before they give in again. But by that time i will not be having the car.
I recently ordered front upper control arms from febest as well. $30 each and looking forward to fit them on my GS300.

Basically it seems everything on my suspension is messed up. Brake caliper piston seized and i replaced. Its a 1999 lexus, so i guess its about time. Anyone going through this as well ?????
Old 10-12-14, 04:50 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

most of us have as the car is getting up in age and parts will seize, break, wear out etc.
Old 10-22-14, 04:14 PM
TexasManGS
Driver School Candidate

My motor vibrating so hard when im at the stop light, whilst my car is enganged in D gear, and foot on brake. If i shift to N, it idles smooth and nice. What causes this if anyone can help ? I repeat, it only vibrates when im stopped with my foot on brake, and shifter in Drive gear. I can feel the steering vibrating and it is so annoying.I once cleaned Throttle boddy myself a year ago, it had some carbon in it. I know i did not clean good because i did not remove it, just cleand with a nice cloth and sprayed some spray for cleaning. Please help !!!!!
Old 10-22-14, 04:15 PM
TexasManGS
Driver School Candidate

Also, my horn don't work, sometimes i wanna honk at the ladies, but i cant. The alarm is working, which means the 2 horns in the front grill work, but if i push the horn horn by the steering, no sound. Anyone knows a DIY fix????
Old 02-01-15, 02:31 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasManGS
My motor vibrating so hard when im at the stop light, whilst my car is enganged in D gear, and foot on brake. If i shift to N, it idles smooth and nice. What causes this if anyone can help ? I repeat, it only vibrates when im stopped with my foot on brake, and shifter in Drive gear. I can feel the steering vibrating and it is so annoying.I once cleaned Throttle boddy myself a year ago, it had some carbon in it. I know i did not clean good because i did not remove it, just cleand with a nice cloth and sprayed some spray for cleaning. Please help !!!!!
Could be engine/tranny mounts.
Old 02-01-15, 02:33 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

I just replaced mine with the ROCA bushings - looks like a 100% replica of original.

I will say that freezing them and heating the knuckle is 100% important.

I froze them for 2hrs and then heated the knuckle with a propane torch - hit them in with one shot of the air hammer and a socket.
Old 03-10-15, 11:43 PM
GiantCow
Driver School Candidate

Came across this thread through a google search... How common would you guys say it is to have to replace these knuckle bushings? I'm looking at a '12 CPO is350 and noticed the car had both of its rear knuckle bushings replaced at only 30k miles. Should I take this as a red flag that the car has seen some abuse?

The exact wording via the Lexus service history:

FRONT SUSPENSION - CREAKING NOISE FROM REAR OF VEHICLE SLOW SPPEDS OVER BUMPS - 42304 - 30090 BOTH REAR KNUCKLE BUSHINGS FOR CONTROL ARMS HAS EXCESSIVE PLAY. - 482991 5.0 91/40 REPLACED RIGHT AND LEFT REAR KNUCKLE ASSYS

edit: just realized this is the GS forum and I was asking about the IS

Last edited by GiantCow; 03-11-15 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-11-15, 02:24 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GiantCow
Came across this thread through a google search... How common would you guys say it is to have to replace these knuckle bushings? I'm looking at a '12 CPO is350 and noticed the car had both of its rear knuckle bushings replaced at only 30k miles. Should I take this as a red flag that the car has seen some abuse?

The exact wording via the Lexus service history:

FRONT SUSPENSION - CREAKING NOISE FROM REAR OF VEHICLE SLOW SPPEDS OVER BUMPS - 42304 - 30090 BOTH REAR KNUCKLE BUSHINGS FOR CONTROL ARMS HAS EXCESSIVE PLAY. - 482991 5.0 91/40 REPLACED RIGHT AND LEFT REAR KNUCKLE ASSYS

edit: just realized this is the GS forum and I was asking about the IS
Maybe more like bad luck - I feel like those should be greased regularly - others may disagree.
Old 03-28-15, 11:20 AM
goodyonsen
Rookie

does anyone have expierence with the megan racing product for the is300?http://www.meganracing.com/product.a...=1718&catid=91

thinking about doing these or the febest ones. i'm getting a weird clinking/light clunking sound when traveling at slow speeds even on smooth roads. even if the issue isn't the knuckle bushing, id like to take care of it as part of wear and tear maintenance

hoping for some feedback. thanks
Old 03-28-15, 01:44 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by goodyonsen
does anyone have expierence with the megan racing product for the is300?http://www.meganracing.com/product.a...=1718&catid=91

thinking about doing these or the febest ones. i'm getting a weird clinking/light clunking sound when traveling at slow speeds even on smooth roads. even if the issue isn't the knuckle bushing, id like to take care of it as part of wear and tear maintenance

hoping for some feedback. thanks

I'm sure they would fit... shoot them a email or call them... They could also be rebadged parts and the same ones from eBay.. you never know.... FIGS sells them also..
Old 03-29-15, 11:04 AM
goodyonsen
Rookie

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I'm sure they would fit... shoot them a email or call them... They could also be rebadged parts and the same ones from eBay.. you never know.... FIGS sells them also..
I'm assuming they would fit, just wondering if anybody has experience/purchased them. I love Figs products, but I'm looking for a lower price point (hence the Febest) because I'm most likely selling my GS soon.

For users with the Febest, how are they holding up? any issues?

Quick Reply: DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement