Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement

Old 03-19-14, 11:58 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I need a set of these!! Please pm the price shipped to 20876 thanks.
Old 04-02-14, 11:10 AM
inspirah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Thank you soooo much for posting up this DIY. Pictures are on POINT! I went to Midas and they were going to charge me 3,000$ just to replace 2 measly bushings... For those searching for rear axle bushings, there are tons of bushings on ebay that go by the same name "REAR STUB AXEL BUSH IS200 / ALTEZZA" for about 30 - 50 dollars each. Thanks again lyonkster!
Old 04-02-14, 04:18 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by inspirah
Thank you soooo much for posting up this DIY. Pictures are on POINT! I went to Midas and they were going to charge me 3,000$ just to replace 2 measly bushings... For those searching for rear axle bushings, there are tons of bushings on ebay that go by the same name "REAR STUB AXEL BUSH IS200 / ALTEZZA" for about 30 - 50 dollars each. Thanks again lyonkster!
You are most welcome!
Old 04-10-14, 07:57 AM
illtww
Rookie

Who do I need to get in contact with to get a set of these for my 98 Gs400?

Thanks all! Need them ASAP.
Old 04-11-14, 07:47 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by illtww
Who do I need to get in contact with to get a set of these for my 98 Gs400?

Thanks all! Need them ASAP.
Me? we have our improved version in stock
Old 04-11-14, 08:21 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Figs, I ended up replacing the knuckle bushigns on my 2000 LS400, spherical joint like your but OEM rubber bushing for the strut rod.

I just want to thank you for showing the SPC balljoint press is the one you need to press these out! Mine worked great, i need to return it to amazon since the cup shattered on me, had to use an old nut with grease between it and the socket to complete the install on the other side, but without that tool this job aint possible!

Im goign to verify if the upper control arm spherical joints are the same one as for the carrier bushing, if so that woudl eliminate the need to buy new 180$ arms from lexus like i did, if only i could find the upper rear balljoint separate!
Old 04-30-14, 11:39 PM
amichie
Driver School Candidate

Any members from Australia can get these now thru the local Pedders suspension shop.

See the attached pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tn1385443601.pdf (400.0 KB, 339 views)
Old 05-01-14, 06:18 AM
christodav
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That Pedders info is interesting! How much are they?

Chris
Old 05-01-14, 02:32 PM
amichie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by christodav
That Pedders info is interesting! How much are they?

Chris
I paid $55 each but I don't have a trade card. Might be 20% trade price.
Old 08-07-14, 04:33 PM
klam208
Driver School Candidate

I definitely need to get a pair for my car. Is it cheaper to order through you Mike or should I just order off your website? Also anybody in the San Francisco bay area have the bearing puller/installer I can borrow?? I have a case of beer with your name on it!
Old 08-08-14, 11:39 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Site is best as it that is how we process orders.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-20-14, 06:23 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
Site is best as it that is how we process orders.
Mike

Other members here is the ebay item number for the bushings

eBay item number:200910071216

Mike, do you have to these on your site? thanks
Old 08-21-14, 06:34 AM
FIGS
The Maker

yep
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=129
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 09-17-14, 12:05 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

great DIY. I know there was a temporary fix where you can inject some grease with a zerk needle.
Old 09-24-14, 03:40 PM
TexasManGS
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Lexus GS300 squeaking suspension, Rear wheel Knuckle

Hello guys,

I just decided to share the problem i had with my 1999 Lexus GS300 suspension. It had a loud squeaking noise, annoying and embarrassing. I have owned this baby for 2 years. I bought the car with the squeaking issue, but it was not as loud then, and was assuming i was gonna fix it in a week or 2 after buying. Unfortunately, i finally fixed it after 2 years. It got louder and louder as time went by.

Now, this time used to go away temporarily after driving in heavy rains, or if i don't drive the car for like 2 weeks. Did not know what it was, took it to a mechanic, replaced rear struts/shocks, but to no vain it kept squeaking. I bought affordable struts/shocks on Ebay by the way. Next, after a few months, replaced upper control arms per my mechanic, but no luck. I replaced with used arms from the junk yard, but no luck. Next, replaced lower control arms per mechanic, no luck. Next, replaced rear trailing arms i bought new from Ebay, still squeaked.

At this point we are in year 2, and was now think of selling the car as is. But in my mind i knew something small was causing this. Finally, i decided to take to a Lexus dealership here in Dallas Texas. I paid $100 diagnostics fee, and they told me they needed about a week. They gave me a beautiful Hybrid Lexus to use, loaner car, nice of them.After a week they called me in at Lexus, they printed out the problem for me on a sheet of paper, with diagrams to help.

They said it was the Rear Knuckle Carrier Bushing which was worn out. For them to fix one side, it was going to be about $850, as they only sell the whole knuckle/spindle, for $415 and will need to replace wheel bearing which the part ran for $100. The rest was labor fees. I thanked them and left as i was stressed. I went home and researched online, on this forum on how to DIY, and where i can find the bushing separately. It took me days researching online everyday after work. I found the bushing online, from this company in Florida called Febest. (Part # TAB-124Z) Each bushing was going for like $15. I bought 2 of these for each rear wheel, parts costing $30 total including shipping. And they were new. There are about 3 different bushings which go on this knuckle. You want the one which connects to the open end of the lower control are. Try Ebay or Amazon. Now, it is interchangeable with the 2000-2001 Lexus IS300 (Also known in Europe and Japan as Toyota Altezza). And these guys deliver your parts in 3 or 4 days, very quick.

Now, i tried to do it myself, i could not even undo the bolts, so really i did not do anything. Now, i took it to shops to do it. They mentioned they needed a press to do it, and not every shop has this press. All shops with the press always said they would have to remove the entire knuckle anyways to press the bushing, and were not sure if my bushings would fit. They all warned me of some consequences should it fail to go in. Most of these shops were quoting me $360-$500 labor only, per wheel. To make a long story short, they were not willing to do the job. They would tell me an inflated fee so i won't come back. Finally, i was referred to a good mechanic, who works from his home. He said he would do it for me and he would borrow a Bearing tool kit from Auto Zone to do the job without removing the entire knuckle/spindle. And yes, he did it for me. He charged me $200 total for both rear wheels. The noise is gone for good. He showed me the old bushings, they were worn out. The were metal-to-metal, no doubt. Trying to grease these does not work at all. Tried many times, didn't work. So this is my story with the 1999 Lexus GS300 rear knuckle bushings.

The correct bushings look exactly like the ones at the beginning of this forum thread. Size is more like the size of a regular egg. I wish we could put phone numbers on this site, i would have you guys call me for more detailed explanation. And it seems this type of vehicle has the same issue. I would hear other Lexus GS's squeaking as they drive by me.
Questions???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement