Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-12, 01:09 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
It sounds like the bearing may have gotten brinnelled during installation causing a flat spot. I would love to get these back to do a failure analysis. Please contact me via phone or email.
Mike
any installation tips to avoid that happening mike before i try and install mine? Michael (blanco) has me paranoid now
Old 12-14-12, 05:21 PM
ksoazn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blanco
i'd get a pop sound every time the rear suspension would articulate up and down over anything other than the slightest road imperfections, regardless of speed. It was relatively subtle, but you could hear it if the stereo was down, and the bump wasn't too big. Parking lots were where it was most noticeable.

My wife even noticed it. It came from both sides, but the driver side was louder. My mechanic pointed it out to me when i was have some other suspension work done. I told him to look for a pop. I didn't tell him what i thought it might be, although i did mention that i had replaced the knuckle bushings.

I wanted them to be ok, but he showed me what was going on. He had a bar going through the bushing and he would grab one end and move the bar in order to articulate the joint. It would move freely for the most part, but it'd bind at a certain angle, and the bar would stop moving freely. He'd then have to apply significantly more pressure to the bar to get the joint to move beyond the binding point, once past that point, it'd move freely again until coming back down, or across that point going the other direction.

So i had him replace them with some of the nz bushings. Wala!! No more popping.

Mike i still have the bushings if you want them. My mechanic was a bit rough getting them back out, but i can't use them.

I don't know squat about suspension systems, but i was thinking maybe the inside diameter of the knuckle was a bit smaller than expected. I did have a hell of a time getting the old bushings out, and putting the figs in when i did it myself.

I still like figs parts, i really want the upper control arms. It's just a bummer that i had to buy two sets of bushings to get my fix on.
oh nooooooooooooooooo
i just installed my figs bushing today, dont tell me this
Old 12-14-12, 05:43 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusben
Here are a few videos of the sounds I am getting. It's not pretty. I can put about 20lbs of force on the rear of the car and get this sound. This means that on every tiny imperfection in the road my car is squeaking. I also have to hear it every time I get in and out of my car.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=w6pe38&s=6

http://tinypic.com/r/av2c5u/6
I actually lubed up my FIGS Toe Control Arms and this sound went away. Not sure if this was actually the fix... maybe I did something by taking the wheels off, jacking up the car, and putting the wheels back on. Maybe one of the wheels were lose? Not sure.

Has anyone else experienced squeaky FIGS Toe Control Arms?
Old 12-15-12, 12:26 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Teflon can sometimes get sticky at low speeds. To Lube it use a dry film lube with teflon in it this hels fill the small gaps in the structure again. rock to one side spray and let dry, then rock to the other side.

On these bearings only press in the outer cup, never on the center of the bearing. By pressing the outside in only it should not flatspot the bearing.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 01-14-13, 11:50 AM
ksultan78
Rookie

I hear a pop when i am backing up or going over speed bumps. I suspect its the rear bushing after reading this thread. Was the failure analysis done on the FIGS bushings? I am looking to buy the parts so I can get this resolved.
Old 01-14-13, 08:20 PM
FIGS
The Maker

the bearings are on the way back to me for inspection. I will post up results.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 01-15-13, 12:12 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FIGS
the bearings are on the way back to me for inspection. I will post up results.
Mike
after talking to Micheal about these Mike i guarantee you the guy who installed them fubared them. he is a ex vendor/forum sponsor from here who used to design some crappy alternators a lot of OG's had issues with and he is the same guy who butchered speedaddicts car up..... yes JPI installed them. i talked to micheal on the phone about them and then sent him info on the guy.....just from my reading of this guy i wouldnt use him to change my oil

i talked to several people who have installed your bushings themselves and had no issues to date with them....what i don't understand is Micheal removed his own, i wonder why he didn't reinstall them himself?
Old 01-15-13, 06:44 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Brian misunderstood me. I installed them myself. Jpi removed them. I didn't feel like removing them and reinstalling the NZ bushings myself. And based on the condition they were given back to me, they were pretty roughed up on removal.

I just hope Mike can still figure out what happened. The thing was though, they didn't start making the popping noise until at least a week after install, and my GS is my daily driver.
Old 01-15-13, 03:00 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blanco
Brian misunderstood me. I installed them myself. Jpi removed them. I didn't feel like removing them and reinstalling the NZ bushings myself. And based on the condition they were given back to me, they were pretty roughed up on removal.

I just hope Mike can still figure out what happened. The thing was though, they didn't start making the popping noise until at least a week after install, and my GS is my daily driver.
ohhhhh....i did misunderstand you micheal i didnt realize jpi uninstalled them, did they install the NZ bushings then also?
Old 01-15-13, 03:25 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
ohhhhh....i did misunderstand you micheal i didnt realize jpi uninstalled them, did they install the NZ bushings then also?
Yeah, after all the time and effort I went through to remove the original stockers, I just didn't feel like going through the whole process again. Plus, Jason had several sets of the NZ bushings in his inventory.

I thought, "Well I could order them myself, wait 2 months to get them, and go through the whole process again". But he already had them in stock, not to mention he was the one who discovered that it was the FIGS that were the problem.

It was a massive time saver just to pay him to do it. Yeah, it cost more, but for me it was worth it. Plus, before I realized that Mike's bushings were causing the noise, I had already ordered a TRD set of bushings from that rhdjapan site for the track link bushings, assuming that they were the culprit to the new noise I was hearing. I had already tried installing those myself. With the way they are angled, I wasn't able to get my homemade tool to break them out.

So in an afternoon, he swapped Mike's bushings, and put in my TRD bushings. He also replaced one of my SPC uca knuckles I had with me, and he did an alignment. The noises were driving me crazy, not to mention I was tired of drama of the rear end noises dragging out any longer.

I was suprised however at the condition of Mike's bushings after Jason removed them. I just hope Mike is able to determine what went wrong. I'd sure like to know if I was the cause of the noise to begin with. I'm just looking forward to what Mike is able to discern.

I'm still eagerly awaiting Mike's UCAs. I'm so over my SPCs!! I'm still chasing a front end clunk/crunch, and I've very recently replace the steering rack, and bushings, sway bar end links, lbjs, and the caster arms were replaced back in late 2010.

Oh, and while I'm living with that noise, I'm trying to determine what's making my sunroof pop while I've got the headliner off, before I drop the sunroof to swap the tan shade for the gray.

I'll call you soon about that sunroof DIY. I REALLY hope I can make it a one man job. I don't know if, or when I can get some help. Cause, I'll more than likely have to go through the whole process again, once I recover my tan top half in black!!

/RANT

BTW, Mike, for the record. I installed them just as you suggested; pressing of outer cup only. When you see them you'll understand my disclaimer.

Last edited by Blanco; 01-15-13 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-16-13, 03:57 PM
831gs3
Driver School Candidate

will the same bushing work for a first gen gs300?
Old 02-08-13, 03:38 PM
ksultan78
Rookie

any results on the failure analysis?
Old 02-08-13, 09:36 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Blanco, I still have not received them.
Old 03-15-13, 05:41 AM
DriftChris
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump... Is anyone else running these. I just placed an order and I want to check up on them before install.
Old 03-16-13, 07:53 AM
FIGS
The Maker

I am looking into some tolerance issues between our cup and the OD of the bearing. Seems like some have been going in tight as we assemble them and other slide right in. The ones that slide right in are work fine, but the others are too tight to start and then get tighter once pressed in. I have a way to eliminate this we just need to rework the cups. I will keep you all posted.
Mike

Quick Reply: DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement