Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-11, 08:20 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Sounds good. You might want to start with the driver's side if you are right handed, I found it easier to work on that side for a rightie - you end up holding the clamp with your left hand and torquing with your right, plus the clamp would want to rotate away from the axle boot, all good things. Then once you get the hang of it, you can do the passenger side. Just a thought.

And not to insult your intelligence, but I have no idea of your skill level, so let me ask again - you do have a receiver tube on the back side of the clamp big enough to clear the OUTER diameter of the bushing, right?
So I got the bushing changed today, but it was a b**** to get done. I only changed the passenger side since that was the one making noise. Took me literally all day. So far the noise is gone. Once I got it out you could feel how easily the inner sleeve moved around and hear all of the noise it made.

So what happened yesterday. The receiving tube I used was big engough, but I found this morning I had to flip the direction of the tool to get the bushing out. I had the tube on the front side of the knuckle yesterday. The space on that side is limited. It was causing the receiving tube to push over and misalign. So the bushing would not move because it was jamming up against the receiving tube. Realized that this morning.Flipped the tool (tube towards rear of car) and the bushing came out a lot easier. 90 ft-lbs not needed.

The real problem that took forever to resolve was getting a new bushing in without damaging. Damn thing wouldn't go in. It would constantly misalign and cause the bushing to dig into the knuckle instead of slide through. I finally resorted to filing the bushing and the knuckle even though no rust was present. Didn't take off a lot. The real problem was the length of the sleeve that came with the kit and sockets I used. I needed a 36 mm socket as a pusher (I bought a 30 mm but it started to rip the boot) and a 22 mm to torque the clamp. The sockets and sleeves were so long that I couldn't use them all at same time to put the new bushing in. Ended up using the 36 mm by itself with no receiving tube to initially get it end. I kinda thrashed the 1st bushing so I used that one as a guinea pig. Once I got that one in, the undamaged one slid right in. Also, when putting a new bushing in, DO NOT DIRECT THE FORCE THROUGH THE INNER SLEEVE! That's what started the demise of the 1st bushing. I got frustrated and tried to do that. When it compressed the boot, it caused a slight rip. You must use a socket as a pusher so you can push against the outer sleeve of the bushing.

Last edited by tiger4life; 10-09-11 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-09-11, 09:20 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger4life
So I got the bushing changed today,
Congrats on getting it done!

The space on that side is limited. It was causing the receiving tube to push over and misalign. So the bushing would not move because it was jamming up against the receiving tube.
Yup, that's what I was getting at yesterday with my questions, I suspected that the bushing might be getting clamped by the receiving tube.

Flipped the tool (tube towards rear of car) and the bushing came out a lot easier. 90 ft-lbs not needed.
That's more like it .

The real problem that took forever to resolve was getting a new bushing in without damaging. Damn thing wouldn't go in. It would constantly misalign and cause the bushing to dig into the knuckle instead of slide through.
That's really odd, mine went in very easily. Did you put any oil on the bushing or in the knuckle? That definitely helps.

The sockets and sleeves were so long that I couldn't use them all at same time to put the new bushing in. Ended up using the 36 mm by itself with no receiving tube to initially get it end.
I think I had a similar problem, and solved it the same way - started the bushing without a receiving tube, and then added one when the bushing was about to pop out the back side.

Also, when putting a new bushing in, DO NOT DIRECT THE FORCE THROUGH THE INNER SLEEVE!
Absolutely. I pushed the old one out by pushing on the inner sleeve, but you don't want to do that to a new one. That's like installing a bearing in a hub by pressing on the inner race, big no-no. You definitely want to push on the outer sleeve, hence the big socket.

Again, glad you got it done and the noise is gone!
Old 10-19-11, 05:53 PM
Ray3311
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Help on where to find rear bushing

where can I purchase the replacement bushing you used for your project.
The bushing is the 37H125.
thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-11, 09:56 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

great great write up!!
Old 10-29-11, 01:33 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Can someone sticky this? Well deserves it. Not only it has a detailed write up with pics ALSO a nice video.
Old 10-31-11, 11:48 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Brian, how much you got the mega arms for? Are there different types or just one?
because i test mule parts for him and because i have bought all his parts, i get different pricing than you so im not willing to say what i paid for them

there are different ones ALL my products are PRECISION versions though i think, go check his website for the different parts

http://www.shopfigs.com/v1/

im STILL waiting on these bushings to get back in stock when i finally went to order them, they were gone but its been a few weeks and i think the guy told me 3 weeks to get back in stock
Old 11-02-11, 04:24 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

anyone dare to replace it with a solid sphere ball?
Old 11-03-11, 05:45 PM
fastryan
Driver

pretty sure a plain ball would make noise as well.....
Old 11-04-11, 06:28 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

What do you guys mean by a solid sphere ball?
Old 11-04-11, 08:46 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

hah it would make a whole lot more noise thats for sure but itll be nice n stiff.
Old 11-04-11, 09:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so i sent him a email a week or so ago as when i finally had decided to order them they were out of stock....sent him a email on the 2nd and got one from him last night. bushings STILL out of stock he said he would keep me posted on them so i guess i am gonna ****** up a pair next time.

tiger, if i order 3 do you want the 3rd one since you fubared one?
Old 11-04-11, 09:54 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by vwynn
hah it would make a whole lot more noise thats for sure but itll be nice n stiff.
Still would like to figure out what you guys are talking about. The stock "bushings" are in fact spherical bearings, so I don't know what you mean by a "solid sphere ball"... Help?
Old 11-10-11, 01:29 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ar15to
I found this thread very usefull in my search for these bushings so thought I would help people out. The IRL parts guy on ebay has a bunch in stock right now.
lol, i knew this....he emailed me the other day telling me but i was refraining from telling any of you'll except one person till i ordered my own i didnt wanna miss my window again. when i get off work and can actually get on ebay and order mine i will
Old 11-13-11, 07:33 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but do these work for my 02 GS430?
Old 11-13-11, 07:45 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by 02Legend
Forgive my ignorance, but do these work for my 02 GS430?
Yup, should work just fine, like they did on my '01.

Quick Reply: DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement