Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 07:33 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Well, you probably won't like it, but there is another option I considered. You can always buy the two axle carriers for about $430 (ouch, I know), and then instead of swapping them in (which is tons of work, removing the axles, pressing bearings, etc), you can just push out the new bushings and push them into your existing axle carriers. I know, doesn't seem right, but it is an option that is cheaper and much less work than swapping in the new axle carriers .
Of course! I already know that, like mentioned before I was really close to pay that $430 for new carriers and swap them "UNTIL" vwynn posted your thread to me and it was another exposure of sun light to make things easier for me with the work load (idk about others). With that being said I am waiting for whomever to come out with one or whenever the product are available from the certain sellers.

Originally Posted by tiger4life
you guys should just be patient. the nz guys and the guy from ebay have already developed this. it may be hard to get a hold of them, but i think they'll be your best source. if not doing what lyonkster said would be your next best approach. $430+ tax sucks, but it is not going to be cheap to get figs or someone else to stop what they are doing and develop these things. what you desperately want to avoid is having to remove the knuckles, so i would definitely do what he said above to avoid downtime and additional parts like wheel bearings.
Waiting all I can, but if I always have to pull up in a business suit 80% of my life with other business people and those people already staring at me before I approach the driveway, how much longer til then. Im just saying that I appreciate the resource that was past on here because I've been searching and spending on bushings that wasn't the problem. Keep in mind that my car has 237,xxx miles on there and this was probably one of the most PITA issue I received so far. Other maintenance and care were always fixed on time if not within a week at most for me.
Old 10-05-11, 10:03 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DPromGS
That's the one! And the one you need is on the other end, where the slotted hole is .
thanks dara for the pic.....so it would go into the rear of my mega arm?

Name:  f5bba7e2.jpg
Views: 15364
Size:  108.1 KB

so dara, wanna sell the TRD ones you got?

thanks i was typing lnz not 1nz...i just PM'ed him
Old 10-05-11, 11:09 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
thanks dara for the pic.....so it would go into the rear of my mega arm?

so dara, wanna sell the TRD ones you got?
Correct, but why would you want to put these in your mega arms??? Wouldn't you want the spherical that are with the mega? In fact can you even put sleeved bushings as a replacement for those sphericals? Btw, I love the color of your arms too !! I don't mind selling them to you, but I would want to know why first because I don't want to sell them then you won't be able to use them if it doesn't work out for your mega arms. Unless your going to replace your OEM arms.
Old 10-06-11, 05:54 AM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are back up on Ebay just ordered mine only 7 left about $67 shipped.
Old 10-06-11, 07:23 AM
esolo98
Advanced

I am starting to wonder if these can be made by maybe FIGS Engineering and turning it into a full on spherical bushing replacement instead of the OEM bushing type. Are maybe some other motor mount company to make any reinforced products in replacement of the OEM versions.
I found these pillow ball bushings, is this something like you are looking for? Part no. 6858F

http://www.hardrace.com/products.asp...5&strClass3=74

I couldn't find a price anywhere though.
Old 10-06-11, 07:43 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Correct, but why would you want to put these in your mega arms??? Wouldn't you want the spherical that are with the mega? In fact can you even put sleeved bushings as a replacement for those sphericals?
The spherical on the mega arm replaces the factory INNER bushing, not the OUTER one that we are talking about here. The OUTER bushing is not in the arm, it is pressed into the axle carrier, and fits where the slots are in the mega arm. So the mega arm does not replace the need for the bushing.

Originally Posted by Champstar
They are back up on Ebay just ordered mine only 7 left about $67 shipped.
Perfect, I thought that the seller had more, so I am glad that they are back up! Now you can all buy with confidence that they do indeed fit!
Old 10-06-11, 08:03 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Correct, but why would you want to put these in your mega arms??? Wouldn't you want the spherical that are with the mega? In fact can you even put sleeved bushings as a replacement for those sphericals? Btw, I love the color of your arms too !! I don't mind selling them to you, but I would want to know why first because I don't want to sell them then you won't be able to use them if it doesn't work out for your mega arms. Unless your going to replace your OEM arms.
nm, disregard,im stupid dara....

just realized you were saying your TRD bushing goes where my spherical bushing is and i def dont wanna change that out

The spherical on the mega arm replaces the factory INNER bushing, not the OUTER one that we are talking about here. The OUTER bushing is not in the arm, it is pressed into the axle carrier, and fits where the slots are in the mega arm. So the mega arm does not replace the need for the bushing.
yeah as i said im retarded i was thinking it was the other bushing

im looking for the same bushing you'll are.....that it goes on the OTHER side of my mega arm

Last edited by sakataj; 10-06-11 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-06-11, 08:13 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

im looking for the same bushing you'll are
7 left http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-STUB-AX...97354682885238
Old 10-06-11, 11:08 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

I just got an email from the seller and I made my purchase for 2 already =) Thanks again lyonkster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just do not know how much I appreciate this.

Dara
Old 10-06-11, 11:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

i thought or was hoping they were sold in pairs.....damn $51.57 for each bushing (again keep in mind i dont need them ATM i was just gonna get some in for when i do)

does he charge you same shipping price for both bushings or does he combine shipping?

I just got an email from the seller and I made my purchase for 2 already =) Thanks again lyonkster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just do not know how much I appreciate this.

Dara
yeah he emailed me also. no wonder there are only 5 left now....

dara, what was total price shipped?
Old 10-06-11, 11:56 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

i thought or was hoping they were sold in pairs.....damn $51.57 for each bushing (again keep in mind i dont need them ATM i was just gonna get some in for when i do)

does he charge you same shipping price for both bushings or does he combine shipping?

If you intend to keep this car for a while you are going to need them. It appears that this is a common problem on the IS and GS. I got a pair for about $130 shipped. Combined shipped saved me around $5 us. I would just buy both because if this dude stopped selling them, you are going to have a tough time finding more and I doubt they would be cheaper anywhere else. Changing mines this week.
Old 10-06-11, 12:03 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Unhappy

Dara
Took exactly a week to get mines shipped to socal, so you may be able to replace these next weekend. I know how you feel, I'm so embarassed when I arrive/leave work. I passed down a street and watched a 7 or 8 year old bend over she was laughing so hard at the squeaking as I passed.
Old 10-06-11, 12:09 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tiger4life
If you intend to keep this car for a while you are going to need them. It appears that this is a common problem on the IS and GS. I got a pair for about $130 shipped. Combined shipped saved me around $5 us. I would just buy both because if this dude stopped selling them, you are going to have a tough time finding more and I doubt they would be cheaper anywhere else. Changing mines this week.
well, i have had the car since 2007 and i always talk about getting rid of it for a LS so i dunno if i will keep it or not

i have installed so many parts i didnt need while i was doing other parts i DID need i just thought i might do these as well, we'll see. i emailed him and asked him about a price break since we all buying them.....and since im irish (well irish italian) and he is in ireland its a long shot but worth asking
Old 10-06-11, 12:46 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Total was $127.xx US dollars. So you can round it to 130.
Old 10-06-11, 01:00 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

You are very welcome Dara, and I do know how nice it is to track these down, I felt the same way when *I* found them - they are nearly impossible to find!

I dunno Brian, if you don't need them then don't buy them - just realize that when you do need them (which you will) you may not be able to find them at any price. In my book, 90 euros delivered was a steal, considering they simply are not available anywhere else, and the alternatives are very few and far between.

Quick Reply: DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement