Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Is it a good idea to do the ls brake upgrade without the ss lines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 02:52 AM
schef300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it a good idea to do the ls brake upgrade without the ss lines?

Tomorrow i plan on doing the LS big brake upgrade on my sc i was wondering if it would be good idea to do the upgrade with oem replacement brake lines instead of the ss ones. The oem lines are about 6 dollars each and the kit for the ss is 110 dollars. would i see any real world difference between the two?. And what brake pads do you recommend? My sc is a daily diver if that helps.

PS any advice or tips on making the swap easier would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-02-11, 03:19 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

That's a good question. I'm wondering the same thing. I'd assume you could use the OEM brake lines without any trouble.
Old 10-02-11, 03:43 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your SC is daily driven, OEM replacement line will be fine. You won't see/feel real world difference between the two if you don't track your SC and bring its brake system to the limit.
Old 10-02-11, 05:06 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS400 brake calipers without SS lines suck. Pedal feel is very soft and mussy.
Old 10-02-11, 06:14 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

My pair is pretty mushy even with S.S. lines but I got used to it after a week because braking became effortless compared to the stock brakes. Perhaps I should have done a comparison between stock lines and S.S. lines to get a better sense of improvements, if there were any.
Old 10-02-11, 06:24 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

I agree. Still mushy even with SS lines. Before SS WOW was it bad. That's why I would get them for sure.
Old 10-02-11, 09:47 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really I replaced mine and they are not mushy I bled the whole system front and rear with a machine and if you don't know that I replaced the calipers you will smash your face on the wheel and mine still on stock lines .
If you bleed the rear also it will make a difference , start bleeding from furthest caliper from the master cylinder and work your way up.
Old 10-02-11, 10:19 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

at low speeds the pedal feels mushy, at high speeds it feels much more firm. both times it'll stop the car great and much better than stock.
Old 10-02-11, 10:20 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And to answer your question for daily use you will be fine with the brand new stock lines.
Old 10-02-11, 10:20 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by account2x
LS400 brake calipers without SS lines suck. Pedal feel is very soft and mussy.
Yup the rubber lines suck!! Look on e-bay for apex brakes as that company has supplied my ss brake lines to me for years and is about 50.00 shipped from Canada.

Quality is real good and the only reason you pay so much for made in the USA is because of all the D.O.T red tape where as Canada does not have this junk.

And btw I have pushed them harder than 99.9% of people who own them as I have tracked my evo hundreds of times with 0 issues.

Last edited by xspsi6; 10-02-11 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-02-11, 12:20 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Rubber lines will do just fine, once you get use to the difference in pedal feel you're good to go. The only real solution to fix the pedal feel would be swapping out to the Supra 1 1/16 master to push more fluid volume. SS braided brakes lines do help in terms of pedal stiffness but if the system is mushy to being with, they won't do much to help. This is a from a performance point of view.

On the other hand you could go ahead and swap over to the braided lines while you're doing the calipers at the same time to save yourself from bleeding the system an extra time.
Old 10-02-11, 01:02 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

My stock lines were fine so I just took the banjo bolt and line directly off the old caliper and quickly installed it into the LS caliper, bled the air out from the transfer right there and the LS brakes feel great.
Pedal feels OEM but the braking force is much stronger.
If you are looking for the stiffest possible pedal feel then yeah upgrading to SS is a good idea.
Old 10-03-11, 05:40 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the way i look at it is if you got the lines disconnected you might as well replace them.
Old 10-03-11, 06:48 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sports Car Stiffer Pedal Feel = SS Lines
Luxury Pedal Feel = OEM

I prefer the SS lines, on every car I've ever driven with them vs stock including my own
Old 10-03-11, 02:00 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Really I replaced mine and they are not mushy I bled the whole system front and rear with a machine and if you don't know that I replaced the calipers you will smash your face on the wheel and mine still on stock lines .
If you bleed the rear also it will make a difference , start bleeding from furthest caliper from the master cylinder and work your way up.
So we should start with the passenger side rear, work to the driver side rear, then jump over to the passenger side front, then back over to the driver side front? Is that the correct order?

Quick Reply: Is it a good idea to do the ls brake upgrade without the ss lines?