Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS350 brake calipers information

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 07:28 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS350 brake calipers information

Are they steel or aluminum. Planning to take a wire brush to them this week and dont want to mess up the caliper. will be painting them.
Old 09-26-11, 07:56 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Are they steel or aluminum. Planning to take a wire brush to them this week and dont want to mess up the caliper. will be painting them.
You will be fine with a wire brush, I just painting mine this past weekend. Make sure you don't hit any of the rubber boots on the caliper with the wire brush as you could possibly tear the rubber. Also, just use brake cleaner and a rag unless your **** is destroyed in brake dust. I did about 7 or 8 coats of caliper paint and am letting it cure for the week while I drive it. This weekend I will apply the stickers and clear coat, should hold up for a very long time.

It was very interesting to see that my calipers match the buggy at PetSmart... WTF
Old 09-26-11, 08:51 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

wow looks great, did u do spray can or brush?

Also. what part of the caliper SHOULDNT be painted? did u tape off the rubber seals?
Old 09-26-11, 08:51 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

what color is that btw
Old 09-26-11, 09:14 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like the color of that shopping cart...
Old 09-26-11, 09:32 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
wow looks great, did u do spray can or brush?

Also. what part of the caliper SHOULDNT be painted? did u tape off the rubber seals?
I took a shot in the dark with Dupli-Color's blue caliper paint at AutoZone. I had used the red before in my IS300 and decided to go blue on the 350. I bought the actual paint can kit RATHER then the spray paint as spray paint is messy and will drip if you aren't careful and patient. Give yourself an entire morning/afternoon to do this. I am talking like 6-8 hours for BEST results. I started at 8am and finished around 3pm.

**** Sit the entire car on jack stands and take off all the wheels at the same time. Don't do wheel by wheel or it will take you all year complete...

1. Paint only the metal parts of the caliper itself. Tape off the rest. Do not paint any rubber as you will dry it out and causing it to break apart over time. You can also aim to not paint the brake pads, rotors, and the little pins holding the pads in to. If you decide to take the whole caliper off the hub (I don't recommend this unless you know what you are doing) DO NOT PAINT INSIDE THE CALIPER WHERE THE BRAKE PADS SIT.

2. Don't use the ****ty brush that comes with the paint kit. Use a small sponge brush from Home Depot because the caliper paint will pull the threads out of a regular paint brush leaving you with little hairs in the paint.

3. Put on NUMEROUS coats. Oddly, the paint doesn't always stick in some places to the caliper. So I did roughly 7-8 even coats to cover the entire caliper.

4. Let the caliper sit for around 30-60 minutes BETWEEN coats. This is a MUST because when you try and apply more coats of paint, the sponge brush will pull the layers of paint off with it. You will get what I mean when you start painting. The longer you wait between coats, the better the paint will look and easier it will apply.

5. Buy more than one sponge brush as the caliper painting takes a toll on the condition of the sponge brush after a few coats.

6. DO NOT CLEAR COAT IT OR APPLY "Lexus" sticker to the caliper until it has fully dried (1-5 days). I have done calipers about 5 times over the years and if you are impatient on doing this, you will have a ****ty result in a year from now. If you tried to apply the stickers the same day as the caliper paint, then as you spray clear coat then the clear coat will melt the paint and cause it to drip down on your precious white "lexus" stickers. IN other words, WAIT on the stickers and clear coat.

Here is the kit I bought:

Last edited by dackp143; 09-26-11 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-26-11, 09:33 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 516IS
Looks like the color of that shopping cart...
lol!! I called PetSmart and got their marketing guy on the line. I asked him the color of his shopping carts and he hooked me up
Old 09-26-11, 09:51 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Dackp143: This may be a stupid question so please don't flame me. Did you still drive your car during the 1-5 day drying period before you put the stickers and clear coat on? And where did you purchase your stickers? Thanks.
Old 09-26-11, 11:35 AM
YoNadz
Pole Position

dackp. what kind of clear did you use?? Aerosol?
Old 09-26-11, 02:20 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gladius
Dackp143: This may be a stupid question so please don't flame me. Did you still drive your car during the 1-5 day drying period before you put the stickers and clear coat on? And where did you purchase your stickers? Thanks.
No reason to ever flame someone for asking questions bro! Go over to MotoGFX! Matt over there will take GREAT care of you. Just select your car and the color stickers you want and use Paypal to check out. He will have those things in the mail the same day via USPS!

http://www.motogfx.com/lexus/
Look for "IS350 Caliper Decals" or "IS250 Caliper Decals" depending on the version of your car!
Old 09-26-11, 02:31 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YoNadz
dackp. what kind of clear did you use?? Aerosol?
Pretty much man, I hand painted the calipers but used aerosol to clear coat them. Honestly, I have used just regular clear coat from Home Depot before with ZERO problems. If you prefer though, head over to AutoZone or a similar company and spend a little extra and use Engine Enamel Clear Coat like this:

Old 09-26-11, 03:05 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gladius
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I AM driving around on the calipers! No down time except maybe a few hours after the last application so they dry a little bit.
Old 10-06-11, 09:03 PM
DNAIS
Driver School Candidate

Truly nice paint job on the calipers!
Old 10-06-11, 10:32 PM
LILVI3TNAM
Rookie

i did mines red same as you omg i spent like 3 hours with the wire brush, sandpaper also mesh wire very very fine wire.
Old 10-06-11, 10:33 PM
LILVI3TNAM
Rookie

BTW i also did the rotors ALL CALIPERS painted rear drums also

Quick Reply: IS350 brake calipers information