Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Springs vs Coils

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 08:17 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Springs vs Coils

I know this topic has been discussed a lot but I have a few specific questions that I havent found many answers to.

I know that coils let you adjust your height while springs lower your car to a set height but which setup will give require more maintenance in the short and long run?

I know that lowering on springs (Im considering the F Sport shocks) will wear your out your stock shocks faster but how much longer will they last until they need replacement? And what about the ride quality? I hear people say that you lose the "Lexus ride quality" but how bad is it? Im assuming not as bad as an old civic for example?

I also read a post by a member in another thread saying that you have to rebuild the shocks every 30K miles or so if you have coils. Would coils require more maintenance compared to just springs?
Old 09-15-11, 10:36 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coilovers will always require more maintenance than just springs. I have F Sport springs on the factory sport suspension shocks and I don't think my shocks will ever blow but then again they are different than the standard IS shocks. As far as ride quality I never felt the IS had good ride quality to begin with, it's much more harsh than an ES, GS, or LS. It's a sports sedan. I drive in my GF's 2010 Galant and the car rides much nicer than any IS i've been in. However I didn't buy the IS because I wanted the Lexus ride I would have bought another model if I wanted that. Coilovers have to be rebuilt they will not last the life of the vehicle, plain and simple. You maybe able to get 50,000 miles out of a coilover if your lucky. Springs have zero maintenance if you pair the spring and shock up right. If you buy F sport springs with the F Sport shocks you can expect them to last the life of the vehicle.
Old 09-15-11, 11:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Given the "life of the vehicle" is often 200,000-300,000 miles these days I certainly wouldn't expect any shock to last that long.

Now, they'll likely last longer than the 30-50k miles you might get out of a set of coilovers before needing a rebuild... but on the other hand a rebuild of the coilovers will likely cost a fair bit less than buying new OEM shocks... and you'll have a much better matched suspension combination since it's impossible to exactly match a progressive spring (which the F-sports, and all other aftermarket springs I know of for the 2IS are) to a shock because the spring rate is variable.

So to sum up- the spring/shock combo will last longer (though not forever) while coilovers will require more maintenance (probably every 30-50k miles depending on the quality of the parts and how hard you are on em), but in exchange you'll get a better suspension (and an adjustable one).

The big thing to my mind is can you afford to have your car sit parked while the coilovers are off being rebuilt or not?

If yes then I would, myself, find coilovers a better choice than aftermarket springs/shocks because I'd rather have the better, linear, suspension...(well, I find the OEM sport suspension the best choice personally, since there's a slight lowering, firmer suspension, and still linear...and I've no need for adjustability, but that's just me)...

If no then they're not really an option for you, unless you keep your OEM stuff and pay labor twice to run on the OEM parts while the coilovers are off being rebuilt... (or you do your own labor).
Old 09-15-11, 12:27 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Given the "life of the vehicle" is often 200,000-300,000 miles these days I certainly wouldn't expect any shock to last that long.

Now, they'll likely last longer than the 30-50k miles you might get out of a set of coilovers before needing a rebuild... but on the other hand a rebuild of the coilovers will likely cost a fair bit less than buying new OEM shocks... and you'll have a much better matched suspension combination since it's impossible to exactly match a progressive spring (which the F-sports, and all other aftermarket springs I know of for the 2IS are) to a shock because the spring rate is variable.

So to sum up- the spring/shock combo will last longer (though not forever) while coilovers will require more maintenance (probably every 30-50k miles depending on the quality of the parts and how hard you are on em), but in exchange you'll get a better suspension (and an adjustable one).

The big thing to my mind is can you afford to have your car sit parked while the coilovers are off being rebuilt or not?

If yes then I would, myself, find coilovers a better choice than aftermarket springs/shocks because I'd rather have the better, linear, suspension...(well, I find the OEM sport suspension the best choice personally, since there's a slight lowering, firmer suspension, and still linear...and I've no need for adjustability, but that's just me)...

If no then they're not really an option for you, unless you keep your OEM stuff and pay labor twice to run on the OEM parts while the coilovers are off being rebuilt... (or you do your own labor).
Im trying to look at it in the long run mostly. I dont want to "slam" my car or anything like that. All I want is a nice drop and get rid of the wheel gap, thats all. I dont want to be so low that I cant go through a speed bump at a "normal" speed. Now about price, I dont mind replacing the stock shocks (with preferably F Sport shocks) when they need replacing . I just wanted to know around how long my stock ones would last with the F Sport springs. (I currently have 24,xxx miles on my IS250) and how the overall ride quality would be with stock shocks + F Sport springs.
Old 09-15-11, 01:23 PM
lowis250
Lead Lap

sounds like you should just get some FSPORT SPRINGS and save your self 600$
Old 09-15-11, 01:53 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, I'm confused... You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I thought aftermarket coilovers essentially used the same technology as the stock/factory suspension. I thought the only difference was the ride height (and adjustability) and dampening stiffness (and adjustability)? Why do they last different amounts of time?
Old 09-15-11, 02:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Wait, I'm confused... You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I thought aftermarket coilovers essentially used the same technology as the stock/factory suspension. I thought the only difference was the ride height (and adjustability) and dampening stiffness (and adjustability)? Why do they last different amounts of time?
Keep in mind many folks buy coilovers intending to drive the car very very hard, often on a track... these folks will be rebuilding their coilovers a lot more often than a guy who just drops the car an inch or two and daily drives it... (the difference between the once-a-race-season rebuild and the guy who goes 60,000 miles before be needs a rebuild).... And since they're often meant for performance applications the spring rates are typically stiffer than the stock ones, and the dampers are working harder too.

You could theoretically order a set with OEM-like spring rates, and OEM-like shocks on em, and get OEM-like service life out of em if driven softly, but that's not the typical coilover buyer.

I suspect a more expensive set will last longer as well, there's a pretty broad range of pricing out there for coilovers.

As to ride quality- the coilovers should win here, not only can you adjust the height, you can select the spring rate (linear) and the amount of dampening from the shocks, when you order.... even better, you can change the valving on the shocks with most brands when you do send it in for a rebuild. Versus just springs, where you're looking at progressive rates you can't usually pick between, and very little choice in the way of shocks (which again can't ever be matched properly to progressive rate springs).
Old 09-15-11, 02:59 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

OP, no one can tell you how long your stock shocks will last with F Sport springs, it's impossible to even give you a range. They could last to 50,000 miles or they can last to 100,000 miles, you just don't know. If you're looking for longevity, get the F sport springs with the F sport shocks and you'll be very happy with no worries. You can also try to buy used factory Tokico sport shocks to suppliment having to buy the F Sport shocks as they are cheaper. However I don't think the logenvity of the pair have ever been tested. I'm running them right now and if they ever go out i'll be buying the F Sport shocks.
Old 09-15-11, 03:06 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

So I suppose in theory, if you drove the stock shocks with F-Sport springs with the same behavior as you drove with on a set of aftermarket coilovers, the expected life of the shocks would be closer to that of aftermarket coilovers, but still a decent bit more?
Old 09-15-11, 03:19 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

RocketGuy3, do you know how hard it is to NOT attack a corner with coils on? Think intake vs mpg, you hit the gas a touch more just to hear the intake. With coils you hit the corner faster cuz the car handles it with ease.
Old 09-15-11, 04:02 PM
Fsport350
Driver

Anyone rebuild their coils? (do they handle/feel the same as when you first got them) ...and how much does it normally cost?
Old 09-15-11, 04:46 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
RocketGuy3, do you know how hard it is to NOT attack a corner with coils on? Think intake vs mpg, you hit the gas a touch more just to hear the intake. With coils you hit the corner faster cuz the car handles it with ease.
Incidentally, I have Tein CS coils and was always planning on tracking/auto-x'ing my car when I did all these mods, but... well lack of initiative, plus fear of my insurance screwing me if I wrecked, plus fear of the potentially substantial extra wear and other costs got in the way. Still wanna get out there one day... But for now, Forza will have to do, haha.

I DO drive my car fairly hard, though. Used to be even harder before I got these Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Pluses in the rear. I've been kinda disappointed with their performance. They spin so easily, and the tail seems to come out so readily. Maybe the F-Sport sways can help out with the latter.

Aaanyhoo, I digress...

Originally Posted by Fsport350
Anyone rebuild their coils? (do they handle/feel the same as when you first got them) ...and how much does it normally cost?
Wondering the same thing.
Old 09-15-11, 04:57 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Incidentally, I have Tein CS coils and was always planning on tracking/auto-x'ing my car when I did all these mods, but... well lack of initiative, plus fear of my insurance screwing me if I wrecked, plus fear of the potentially substantial extra wear and other costs got in the way. Still wanna get out there one day... But for now, Forza will have to do, haha.

I DO drive my car fairly hard, though. Used to be even harder before I got these Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Pluses in the rear. I've been kinda disappointed with their performance. They spin so easily, and the tail seems to come out so readily. Maybe the F-Sport sways can help out with the latter.

Ditching those all-seasons for dedicated summer performance tires would help more... but yeah I'd have done sways very first thing suspension wise.

Wondering the same thing.
Rebuilding em should put them back to essentially new (or better than new if you didn't like new and ask them to adjust the dampening more to your liking)... for cost, depends on the unit in question... I've seen anywhere from $75-250 per corner from various vendors/models/etc on various cars

Tein has their pricelist online here:
http://www.tein.com/service/price_list.html

Looks like standard CS dampeners are $110 per corner, plus any parts they need to replace

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-15-11 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-15-11, 05:31 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I guess that's about what I would expect... But man, once you factor in labor for the removal/replacement and shipping, you're probably at over half of the initial cost of the coils.

As for the tires, yeah, I like the performance of summer tires, but it was hard to justify tires like that when I don't go to the track (yet). Not only do they cost more and wear faster, but those guys aren't kidding when they tell you not to drive the tires in <50-degree weather. They might as well be made of glass for a few weeks of the winter, even here in Texas. Guess I could always get a second set, though.
Old 09-15-11, 10:25 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by my95tsi
OP, no one can tell you how long your stock shocks will last with F Sport springs, it's impossible to even give you a range. They could last to 50,000 miles or they can last to 100,000 miles, you just don't know. If you're looking for longevity, get the F sport springs with the F sport shocks and you'll be very happy with no worries. You can also try to buy used factory Tokico sport shocks to suppliment having to buy the F Sport shocks as they are cheaper. However I don't think the logenvity of the pair have ever been tested. I'm running them right now and if they ever go out i'll be buying the F Sport shocks.
Your currently on stock shocks and F Sport springs? How many miles have you had that setup for? And I know that you cant put a set amount of time that they will last, Im just trying to get a general idea of what other members are getting.

Quick Reply: Springs vs Coils