Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clanking noises after lowering on Road Magnets IS250awd

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 07:24 AM
HMFIC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clanking noises after lowering on Road Magnets IS250awd

Hello!

I'm pretty new here but i've lurked a lot.

I've recently purchased an 07 IS250awd. I also purchased the Road Magnet springs and i lowered my car yesterday. The ride height is awesome and so is the ride. However, I'm having issues.

I've lowered on the stock shocks that are around 60k. I've cut the bump stops and uses everything else. I only replaced just the springs.

I've searched for Noises after lowering, clunking noises after lowering. Googled and all kinds of stuff.

But when I drive over rough patches or bumps, it sounds like the suspension is loose and making clunking noises. Both front and rear. I've tighten and double checked all the nuts and bolts. and i can't figure out why it sounds like the suspension is loose?

It's like the coils/struts are just bouncing up and down, yet everything is tight!

I then went to take it to my mechanic and they showed me the end links are gone. Just like that?! in a matter of minutes after lowering the car?

I already ordered new end links all the way around. But the question is, how long do they last as stock end links and does anyone know of any solutions to this other than buying end links if they fail from being lowered? possibly higher performance or stronger end links?

Loving the car btw!

Allan
Old 09-05-11, 07:31 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I had road magnet springs on my rwd is250, but i bought 5 packs of the Tein rubber silencers and put on the springs, i had no clunking issues. You may want to consider the silencers, it helps and their only like $5-6 bucks for each pack.
Attached Thumbnails Clanking noises after lowering on Road Magnets IS250awd-tein1.png   Clanking noises after lowering on Road Magnets IS250awd-tein2.jpg  
Old 09-05-11, 08:05 AM
HMFIC
Rookie

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
I had road magnet springs on my rwd is250, but i bought 5 packs of the Tein rubber silencers and put on the springs, i had no clunking issues. You may want to consider the silencers, it helps and their only like $5-6 bucks for each pack.
Interesting.

Did you have any loose feeling's at all? I mean my links were clearly loose. If i was on a smooth surface, they wouldn't make a peep when i would be cruising. Or even if i went over a speed bump really slow, no noise. Its the rough patches or harder hits.

I may have to try these as well.
Old 09-05-11, 10:41 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

As as i remember, i dont recall anything being loose, i only had them on my car for 1-2 months before i sold the car..but i sold the springs to a good friend (Vroomin350) and i dont think he has had any issues with them either.
Old 09-05-11, 12:04 PM
HMFIC
Rookie

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
As as i remember, i dont recall anything being loose, i only had them on my car for 1-2 months before i sold the car..but i sold the springs to a good friend (Vroomin350) and i dont think he has had any issues with them either.
OH right on! I'll def take a gander at these.

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-09-11, 01:28 PM
CGYIS250
Driver School Candidate

I have this EXACT same problem, but I'm also getting a terrible screeching noise when I do a hard right.

How much are the end links? easy install on your own?
Old 09-09-11, 06:00 PM
HMFIC
Rookie

I literally just got done with the car. THAT WAS THE PROBLEM!!!

The front end links are extremely easy. You just raise the car, take the wheels off, unbolt the end links and bolt in the new ones. No need to take anything else off.

The rears were supposed to be easy but i didnt spray pb blaster on the top of the end link and I had some trouble bustin that nut off. *giggity* So I just simply loosened the screw on the bottom of the end link on both left and right of the rear end, loosened the bolt that holds the bottom of the suspension, unbolted the rear stabilizer bar and dremmeled the nuts off.

This sound pretty complicated but it's quite quick and simple. It was taking me forever trying to use the allen key and turn the nut and it was barely moving.

Just spray pb blaster and you shouldn't run into the same issue i did.

Overall it's quite an easy job.

Not sure about your screeching sound tho.

But now the car is dead quiet! i love it.
Old 09-10-11, 02:14 PM
CGYIS250
Driver School Candidate

Awesome! How much were the end links?
Old 09-10-11, 08:30 PM
HMFIC
Rookie

Originally Posted by CGYIS250
Awesome! How much were the end links?
all four were 97 shipped to me.

They are like 16 a piece for each front and like 26? for each rear.

Pretty good deal
Old 09-25-11, 05:12 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HMFIC
all four were 97 shipped to me.

They are like 16 a piece for each front and like 26? for each rear.

Pretty good deal
So I need to ask where did you get this deal? I'm about to lower my 250rwd on stock struts and wheels as well and would love to have the info on the end links as well "JUST IN CASE"
Old 09-25-11, 06:03 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Just bought me 5 packs of these as well...about to lower my car on road magnet's also and will post up pics of the car after the drop and before on stockies... wheels coming son... but having a baby slows some moves... it's all good though
Old 09-26-11, 05:43 AM
HMFIC
Rookie

Originally Posted by FreshIS250
So I need to ask where did you get this deal? I'm about to lower my 250rwd on stock struts and wheels as well and would love to have the info on the end links as well "JUST IN CASE"
I purchased mine from ROCKAUTO.com. They have very good prices.

Also, i don't think the RWD folks suffer from t his unless you're slamming your car. The AWD guys using these springs drop the car 2 inches. I'd lower the car first then if you're having issues, then i would order from rockauto.com
Old 10-01-11, 08:45 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

I installed Road Magnet springs in my 2011 is250 rwd today and no clunking, i did use the tein rubber silencers tho.
Old 10-02-11, 08:45 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Here is a quick pic I took today with my Road Magnet springs.
Old 10-02-11, 09:37 PM
muskabeer
Driver School Candidate

looks perfect both front and back.

Quick Reply: Clanking noises after lowering on Road Magnets IS250awd