Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

replacing rear rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 06:10 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default replacing rear rotors

alright ive gotten the calipers off and the gaint 32mm hub nut/axle nut off and the damn thing wont budge. I've soaked it in wd40 and beat the damn thing with a monkey wrench

is there anything im missing?
Old 08-25-11, 09:55 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You took the nut off two..? I remember when i replaced mine a few months back it took a long while. Make sure you loosen up the ebrake! Mine was pretty well seized on there so maybe let it soak in a penetrator for a couple of hours.
Old 08-25-11, 11:22 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when I replaced my rear rotors on my 95 SC400 to get them off all I did was pull out the little rubber grommet "plug" that's on the rotor which now gives you a window. Rotate the rotor in any direction bringing the window to the bottom which will now allow you to adjust the star nut "adjuster" (you may need a light to see into the window) to bring the parking brake shoes in enough to allow you to slide off the rotor. Some times the rotor will need to be persuaded, so all you have to do is take a shot hammer or rubber mallet and hit it side to side up and down and she'll but loose. Hope this helps you out.
NOTE: the only time you should take off the the hub nut is when your removing and replacing the hub assembly.
Old 08-26-11, 10:36 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned before, loosen parking brake then beat it with a hammer
Old 08-26-11, 11:55 AM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

why'd you take off the axle nut? just let the ebrake down, and take the caliper and bracket off. then beat it with a mallet or deadblow.
Old 08-26-11, 12:14 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to take axle nut off.

As mentioned before, let off the parking brake and turn the star wheel to collapse the parking brake shoes. The shoes can wear and create a lip on the outer edge similar to a rotor with a lip. This lip can be large enough to keep the rotor from coming off the car.
Old 08-26-11, 08:40 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id bet its because the ebrake is on. haha forgot that one time long ago and felt soo dumb. haha!
Old 08-26-11, 11:16 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yea ebrake on, took it off and after beating the rotor for like 30 minutes it finally came off
Old 08-28-11, 07:48 AM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont have a picture with a rotor on, but you can see just beside the wheel stud (where the dark circle is) theres a small threaded hole on the rotors. There are 2 of these holes on the rotor hat.

With the E-brake off and assuming your e-brake isnt over-adjusted, you can thread 2 bolts (usually 12mm bolts) - ensure the bolts are the right thread-pitch. If they arent going in, dont force it.

These holes are used to help pull the rotor off of the hub. (almost like a pulley-puller). Equally run the bolts down and before you know it *POP*, the rotor is off. By not equally running the 2 bolts down, you can throw the rotor into an angled pitch and possibly pull the e-brake shoes off.

Its not that difficult, hell of alot easier than whackin away with a hammer like a caveman.
Attached Thumbnails replacing rear rotors-studly2.jpg  
Old 09-02-11, 05:08 AM
squrilbait
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Spooled

Its not that difficult, hell of alot easier than whackin away with a hammer like a caveman.
Lol.... work smarter not harder prolly in the manual.
Old 06-26-13, 07:40 AM
1992SCCCC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by socal72
when I replaced my rear rotors on my 95 SC400 to get them off all I did was pull out the little rubber grommet "plug" that's on the rotor which now gives you a window. Rotate the rotor in any direction bringing the window to the bottom which will now allow you to adjust the star nut "adjuster" (you may need a light to see into the window) to bring the parking brake shoes in enough to allow you to slide off the rotor. Some times the rotor will need to be persuaded, so all you have to do is take a shot hammer or rubber mallet and hit it side to side up and down and she'll but loose. Hope this helps you out.
NOTE: the only time you should take off the the hub nut is when your removing and replacing the hub assembly.
Socal72,
Thank you for the great tip about the parking brake, which I did not even know they existed inside the rear rotors. I understood perfectly your description. The only thing I would like to ask you: do you rotate the star nut downward or upward to collapse/shrink the ebrake shoes?
Thanks!
Old 06-26-13, 01:43 PM
SANDSTONE
Driver School Candidate

I can't wait to try this!