Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Any Idea on what this is? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 12:41 PM
SpriteDunk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Idea on what this is? HELP

i have a 98 gs and its lowered on stance GR+ coilovers. my problem that i cant figure out is when im driving and i go over a speed bump slow of course. is like my car shifts and make like clunking noises as if nothing is stable.

i am still on stock wheels. I though maybe my wheels base and them being narrow was the problem but i could see it being the problem any advice from anyone would be great.

also my lower ball joints re good along with my bushing etc. I hope i explained the well
Old 08-22-11, 09:21 PM
SpriteDunk
Driver School Candidate

i hope i explained this well enough...any ideas would be great
Old 08-24-11, 07:05 AM
trickz
Driver

Originally Posted by SpriteDunk
i hope i explained this well enough...any ideas would be great
I have the same exact problem .. even when I'm driving on the highway this thing is totally unstable .. if u find a solution let me know
Old 08-24-11, 10:45 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

how did you guys lowered your coilovers? By the collars and spring or by the lower sleeves?? also did you guys tightened everything up? I never had any issue with my GR+.
Old 08-24-11, 06:39 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem but I figured out what was wrong with my car. First you're going to want to jack up one of the front corners with that wheel off the car. Grab onto the spindle part that connects to the upper ball joint and try moving it back and forth(in and out, not side to side). If there's play in it, you will feel, see, and hear the upper ball joint hitting metal. Try it out and report back.
Old 08-24-11, 09:43 PM
SpriteDunk
Driver School Candidate

yes i did this today and infact there is play..... i just cant figure out the rear....everything is tight suspension wise the top of the spring is touching the top of the collar there is no play in the springs at all and i lowered by using the sleeves..... that rear is killing me it sounds like a marble jiggling around when driving because the roads out here in va beach arent perfect.... so with this jigle i gues i need new upper control arms or can just the upper balljoint be replaced?
Old 08-25-11, 10:38 AM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

1gs and 2gs front upper arms are interchangeable.

1is and 2gs rear upper arms are interchangeable.
Old 08-25-11, 01:32 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

yes i did this today and infact there is play..... i just cant figure out the rear....everything is tight suspension wise the top of the spring is touching the top of the collar there is no play in the springs at all and i lowered by using the sleeves..... that rear is killing me it sounds like a marble jiggling around when driving because the roads out here in va beach arent perfect.... so with this jigle i gues i need new upper control arms or can just the upper balljoint be replaced?
I have no idea about the rear. I haven't got that far yet since I've only had my car for 3 weeks but I'm focusing on the front end because that's just trashed. So far, I have done calipers, pads, rotors, lower ball joints, outer tie rods and still need to do upper control arms, steering rack bushings, and caster arm bushings.
Originally Posted by starfyrels
1gs and 2gs front upper arms are interchangeable.

1is and 2gs rear upper arms are interchangeable.
Nice to know that.
Old 08-25-11, 07:21 PM
SpriteDunk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oslouie
I have no idea about the rear. I haven't got that far yet since I've only had my car for 3 weeks but I'm focusing on the front end because that's just trashed. So far, I have done calipers, pads, rotors, lower ball joints, outer tie rods and still need to do upper control arms, steering rack bushings, and caster arm bushings..
where can the upper control arms be found at a decent price everywhere i have checked they are 350+ and to think to do both sides ouch on the pocket. do you recommend replacing everything u have replaced? or is that because ur stuff was truly trashed i guess....
Old 08-26-11, 08:20 AM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Upper UCA can be found ANYWHERE. GO on ebay, search.
Old 08-28-11, 12:51 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

where can the upper control arms be found at a decent price everywhere i have checked they are 350+ and to think to do both sides ouch on the pocket. do you recommend replacing everything u have replaced? or is that because ur stuff was truly trashed i guess....
Upper control arms are $80 shipped each on ebay. That's the lowest price I've found. I replaced the outer tie rods because mine were crap. The lower ball joints were done as a preventative thing and by doing the test I explained above, I could clearly tell that I needed the upper control arms.

I had my UCA's installed but I still have a slight clunking. Not much but some. I'm going to be doing the steering rack bushings and caster arm bushings soon. Hope that takes care of everything. If not, I'm going to move on to front shocks. I don't mind throwing the money into my car because I got it at 185k, there's no telling what has been replaced and what hasn't. I'd rather be safe than sorry.