Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Best quality upper control arms

Old 08-05-11, 03:12 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Best quality upper control arms

Hey guys, I think my upper ball joints are gonna go pretty soon so I'm in the market for some after market upper control arms that can angle more than the OEM ones or OEM replacement style. My car is on air and every time I slam my car is causes a lot of stress on the upper ball joints. I've for 30mm front RCA's which definitely helps the lower ball joints but I don't want to have to keep changing the uppers. I've been looking at adjustable ones from Nagisa Auto or Ikeya Formula which seem to angle more than the OEM which helps. I also came across these ones which looks like the ball joint is angled a bit so when it is lowered or slammed there would be a lot less stress on the ball joints. I love the concept but I dont love the price at $1100 USD

Maybe this is a job FIGS might want to tackle LOL

Option #2
I've also seen a shop in Japan selling knuckles that looks like they have been shortened so they will not push up the upper control arm up so high. My only concern with these is that they look like the OEM ones that have been cut and welded shorter and my only concern would be the strength and integrity. and would the nut connecting the ball joint touch the top of the tire because it is now shorter.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 08-05-11 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 03:40 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Option 1 is ideal...but yah..that price point is rediculous!!

Option 2 is scary...I'd pass on that.
Old 08-05-11, 04:14 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Or you can just cut a hole like people does.
Old 08-05-11, 04:30 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Or you can just cut a hole like people does.
I don't think you see what I'm trying to get at. Cutting the hole only prevents bottoming out the ball joint to the top of of the strut tower. But this doesn't relieve any of the lateral force on the ball joints which cases them to wear out quick and snap. If anything cutting the hole increases the stress on the ball joints because its forcing it at a harder angle.
Old 08-05-11, 05:18 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Maybe someone else can relate. But from what I've seen, the majority of the people here with AIR suspension dont replace their UCA. Just trying to save you some money.
Old 08-05-11, 05:57 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

we dont replace the UCA cuz they rarely fail... but when they do the damage is perdy dam bad.

yea cutting a hole only reduced the amount of bottoming out the UCA does to your body... the problem about this is that it causes the actual ball point to angle even more when its not supposed to angle that much anyways.

Option 1 is nice but pricy. there are many UCA arms in japan that are quite simular.

Option 2 doesnt look too bad if the welds are propper and have penetrated all the way. but yea a little iffy.
Old 08-05-11, 08:28 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Maybe someone else can relate. But from what I've seen, the majority of the people here with AIR suspension dont replace their UCA. Just trying to save you some money.
Its because all the good ones are over $1k LOL. But ya I appreciate the input.
Originally Posted by vwynn
Option 2 doesnt look too bad if the welds are propper and have penetrated all the way. but yea a little iffy.
Thats the big IF right there hehehe
Old 08-06-11, 10:14 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

These are more like the design's I've been used to in the minitruckin world. My ranger has similar arms (their just DOM tube instead of plate stock), being adjustable at the frame mount instead of the typical ball joint slide plate you usually see on import car arms.

And that's not a ball joint, it's a uniball. These are awesome and will allow way more angle/travel than a standard ball joint. And strong as hell too, a lowered/air ride import car will not put anywhere near the shearing forces that bagged trucks do hopping on nitrogen can put these joints through, and they have been used on rock crawling jeeps for many years as well before they made their way into bagged truck use..

$1000 is steep, but I like this design.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 08-06-11 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-06-11, 10:21 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah it does seem that the design could interfere with tire/wheel combos, as the GS knuckles are already so close to the wheel.

And this could have have serious effects to the geometry of the car as well. I'm not to sure about going this route.

Old 08-06-11, 02:40 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who makes option 1 ?

Im sure if there is a big enough market FIGS would make it.

How long would option 1 last compared to new oem ?
Old 08-08-11, 08:02 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by NVTHSLEX
Who makes option 1 ?

Im sure if there is a big enough market FIGS would make it.
im curious to see who makes these also....for this price though i would probably go to ikeya though

figs is supposed to be in the process of making upper control arms for us but i dunno what the status is. let me PM him this link and see what he says

Last edited by sakataj; 08-08-11 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-08-11, 08:47 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Still working on mine guys, its just a lot of details to finish them off.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-08-11, 11:01 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Originally Posted by sakataj
im curious to see who makes these also....for this price though i would probably go to ikeya though
Its a smaller Japanese company. Here is the link to their website http://www.milky-white.com/kamikaze/cat19/
Old 08-08-11, 11:38 AM
cjames235
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wanted to add this in here just incase..... by looking at Carson's website at the Ikeya arms they list 00-05 IS and also 91-00 SC's on the same fitment list as the GS

do you guys think by chance either one of those arms would also work on the GS? There are a few companies that make arms for the IS (megan, cusco, etc)

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=3011
Old 08-08-11, 11:52 AM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel you bro, These are my SPC, there not to great for Slammed cars... and theres also a lot of stress on it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best quality upper control arms