Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-sport Spring only

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 03:09 PM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-sport Spring only

Hi there,

I have a 2010 IS 250C convertible, thinking about lowering the car by about one inch or so. The problem is that there aren't many options other than F-sport springs/shocks for the convertible, which is about 400lb heavier than the sedan. Also the combo is expensive that definitely puts you into coilovers price territory. I am thinking about just lower the car with F-sport spring right now, and upgrade when I have more choice.

Lexus says the F-sport springs are compatible with stock shocks. But I heard the stock shock won't last long since the spring rate is different from stock spring. Does anyone have long term experience with this setup? Does it also make the infamous clunk noise?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 08-04-11, 05:19 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been on fsport springs+oem shock for 20k. No issue here. The clunk noise is gone when you buy it new. They made a newer version for the rear to counter the clunking issue.

Last edited by mong; 08-04-11 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-04-11, 11:29 PM
freeflight
Driver

Originally Posted by mong
Been on fsport springs+oem shock for 20k. No issue here. The clunk noise is gone when you buy it new. They made a newer version for the rear to counter the clunking issue.
Cool. Did you experience any handling issue with the spring only setup?
This review mentioned "the car floats for longer than normal."
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...in-shocks.html
Old 08-04-11, 11:44 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the f-sport springs installed on my 350 last week w. stock shocks. No complaints so far.. love it. Also have rear sway bar upgrade.
Old 08-04-11, 11:45 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

You can get that floaty feeling when the oem shock isn't matched to the F-Sport springs. OEM shocks are on the soft side. With a matched spring/shock, you get better compression and rebound. F-Sport spring/oem shocks are still better than stock springs/oem shocks imo. With stock setup, it's always feels floaty and the body roll is ridiculous when cornering.

I'm also referring to the oem tanabe non-sport shocks. The sport shocks (sport package and F-Sport models) are stiffer with stiffer linear springs. F-Sport springs are progressive.

Last edited by MrBBQ; 08-04-11 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 12:15 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by freeflight
Cool. Did you experience any handling issue with the spring only setup?
This review mentioned "the car floats for longer than normal."
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...in-shocks.html
With the f-sport springs is gonna be a little more stiffer then oem's of course. I live in Rancho Cucamonga, the road here is still pretty new so it isn't that bad BUT when I drive to Los Angeles.. I'm on high alert . Bottom line is.. if you lowered your car on anything you're gonna lose some of your "Lexus' ride quality" but you also lose most of your wheel gap. Fsport is a mild drop, so you don't have to worry about scraping and camber wear .
Old 08-05-11, 09:21 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

You can do a quick search... there have been reports earlier that people who installed F-Sport Springs with OEM shocks will have ride problems in the future.

It feels ok in the beginning. But after a while, there have been reports that it's going to get very bouncy. That's expected because the OEM shocks cannot compensate for the higher spring rate of the F-Sport Lowering Springs. It will wear out your OEM shocks faster...

I would get them as a set because the F-Sport Springs were designed to be with the F-Sport shock. But you can use the OEM shocks as they advertised because it fits in there.
Old 08-05-11, 10:08 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

I have F Sport springs on the factory Tokico sport shocks. I have no complaints other than the increased noise inside the cabin. I feel the ride is exactly the same as the stock sport suspension but I do notice increased creaks and rattles especially on graded or grooved surfaces. I hear a lot of noise in the sunroof or roof in general for some reasom. IMO I would imagine F Sport springs on an IS-C would turn it into a rattle box.
Old 08-08-11, 06:51 PM
freeflight
Driver

Originally Posted by mong
With the f-sport springs is gonna be a little more stiffer then oem's of course. I live in Rancho Cucamonga, the road here is still pretty new so it isn't that bad BUT when I drive to Los Angeles.. I'm on high alert . Bottom line is.. if you lowered your car on anything you're gonna lose some of your "Lexus' ride quality" but you also lose most of your wheel gap. Fsport is a mild drop, so you don't have to worry about scraping and camber wear .
ah...I live in LA and this is my daily driver on freeways. How bad does the ride quality get with your setup?
Old 08-08-11, 06:54 PM
freeflight
Driver

Originally Posted by my95tsi
I have F Sport springs on the factory Tokico sport shocks. I have no complaints other than the increased noise inside the cabin. I feel the ride is exactly the same as the stock sport suspension but I do notice increased creaks and rattles especially on graded or grooved surfaces. I hear a lot of noise in the sunroof or roof in general for some reasom. IMO I would imagine F Sport springs on an IS-C would turn it into a rattle box.
I am happy with my ride as is, though it makes very occasionally rattles on the freeway. The LA freeway is notoriously bad. I would be very disappointed if the car rattles more with F-sport springs while I am cruising on freeways.
Old 08-09-11, 12:33 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Stiffer springs on ISC = rattles.
Old 08-09-11, 07:01 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ I respectfully disagree.

The car has some rattles that are inherent with any convertible, but the springs didn't seem to make them much worse (if at all).
Old 08-09-11, 07:41 PM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have just the f-sport springs and they are paired with the stock non-sport shocks. I have no complaints, I really dont think everyday driving is any different. Good news is that wheel gap is gone
Old 08-10-11, 12:44 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 588 Likes on 397 Posts

I would think that the F-Sport Springs on the stock sport-suspension shocks would likely be not too bad, but the stock non-sport suspension shocks might be a bit soft for them.

I've never driven it with them, but I think I'd get the F-Sport shocks if I did, why do the job twice, I guess.

Jeff
Old 08-14-12, 09:24 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

had a stock shock go out on fsport springs...my SA is trying to get the shock replaced under my extended Lexus warranty but it might be a no go since I put fsport springs on the car without the fsport shocks. They know it kills the oem shock faster.

That being said if she cant cover it then ive found a local guy selling a set of 4 springs/shocks oem so id just pull them all and then sell the fsport springs on the old shocks on here, the other 3 shocks she said seem to be in perfect working order. Hopefully its covered under warranty to save me all the additional work though.

Quick Reply: F-sport Spring only