Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

steering wheel doesn't return to center position?

Old 08-05-11, 11:57 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ok, crisis averted then. Thank you.
Old 08-05-11, 12:00 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by B16da9
Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
if thats how they all are, i certainly wouldnt consider an IS. I had several IS loaners and never experienced this problem.

I however had experienced this in my GS. turns out my rack and pinion was bad. dunno dealer replaced it under warranty and its been fine since.
This is most likely the issue.
I'll keep this in mind. How easy is it to check this? Could I ask whoever is mounting to check it out? or whoever is handling alignment?
Old 08-05-11, 12:05 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude.. I'm pretty sure its our tires. The only way to find out is to ask some one in your area with an 2is to swap tires for a bit and test drive it. I'm just going to live with it for now. I knew I should of got the continental dw tires instead! oh well..
Old 08-05-11, 12:22 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^yeah but how easy is that to do? And costly?

At this point, Assuming Hankook is willing to replace the two rear tires, I'll get those put on. Then replace my bent front rim which should take care of the remaining balancing issue. And while I'm dealing with the fronts, I'll swap out the front left and front right. Hopefully that solves the problem. if not, I'm going to have to live with it - and never buy Hankook tires again.
Old 08-05-11, 07:22 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by my95tsi
No you're fine. It's doesn't have to be the exact same spec on each side as long as each side is within spec. If it's a race car then that would be different but for a street car you're fine. My alignment is within spec but shows more difference from side to side than yours but my car is fine. Drives straight, no pulling, shaking or vibrations and i have F sport springs.
I posted this in a different thread, but being within the range spec does not mean it is dialed in or perfectly set for your car therefore your car could in fact still be out. For instance, it can be on the extreme edge of being close to out but still be in green.

It does not necessary have to be race car but in general, it needs to be set correctly.

For my car, with the alignment I had for instance, they did some other things typically not done in by a factory since they had to correct the geometry since the alignment was quite off (supposedly aligned from dealership). Also put weights in the drivers seat to alignment it simulate the primary driver as one of the ways to fine tune it.

Last edited by Sango; 08-06-11 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-06-11, 11:20 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shahryar
Originally Posted by mong
Dude.. I'm pretty sure its our tires. The only way to find out is to ask some one in your area with an 2is to swap tires for a bit and test drive it. I'm just going to live with it for now. I knew I should of got the continental dw tires instead! oh well..
^yeah but how easy is that to do? And costly?

At this point, Assuming Hankook is willing to replace the two rear tires, I'll get those put on. Then replace my bent front rim which should take care of the remaining balancing issue. And while I'm dealing with the fronts, I'll swap out the front left and front right. Hopefully that solves the problem. if not, I'm going to have to live with it - and never buy Hankook tires again.
I really hope this issue is just something w/ the tires. If it's alignment related, just seems so much more difficult to get resolved. I read through the https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-their-f.html thread and people were driving hundreds of miles to different alignment places.

I've seen things mentioned in other threads too.. rack bushings, tie rod ends, A-arm bushings, ball joints, shocks, struts... control arm bushings (are those the same as a-rod bushings?)... and the rack and pinion that was mentioned earlier in this thread...

Argh.. it's times like this owning a car like this sucks - one which you care so much about the ride being perfect.
Old 08-06-11, 11:47 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shahryar
I really hope this issue is just something w/ the tires. If it's alignment related, just seems so much more difficult to get resolved. I read through the https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-their-f.html thread and people were driving hundreds of miles to different alignment places.

I've seen things mentioned in other threads too.. rack bushings, tie rod ends, A-arm bushings, ball joints, shocks, struts... control arm bushings (are those the same as a-rod bushings?)... and the rack and pinion that was mentioned earlier in this thread...

Argh.. it's times like this owning a car like this sucks - one which you care so much about the ride being perfect.
I didn't see that thread, but pretty much yeah (based on what I read) which I have mentioned previously. You need to bring your car to a place to a person who knows what they are doing and work on it correctly.

Last edited by Sango; 08-06-11 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-06-11, 03:35 PM
mong
Lead Lap

So yesterday I went to America's tire to get a claim form and after telling the guy at the front desk about my issue.. he wanted to switch the front tires side to side to see if that's the real cause. I was like okay. I got the car back and drove off to work.. I noticed the car was scraping the front fenders. The installer rotated my fronts to the back and the backs to the fronts instead!! took it back.. and the dude forgot to put weights on one of the tire so it was not balanced correctly(what an idiot). Took it back today and let a friend of mine that worked there do the balancing this time. He told me the fronts was way off and he thinks the previous installer forgot to put stagger setting on the balancing machine? Now the car drives like a CHAMP! will do some more driving and keep y'all posted.
Old 08-11-11, 07:53 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Here is the alignment specs for my cars.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4034/align.jpg - 07 IS250 AWD (done last year)
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2629/align2.jpg - 08 IS250 RWD (done today)

Both of these cars had factory alignment at the dealership before purchasing, but wow the factory alignment is off (initial readouts)!

Both cars are driving perfectly from getting it properly aligned at a dedicated alignment shop.

Last edited by Sango; 08-11-11 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 08:26 PM
Legend217
Driver

Mong. How was Hankook V12 now ? I was going for those tires but a service guy told me those tires will not last long (25,000 miles) compare to Michelin Sport A/S (50,000 miles) + he gave me a freaking deal on the Michelin.
Old 08-11-11, 10:05 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Legend217
Mong. How was Hankook V12 now ? I was going for those tires but a service guy told me those tires will not last long (25,000 miles) compare to Michelin Sport A/S (50,000 miles) + he gave me a freaking deal on the Michelin.
It still pulls to the left on the highway. Michelin a/s will out last most summer tires but it wont out perform non of them..
Old 08-11-11, 11:00 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Mong, just curious, is yours RWD or AWD?
Old 08-11-11, 11:36 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sango
Mong, just curious, is yours RWD or AWD?
My car is rwd.
Old 08-15-11, 11:06 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

I had this same exact experience with my IS 350 RWD when I first purchased my car. Took it to the dealership and they checked everything out with no problems. They said its just the way RWD cars are. I didn't know, but I am use to having to rotate the steering wheel back when I make a U turn or a tight turn.

Its unfortunate my Honda accord steering wheel will return back to place when I make a tight turn...
Old 08-15-11, 11:17 PM
Legend217
Driver

I also have problem with 08 IS350. Car keeps pulling to the right although I just replaced my stock tires with Michelin Sport A/S tires (all 4). I had the alignment check and done today. They showed me the paper of what they adjusted. I will come back there tmr and have a tech test drive the car with me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: steering wheel doesn't return to center position?