Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

steering wheel doesn't return to center position?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 01:44 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Find someone you know with wheels/tires that would fit your Lex and ask them to trade you for the weekend/week/whatever so you can test out your theory. I'm sure there are plenty of folks in the SoCal area that are probably even on here that might help you out.
Old 08-02-11, 09:19 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Yep, and the thread title too : "steering wheel doesn't return to center position". OP didn't hardly detail to the extent his issues were...whether it be an alignment issue or a steering rack issue. Perhaps he has an aftermaket steering wheel that he incorrectly installed, thus causing the "centering" issue. Man, just trying to internet-diagonis a problem...think outside the box.
And yet you still don't get it....

Guys the OP's problem is that when he turns a corner the steering wheel doesn't automatically slide through his hands and return to center like many cars do. It's not an alignment issue and the steering wheel being being mounted wrong has nothing to do with it. All IS's do it but most of us are just used to it. When you turn a corner you manuallyy straighten the car back out. All you need to do is read, the OP stated it quite clearly.
Old 08-02-11, 10:24 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by my95tsi
And yet you still don't get it....

Guys the OP's problem is that when he turns a corner the steering wheel doesn't automatically slide through his hands and return to center like many cars do. It's not an alignment issue and the steering wheel being being mounted wrong has nothing to do with it. All IS's do it but most of us are just used to it. When you turn a corner you manuallyy straighten the car back out. All you need to do is read, the OP stated it quite clearly.

I don't know about your car but mine comes back to center on it's own.
Old 08-02-11, 11:21 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

I've had 3 ISx50's and all had the issue. When yuo turn it will come back part of the way but not entirely back to center. Give it a shot. Some car with much lighter steering will literally whip back straight. The IS's i've owned will come back about half way if I put no effort into it.
Old 08-02-11, 11:41 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My steering wheel comes back at 11 o clock L and 1 o clock R. With the veering to the left, it only happen during 70mph+.
Old 08-02-11, 12:32 PM
Gville350

I'll test this out on my way home from work and see what my '06 350 does. I would have noticed a difference in steering wheel "center return" coming from driving hydro racked vehicles for years though. I have yet to notice a centering issue...but I'll check it out.
Old 08-02-11, 12:36 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

if thats how they all are, i certainly wouldnt consider an IS. I had several IS loaners and never experienced this problem.

I however had experienced this in my GS. turns out my rack and pinion was bad. dunno dealer replaced it under warranty and its been fine since.
Old 08-02-11, 01:23 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
if thats how they all are, i certainly wouldnt consider an IS. I had several IS loaners and never experienced this problem.

I however had experienced this in my GS. turns out my rack and pinion was bad. dunno dealer replaced it under warranty and its been fine since.

This is most likely the issue.
Old 08-02-11, 02:06 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea my IS steering wheel needs some encouragement to turn back to centre ... it does turn back to centre .. just not quick enough
Old 08-03-11, 01:00 PM
Gville350

I tested my '06 350 on numeous corners yesterday starting 5:30pm leaving work and as late as 10pm heading home, and everytime the steering wheel returned to center w/o assistance from me.
Old 08-05-11, 11:00 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mong
I now think my tires are defective(hankook evo v12) cause all the veering to the left all started when I got the hankooks. After been to 5 different alignment shops.. iono what else it could be. =/
My life's been hell ever since I put new Hankook V12 tires on about 3 months ago. I'm not 100% sure if that's the start of my rough ride (shakiness, vibrations, etc) and pull problems but I'm pretty sure - especially for the rough ride which is now figured out (see the rough ride link).

The other events that occurred around the time of the new tires was that I had an alignment done (the car's second one) and had front and rear F-Sport sway bars installed. Not sure if they're the culprits in my annoying ride. I took the car back to the alignment shop after the new tires were put on a little over a month ago. They said the left toe was out a bit probably due to a pothole or something and did the adjustment. however, I'm still dealing with the same pull.

Attached is the alignment sheet they gave me.

I'm working with hankook customer service now and I'm hoping they'll be replacing my rear tires and paying for the mounting of it. When they do that, I plan to pay myself for the swap of the fronts to the other sides to see what that does to the drive. I guess radial pull is something that couldn't be detected on a machine? My steering wheel too doesn't return to the center and I think it used to before because I'm noticing it now.
Attached Thumbnails steering wheel doesn't return to center position?-20110627_alignment-on-the-is-350-from-iag-when-car-at-45603-miles-edited.jpg  

Last edited by Shahryar; 08-05-11 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-05-11, 11:23 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like your alignemnt could of been further fine tuned. Seems a bit too much difference beteen left side and right. If you look at mine for instance, even thou it is a 250, the difference is much tighter.

Old 08-05-11, 11:33 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^ Hmm.. maybe I should find another alignment place. Hopefully I can get some more opinions.
Old 08-05-11, 11:40 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahryar
My life's been hell ever since I put new Hankook V12 tires on about 3 months ago. I'm not 100% sure if that's the start of my rough ride (shakiness, vibrations, etc) and pull problems but I'm pretty sure - especially for the rough ride which is now figured out (see the rough ride link).

The other events that occurred around the time of the new tires was that I had an alignment done (the car's second one) and had front and rear F-Sport sway bars installed. Not sure if they're the culprits in my annoying ride. I took the car back to the alignment shop after the new tires were put on a little over a month ago. They said the left toe was out a bit probably due to a pothole or something and did the adjustment. however, I'm still dealing with the same pull.

Attached is the alignment sheet they gave me.

I'm working with hankook customer service now and I'm hoping they'll be replacing my rear tires and paying for the mounting of it. When they do that, I plan to pay myself for the swap of the fronts to the other sides to see what that does to the drive. I guess radial pull is something that couldn't be detected on a machine? My steering wheel too doesn't return to the center and I think it used to before because I'm noticing it now.
Hmm I'm having similar issues with the Hankooks as well.. light vibrations at freeway speed and pulling to the left. It all started when I put on the Hankooks. Keep us posted.
Old 08-05-11, 11:45 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shahryar
^ Hmm.. maybe I should find another alignment place. Hopefully I can get some more opinions.
No you're fine. It's doesn't have to be the exact same spec on each side as long as each side is within spec. If it's a race car then that would be different but for a street car you're fine. My alignment is within spec but shows more difference from side to side than yours but my car is fine. Drives straight, no pulling, shaking or vibrations and i have F sport springs.

Quick Reply: steering wheel doesn't return to center position?