Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Caliper Painting

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 01:50 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper Painting

I plan on painting my calipers this weekend, I already did a search on painting calipers but I still have a question, IM just gonna go buy a can of high heat spray paint, and just spray them making sure everything is properly covered, But is there anything that I should still be careful with like putting too much paint, cuz I dont want to spray my calipers then end up ruining my brakes cuz they are stuck in a certain position, and one more thing, will I need to get it balanced after I take off all four tires? thanks

ShOwGS
Old 09-19-02, 02:53 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think the hardest part about your method would be getting even coats all around. not just trying to paint even coats on one caliper, but getting all 4 calipers to match in "paintiness." especially since wet spray paint is quite liquidy and tends to run. i'd say try going light, then layer a few light coats. always easier to recoat than to take off overspray right? good luck. as for balancing tires, IMO you can put the tires back on, tighten the nuts real tight, do the best you can and they should be good to go at least til your next oil change, when you can get it balanced/rotated what not. again, good luck.
Old 09-19-02, 03:59 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your Hi temp paint gives directions like " Allow 10 minutes between coats. Apply all recoats within one hour" Then says "For additional coats after one hour, allow paint to cure for 5 days" make sure you follow it to the letter. The paint will have a high probability to wrinkle if it goes on too heavy while still wet or if you recoat a few hours later.

If done right it looks great.
Attached Thumbnails Caliper Painting-frdsk1.jpg  

Last edited by RMMGS4; 09-19-02 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-19-02, 04:04 AM
RMMGS4

Default .

Attached Thumbnails Caliper Painting-rrdsk2.jpg  
Old 09-19-02, 04:21 AM
LexFather

I applied lacquer with a brush, it's been on 1 1/2 with minimal flaking.
Old 09-19-02, 07:38 PM
Goods
Driver

RMM:

What's the name of the metal part thats painted black in the second picture .. that's not included on the first picture?

Are those included with new rotors?

The reason I ask is if purchasing a different size rotor ... and also because mine is dented for some reason.

Thanks,
Goods

PS I'll try and make it to Milpitas tomorrow if I get some time.
Old 09-19-02, 08:11 PM
RMMGS4

I think your talking about the shroud that covers the back of the rotor, that's factory. I painted that too.

The front shroud is there, only if you have stock size front rotors.

Old 09-20-02, 02:19 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

RMMGS4 - Looking sweet! By any chance, do you have any pictures of the side and rear view of you car with the 285/30-19s??? I still haven't mounted tires on my car because I want to see what will look best and the widest Thanks!
Old 09-20-02, 02:24 PM
RMMGS4

I was thinking about posting that very thing, but I also wanted to publish the F & R offset, which I currently don't know.

I'll post a new thread on what your asking for, since I had others ask me this in the past and I never got back to them.

I'll try to do it today or tomorrow.

RMMGS4
Old 09-20-02, 02:26 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Wonderful!!! Thank you very much (from us all...hehe)
Old 09-20-02, 05:45 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since, I had my calibers first removed with the old pads still on, I went crazy and painted everything. There was no brake lines to worry about, or worrying if I would get paint on the rims or pads. When they dried, I removed the old pads which were all full of the caliber paint and put the new ones on with new shim kit and clips. Looked very good...really the best way to paint calipers if you can go down take this route.
Old 09-20-02, 05:58 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Since, I had my calibers first removed with the old pads still on, I went crazy and painted everything. There was no brake lines to worry about, or worrying if I would get paint on the rims or pads. When they dried, I removed the old pads which were all full of the caliber paint and put the new ones on with new shim kit and clips. Looked very good...really the best way to paint calipers if you can go down take this route.
i can imagine...must've been a kid going ketchup crazy on his omelette.
Old 09-21-02, 01:21 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not use spray. Someone here mentioned using a paint brush.....that's probably the best way...

I used a product from a company called Foliatec. Its a two part mixture that hardens within 30 to 45 minutes. With a paintbrush, you do not need to go crazy covering all the parts that you do not want painted. I had tried spray painting ...what a mess...

I was able to do all four calipers within a couple of hours. Save yourself the headaches....do a website search for Foliatec caliper paint.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-03, 12:28 PM
Marko
Driver School Candidate

Question Calibers ?

Does anyone know of a website where I can buy pre-painted (red) calibers?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-03, 12:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

welcome to the board. just go to pepboys or kragen, get the duplicolor engine enamel 500C high temp paint, 4 bucks. it's just as good and it's a lot cheaper than other paint that's for calipers. they are all the same after all! most of us here in north cali (at least 4 of us) used this paint and it's been holding up perfect!

Quick Reply: Caliper Painting