Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help diagnosing a suspension/brake noise!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 10:03 AM
AdamInKC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help diagnosing a suspension/brake noise!

My '01 IS300 has a clicking noise ONLY from the front passenger side when braking that is only audible below 30mph and also goes away when braking hard. The noise NEVER occurs while accelerating, turning corners, going over bumps, etc. I have had two shops look at the car and so far we have replaced the pads twice, turned the rotors, replaced & lubed the caliper slides, replaced the anti-rattle clips. The noise is very annoying and I really want to get to the bottom of this. My car has 95k miles and is 100% stock. The last shop I took it to guesses that the lower control arm is bad; however all posts I have read make it sounds like this will only make a 'clunking' sound when going over bumps. To diagnose this, he installed a chassis ear on the car and said that the noise was loudest when he was on the lower control arm. Some on the board suggested a bad wheel bearing; however the car never makes a grinding/growling sound while driving or turning with the wheel cranked either way. Please help me diagnose this so I am not throwing parts at the car.
Old 09-26-11, 11:32 AM
rvsjff
Driver School Candidate

I just bought my 01 two weeks ago and it just started doing the same thing...i figured it was caliper bracket bolts may be loose but havent torn it apart yet. I have read on other forums that the axle nut in the rear has been loose and caused a clicking sound but mine seems to be from the front as well. I would check your strut mounts...and if they seem fine have a friend watch the pass. front wheel as you brake in front of him to see if the wheel is moving front to back, that would indicate control arm bushings.
Old 01-21-12, 01:38 PM
AAHawaii07
Pole Position

Have you tried checking your CV axle boots? You should check it might be crack or torn.
Old 04-10-12, 07:28 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Did the shop check the ball joints and tie rods for play? If not I would check those out.