Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bc coilovers help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 06:12 PM
4eign
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bc coilovers help!!!

wsup everyone,

so me and my bro got to installing my BC Extreme Kit in my GS300 and my rear left coil will not turn by hand whats so ever. We had to remove the control arm (or sway bar which ever holds the strut) and turned the bottom of the coilover to rise the height. The other coils turned by hand with ease (or some what) as i assumed they should.

Now one thing my bro did do, he later told me, was that he loosened and srewed/unscrewed the 2 locks on the upper side of the coil. When i read the manual it says to "please" not touch that whats so ever. Now thing is we have no clue what the factory setting was!

Also even tho the measurement frm the top lock of the coil to the bottom matches on both sides, and also frm the top of the fender to the middle of the rotos, the back left side that wont adjust like the others is higher than the right side. smh.

So where he adjusted the top two locks to go knows what...how can i return it to factory setting and how bad will this affect ride etc?

Please need help since i don't wanna ride on this if it is now dangerous, am hoping someone had done this to and can help.

thanks in advance!

p.s: when they both measured same distance as far as ride height on the coil, the right side tire was touchn the fender while the left was at about 1 finger frm the fender. So we lifted and increased the height by and inch on the left and i figured go 3/4" more on the right to match the left but its still off. so i am assuming that the coil on the left has an issue.

also where do u guys have the hard/soft settings at to get it to ride like stock?

Last edited by 4eign; 07-09-11 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-10-11, 06:06 PM
4eign
Lead Lap

anyone with any words of wisdom?
Old 07-10-11, 07:32 PM
AKS14
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call or e-mail the guys at BC, im sure they will be more then happy to point you in the right direction.
Old 07-10-11, 08:24 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The upper spring perches are for preload only.

The proper way to set preload on a coilover-

-Loosen both lock rings under the spring (spring seat ring(top) and spring lock ring(bottom)) so that the spring is loose and can move up and down slightly.

-Tighten up the spring seat ring so that the spring is snug, but do not tighten it down past simply holding the spring snug, this will be "0" preload.

-Now bring the bottom lock ring up so that it is just touching the spring seat ring, but do not tighten to lock, you will be moving the spring seat ring next.

-Now tighten up the spring seat ring so that you are now preloading (compressing) the spring.

-Measure the distance between the bottom ring and the top ring as you are tightening, once there is a 3mm gap between the two rings, you have 3mm of preload on the spring.

-Tighten up the lock ring to lock your preload in place

-Repeat for all 4 corners.
Old 07-10-11, 08:30 PM
1lexus2c
Pole Position

http://www.modernperformance.com/blo...caliber-cobalt
Old 07-11-11, 07:28 AM
4eign
Lead Lap

Great info and thanks!!!!