Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Powder coating brake calipers - How to disassemble??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 04:46 PM
ChaseMX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder coating brake calipers - How to disassemble??

Okay, I'm getting my wheels powder coated right now and I was thinking about getting my calipers done. I know that if I do, I'm going to have to take them completely apart. Just don't know how hard that will be and if it is even possible. Has anyone done this?? Any DIY's on it??

Thanks!
Old 06-17-11, 08:42 PM
561Lexus
Driver

Dude... Get the G2 Brake Caliper Paint kit... Best $50 I ever spent.... It looks amazing! So easy, all you do is take the tire off, sand, clean, and paint the caliper, and your done... its like 2.5 hours of work but its worth it to save hundreds.... You can powder coat if you really want the paint to last for years, but imo i would rather redo this every couple of years than pay for powder coating....
Old 06-17-11, 09:19 PM
ChaseMX
Driver School Candidate

I've got a customer who does powder coating.. I hook him up with parts and he does my coating for like... free. So I already got the gold powder that I want but not sure about how to do the calipers. I've done the paint thing which does look decent but thought I'd give this a try.
Old 06-17-11, 09:23 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Remove the calipers and ask your buddy if the pistons won't get messed up while coating. He'd know. Yeah, get a color that isn't available in the G2 color so they know it's custom.
Old 06-17-11, 09:26 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

It quite easy to disassemble your break caliper but you have to due with break fluid. It's not fun at all. Get caliper paint kit and have job done in no time. Good luck dude
Old 06-18-11, 05:34 PM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Remove the calipers and ask your buddy if the pistons won't get messed up while coating. He'd know. Yeah, get a color that isn't available in the G2 color so they know it's custom.
This is not worth asking. The pistons will not get messed up but the seals will crack from the heat of the oven that is used to powder coat the calipers. Powder coating is well worth the money and will look better longer. You will need a rebuild kit from the dealer. I have never taken a caliper apart but I am told it is very easy.
Old 06-25-11, 04:42 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BernieIS
This is not worth asking. The pistons will not get messed up but the seals will crack from the heat of the oven that is used to powder coat the calipers. Powder coating is well worth the money and will look better longer. You will need a rebuild kit from the dealer. I have never taken a caliper apart but I am told it is very easy.
You are absolutely right but, it really depends on the caliper itself if the seals will be affected by the heat in the oven. Some calipers have thicker seals depending on the caliper size as well as brand. It is advised that you rebuild the caliper after you dissemble it.

But when it comes to powder coating, many times the seals withstand the heat from the oven and dont need a rebuild. Its been done before with success and no problems. Your really just rolling the die. I recently got my calipers powdercoated gold and didnt rebuild it. Hopefully when it doesnt drive me nuts
Old 06-25-11, 05:04 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

G2 Sponsored a brake paint kit for one of my cars many years ago. The paint still looked good when I upgraded the OEM brakes. they make a great product

Powdercoating, most companies use better powders now that flow at 400 degrees...hella safe for just about anything u need done.
Old 06-25-11, 05:27 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

This seems to come up a lot. Here's how to do it:

Old 02-23-14, 07:42 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

thanks for this write up!!
Old 02-24-14, 12:40 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BernieIS
Why would the seals go bad from the low temps that powder coating requires. I think they just run around 250deg to melt the powder. A track day will put way more heat into your calipers than the powder coating and doesn't damage anything. May be I am off in the temps required for the powder coating.