Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Who makes the best strut tower bars for the GS, front and rear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-02, 12:07 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who makes the best strut tower bars for the GS, front and rear?

I'm a newbie to suspension and handling modifications so I'm not even sure if there is much of a difference between these products.

Who makes the best front strut tower bar for the GS - Rod Millen Motorsports, TRD or Tom's Racing.

http://www.rodmillenstore.com/gs_400/brace.htm
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/html/partsordering-trd.html (scroll down to see the TRD strut tower bar)
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/html/par...400_GS430.html (scroll down to Toms front upper suspension tower brace)

And who makes the best rear strut tower bar - Cusco or Tom' Racing.

http://www.rodmillenstore.com/Greddy...20GS%20Bar.htm
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/html/par...400_GS430.html (scroll down to Tom's rear upper suspension tower brace)

If they are all more or less the same, then I'll just pick based on price.
Old 09-06-02, 12:24 PM
RacingAristo

They all work the same.
Old 09-06-02, 04:39 PM
Lvangundy

They do all work the same, but there quality differences. I've heard of some of the no name brands actually cracking/breaking and that's not good for parts that are moving.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 09-11-02 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-06-02, 05:29 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UGO or TOM'S for matching front/rear STB's...

If you're only going to do the front, the TRD one is good too.
Old 09-06-02, 05:32 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will add my personal experience, I had the UGO on order before, but waited quite a few months, and got tired of waiting, so picked up set of TOM's f+r. I wanted the UGO for looks only, not sure about quality..etc.

I even installed the f+r STB myself, rear was a bit painful, but not too bad, the front needs the car to be raised on the front end, and it slides right on. Overall, Tom's STB are SOLID metal f+r, and the car tightend up ALOT. I am actually thinknig about taking the front one off, cause the ride got a bit stiff for me. I can really slide the car around on all 4 wheels now cause the body is so tight.
Old 09-07-02, 12:30 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Thanks everybody I didn't notice the UGO front and rear on the l-tunedparts.com site. Here is a link.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/html/partsordering-ugo.html

I think I'm going to take manaray's advice and go with matching ones or just with the TRD one. The price of the pair of UGO's and Tom's are almost the same from l-tunedparts.com, $500 for the UGO's and $460 for the Tom's. I'll ask Steve G for his opinion of the 2 since I'm sure he's sold a lot of them.

The front doesn't look difficult to put on but how about the back? What do you have to do to get the rear one on?

By the way, does putting the strut bars on affect the warranty on my car in any way?

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 09-07-02 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-07-02, 03:31 AM
RacingAristo

Do a search on the installation guide on rear STB posted by Manaray and/or other member.

For front STB, you need to jack up your car.
Old 09-07-02, 08:27 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed that you have a GS300. Make sure you do all your research on fitment. Most front STBs will NOT fit a GS300 with the engine cover on. Even if one does work, there are spacers involved. I have a 98 GS300 (many years older than yours ). My model did not come with an engine cover. The only STB in my research that will fit my car w/o engine cover but w/o spacers is the UGO. I have not gotten the UGO ones because Steve is having a hard time getting them from Japan.

I have not looked into the RMM ones since I pretty much decided on the UGOs. It is just a waiting game for me now (about 7 months ).

Good luck.
Old 09-08-02, 02:14 AM
LexusL
Rookie

I have the UGOs in my gs300 and yeah it is ready easy to install and very strong, good product, real carbon fiber layer, felt the different right away.
Old 09-08-02, 03:53 AM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

I didn't have to raise my car when I installed my TRD Front Strut Bar....just took a little wiggling around.
Old 09-10-02, 06:52 PM
TRDGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the TRD front...that thing is huge...took a little while to get it to fit on the car with hood clearence...but that is only because I have a carbon fiber hood...everyone always asks about it also...for the rear I got the Cusco both work great...feel the difference right away...it is all what you prefer....

Kris
Old 09-10-02, 07:52 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Kris,

Did you have to add spacers to your front set up? Did you ever have the front STB on with the stock hood? I am curious because all accounts I have read about the TRD STB have indicated that the STB won't fit from the factory, as-is with a GS300. I'd be very interest in knowing that this STB will fit on a GS300 with or without the engine cover.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-02, 02:35 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info Neo, I'll definitely keep that in mind. This is a little bit of a longer term modification. I really want to get the cosmetic stuff done first but I really want my suspension and handling to be a little more tighter.
Old 11-11-02, 12:41 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone know which front upper STB will fit my 2001 GS300? I would like to keep the cover on.

I hear the TRD STB won't fit (from other CL members).....even though TRD says it'll fit.

Any other STB suggestions of the GS300?

Pete