Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LS Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 03:06 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default LS Brakes

Question about the LS brakes. I noticed alot of people here upgrade/change to the LS brakes, why? Isn't there aftermarket brakes for SC's available, like Wilwood? I'm looking to upgrade my brakes and I'm just wondering what's the best route to go.
Old 05-13-11, 03:17 AM
MidloSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you priced Big Brake Kits? You can do the the LS swap for around $300 depending on where you get the calipers from and what rotors you go with. An aftermarket BBK will set you back over a grand.
Old 05-13-11, 03:18 AM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best value.
Old 05-13-11, 03:19 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

a grand will most likely buy you one caliper
Old 05-13-11, 06:25 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^hah maybe an 8 piston brembo...

anyway you can get a full 13" 4 piston wilwood setup for the front for around $1200 including all hardware. And yes, that wilwood caliper is significantly stronger than the TT caliper (tested personally). However, for what MOST people need the LS400 setup is perfect and the extra $800+ for something bigger/stronger isn't worth it for a daily driven cruiser.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (03-22-17)
Old 05-13-11, 08:15 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS400
TT
Aftermarket

In that order of cost. The majority will never have to go beyond the LS4's.
Old 05-13-11, 08:33 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah the LS400 setup is by far the best bang for the buck especially for the daily driver,but if you've got the money and your going for wow and style points or you're actually going to need superman stopping power, then by all means spend! spend! spend! This is what I did to mine and i'm happy with the outcome.
Before:

And after:

Just my 2penny's worth.
Old 05-13-11, 09:24 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

its the cheapest and lightest of all OEM 4 piston options. Aftermarket BBK will set you back a few thousand. Downside is the pad selection is sparse. If you don't road race your car, LS4 option will suffice
Old 05-13-11, 09:46 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socal72
Yeah the LS400 setup is by far the best bang for the buck especially for the daily driver,but if you've got the money and your going for wow and style points or you're actually going to need superman stopping power, then by all means spend! spend! spend! This is what I did to mine and i'm happy with the outcome.
Before:

And after:

Just my 2penny's worth.
I've seen your thread about this and btw I love it so much that I'm jackin' your style once I decide what breaks to go with(although I'm doing the body color of my SC instead of black but still with the Lexus decal)

So basically it's more of the pricing that's why alot of you guys go for the LS brakes... Good to know, it is really gonna cost about a grand for the Wilwood I've already checked for the whole set! Thanks for the input guys!
Old 05-13-11, 09:48 AM
broda805
Lead Lap

polishing mines ... to look like...

Old 05-13-11, 03:25 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

BTW are the LS brakes any better than stock SC? Can you feel the difference? I mean, what's the point of changing if it's not better right?
Old 05-13-11, 03:39 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by kingphilip
BTW are the LS brakes any better than stock SC? Can you feel the difference? I mean, what's the point of changing if it's not better right?
Here's a good way to related it.

Bigger rotors:
You want to loosen a tough bolt. Try it with an 8" wrench and it's not working. Now swap that 8" for a 16" and watch it break with ease. This is the effect of a larger rotors- you have more torque on the wheel by increasing the radius of the force applied on the rotor

Larger calipers:
Now that that same 16" wrench. Take your index finger and push down as hard as you can on it- now try it with your whole hand. The larger surface area of your hand combined with the greater force will increase the torque on the bolt just in the same way a large caliper holding larger pistons with a great piston contact area and a higher fluid mass will increase the clamping force on the rotor. Of course just as you are limited to the strength of your arm, you are limited by the size of your master cylinder, but the increase in pistons contact area will absolutely make a difference
Old 05-15-11, 09:46 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kingphilip
I've seen your thread about this and btw I love it so much that I'm jackin' your style once I decide what breaks to go with(although I'm doing the body color of my SC instead of black but still with the Lexus decal)

So basically it's more of the pricing that's why alot of you guys go for the LS brakes... Good to know, it is really gonna cost about a grand for the Wilwood I've already checked for the whole set! Thanks for the input guys!
No problemo!
Old 05-15-11, 10:38 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Klaus
Here's a good way to related it.

Bigger rotors:
You want to loosen a tough bolt. Try it with an 8" wrench and it's not working. Now swap that 8" for a 16" and watch it break with ease. This is the effect of a larger rotors- you have more torque on the wheel by increasing the radius of the force applied on the rotor

Larger calipers:
Now that that same 16" wrench. Take your index finger and push down as hard as you can on it- now try it with your whole hand. The larger surface area of your hand combined with the greater force will increase the torque on the bolt just in the same way a large caliper holding larger pistons with a great piston contact area and a higher fluid mass will increase the clamping force on the rotor. Of course just as you are limited to the strength of your arm, you are limited by the size of your master cylinder, but the increase in pistons contact area will absolutely make a difference
That's funny that you put it that way, but interesting. But what I'm really concerned about is the breaking system that's already installed in the car, can it support a bigger break pads and rotors? I mean, if I do this change is there anything else I need to change or just the calipers and rotors?
Old 05-15-11, 11:02 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

might *** well get some stainless brake lines as well. makes it stiffer. and the original lines are probably starting to get worn.

Quick Reply: LS Brakes