Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

crackling sound when i ride the brakes?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 06:19 AM
hung8852
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crackling sound when i ride the brakes?!?

I searched all over the forum for this issue..but seems like no one have had it before. The problem occurs whenever I let the car roll at a low speed and ride my brakes. You start to hear crackling sound from the brake and you can actually somewhat feel it on the brake pedal. if you roll down the window, you can hear sound some sort of squeaking..like as if i didnt put enough wd-40 to a door when you open it. Its bothering me quite a bit since its getting worst and worst. anyone know what it is? Im planning on checking on the brakes this weekend. I just hope its nothing major.

Thanks !!! hopefully someone has an answer.
Old 04-16-11, 09:20 AM
son350
Rookie

I have this same issue, however I only experience this when my car is cold...after a few pumps on the brakes the sounds subsides...let me know if you find out a remedy
Old 04-16-11, 09:52 AM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its probably vibration from the pads to the shims.
Old 04-18-11, 01:02 PM
hung8852
Pole Position

yesterday, i jacked the car up and decided to see if i can fix the issue..I took the pads, everything seems to be normal, except the pin that holds the rods seem to be missing. that might have what did it..but im not sure, i re-greased the pads and cleaned out the parts.. put it back together. the sound seem to disappear and no longer feel any of the vibration. it might very well be vibration from the pads to the shims.

I want to order new pins from sewell..but they want 9 bucks for shipping for two 50cent pins!!
Old 04-19-11, 06:32 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hung8852
yesterday, i jacked the car up and decided to see if i can fix the issue..I took the pads, everything seems to be normal, except the pin that holds the rods seem to be missing. that might have what did it..but im not sure, i re-greased the pads and cleaned out the parts.. put it back together. the sound seem to disappear and no longer feel any of the vibration. it might very well be vibration from the pads to the shims.

I want to order new pins from sewell..but they want 9 bucks for shipping for two 50cent pins!!
Thanks for checking it out. I'm going to have to do the same. Mines been making a similar noise when brakeing.
Old 04-19-11, 06:48 AM
hung8852
Pole Position

yea, looks like i definitely need the pins. The sound is starting to come back again this morning on the way to work. I guess i'll just buy a couple of things from sewell..like spark plugs or something to eat up the shipping cost. no way im paying 9bucks shipping just for pins. haha, i guess thats how they get me to buy more stuff..
Old 04-19-11, 10:22 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hung8852
yea, looks like i definitely need the pins. The sound is starting to come back again this morning on the way to work. I guess i'll just buy a couple of things from sewell..like spark plugs or something to eat up the shipping cost. no way im paying 9bucks shipping just for pins. haha, i guess thats how they get me to buy more stuff..
did you check with your dealer to see if they had the pins in stock? Mind taking some pics so I know what to look for?
Old 04-19-11, 02:05 PM
hung8852
Pole Position

i ended up ordering from sewell anyway..since i needed some touchup paint. I'll take some pics this weekend. its basically the pin that holds the rod in place. i really hope tats the cause of the sound. otherwise, i have no idea whats wrong with my brakes.
Old 04-20-11, 02:35 PM
meangene
Lead Lap

Cool let me know how it goes. If I have time this weekend I'm going to check it out too. Good luck bro!
Old 04-25-11, 02:13 PM
hung8852
Pole Position

so on easter i placed the new rods in along with the pins. the sound is still there.. no luck, i thought it was the missing pin that triggered movement in the pads when i ride the brakes. nope..now im back to square one, not sure whats causing the crackling sound.
Old 04-27-11, 08:18 PM
meangene
Lead Lap

darn I was hoping you would have solved this before I attempted it I'm going to try to look at it next weekend. If I find anything I'll let you know. I took it to the dealership last month and they greased the area and it came back the next day.
Old 04-27-11, 09:11 PM
hung8852
Pole Position

yea i tried cleaning the calipers, regrease the shims.. nothing worked so far. it goes away for a few , but it comes back afterwards.

for the record, im using powerslot rotors and posi-quiet pads. are you using something different? ..

damn it gotta be something loose ..it doesnt do it when i hard brake or any other time..other then riding the brakes when i let the car roll. so frustrating!
Old 04-29-11, 01:13 PM
huch
Rookie

What are you using for grease? I have some what of a similar issue coming from the left wheel. Every time I brake, I get this clicking sound....it only happens when I brake and only when I'm going forward.

Some people use anti-seize (damn) paste while others use grease... I'm not sure which to use.

Also did you try greasing your slider pin?
Old 04-30-11, 05:32 PM
hung8852
Pole Position

nope, i ddint grease my slider pin..i dont think the slider pin is causing the sound though. Im using grease for my shims behind the pads, its brake grease by CFC from advance auto parts. This also only happens when Im riding my brakes under 20mph. At one point, i cleaned out my brakes, regreased it and put it back on, the noise stopped..but once it got warmed up, the crackling came back.

i saw these front shims..are these only for OEM brake pads? http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2006/1919.html
prety sure it doesnt fit aftermarkets.. could it be the shims? think i should just replace the front brakes with OEMs?

those with the same problems..are you guys using OEM pads?OEM rotors? or all aftermarket? As stated earlier, Im using powerslot slotted rotors and posi-quiet brakepads. everything was fine when i installed it about 6k miles ago. the sound started about 1 month ago, been trying to diagnose it ever since.

btw what is this brake fitting kit for?

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2006/1922.html

was that originally on the car ? i never seen it before.
Old 05-01-11, 12:48 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i have this same problem and i even heard my brakes squeak like a school bus does sometimes when it stops. i had a friend at work change my front brakes and rotors. he charged me $50 plus parts. he ordered them from auto zone for my 06 is30. dont know what kind and it look like he did everything correct. i dont want to complain to him being that he charged so low but what should i say to him about it?

Quick Reply: crackling sound when i ride the brakes?!?