Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport springs on F-Sport Package shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 02:54 PM
350FSport
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport springs on F-Sport Package shocks

I maybe, just might, be thinking about lowering my ride slightly, with F-Sport springs. I have the 2011 F-Sport package, which means I already have the "sport-tuned" suspension, NOT the standard suspension.

What changes would I notice if I put the F-Sport springs on? I know the F-Sports are not linear, whereas the F-Sport Package springs are linear. Whats the difference?

I am not going to "slam that shiz" on coils so please no suggestions on coils I owuld also plan to keep the current shocks I have. Not install F-Sport shocks.
Old 04-13-11, 02:26 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 53 Posts

better handling, stiffer ride, less body roll? a stiffer suspension overall to be blunt
Old 04-13-11, 03:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Phresh2010
better handling, stiffer ride, less body roll? a stiffer suspension overall to be blunt
I don't know there's any evidence to support any of that though.

He already has the sport package springs.

Which are actually stiffer in the lower-load range than the F-sports. (and they're linear, so they're more predictable than the F-sports)

Further, lower isn't always better, especially if you're not changing anything else in the suspension geometry.

I'd love to actually see someone do proper track testing on the OEM sport suspension versus the F-sport springs/shock combo.
Old 04-14-11, 05:43 AM
350FSport
Driver

Hey Kurtz, so I take it the difference would be that I would get more bounce or "float"? I definitely noticed the stiffer ride as compared to the standard suspension setup when I test drove both cars, so I am used to it being a bit stiffer, but I don't want to go any more in that direction.. I guess if the stiffness was about equal, then I would just need to decide whether I want the 1 inch drop compared to the float. Also my concern is the shocks, I would think you want shocks which have been matched to your springs, so I wonder if there would be a problem there.

To be honest, the springs are pretty cheap. I might just try it out, and if I don't like it, sell them here on CL at a discount.
Old 04-14-11, 10:54 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 350FSport
I definitely noticed the stiffer ride as compared to the standard suspension setup when I test drove both cars, so I am used to it being a bit stiffer, but I don't want to go any more in that direction.
I felt the same way about my 2011 F-sport IS. I was wondering if it was just me.
Old 04-14-11, 11:24 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 350FSport
Hey Kurtz, so I take it the difference would be that I would get more bounce or "float"? I definitely noticed the stiffer ride as compared to the standard suspension setup when I test drove both cars, so I am used to it being a bit stiffer, but I don't want to go any more in that direction.. I guess if the stiffness was about equal, then I would just need to decide whether I want the 1 inch drop compared to the float. Also my concern is the shocks, I would think you want shocks which have been matched to your springs, so I wonder if there would be a problem there.

To be honest, the springs are pretty cheap. I might just try it out, and if I don't like it, sell them here on CL at a discount.
Yup, that's pretty much it... as to shocks though-

Thing is, it's impossible to really "match" shocks to progressive springs, because the springs don't have a fixed rate. It's one of the negatives of progressive springs, and part of why on a track you want linear springs.

I've no doubt the F-sport shocks would be better than the stock ones for working with the F-sport springs though.
Old 04-15-11, 08:36 AM
binhster
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Buddy has a 2006 IS250 AWD with F-Sport Springs on stock shocks. The OEM shocks are NOT adequate shocks to pair with F-Sport Springs. I doubt the RWD dampers are suitable either considering 3 out of my 4 were leaking badly when I removed the stock IS350 suspension for my BC Coils at 29,000 miles last week.

Between F-Sports on stock shocks on buddy's AWD vs BC Coilovers (10kg/8kg) on my IS350, the difference is night and day. The AWD on F-Sport springs bottoms out in the front very easily - especially since the shocks in front have less travel than the RWD. In addition, the ride is bouncy because the OEM dampers are unable to handle the higher spring rates as they progressively increase on bigger bumps.

F-Sport springs go between 4.5-7kg roughly; however, the ride quality is bouncy unless you get the F-Sport Bilstein shocks which my brother in law had on his F-Sport Spring/Shock GS350. Using both F-Sport Springs/Shocks - the ride quality should be relatively good and firm under full compression. The BC Coilovers at 10kg/8kg does not feel that stiff at all for me personally. It's actually perfect for the rough roads of Seattle. In fact, the spring rates feel softer than my '05 TL with OEM A-Spec sport tuned suspension I installed on there.

If my IS had the sport suspension, I'd probably not consider F-Sport springs and simply get the F-Sport rear sway bar which helps alleviate much of the understeer. If I was trying to go lower, I'd look into aftermarket coilovers or linear lowering springs with F-Sport Shocks.
Old 04-06-15, 08:59 AM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for the thread-necro, but I'm wondering if anyone has had an update on this in four years. I'm thinking of doing the same thing (have a 2013 FSport Package suspension). Are the FSport package shocks any better than the OEM shocks at handling the FSport springs? I just want the car to sit a smidge lower than it currently does to reduce the wheel gap.
Old 04-06-15, 10:59 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

The 350 I just brought has the fsport lowering springs and Fsport shocks. Lucky me. Car handles like a dream. It's forgiving and sure footed. Car does not bounce more the once. Body roll is very controlled braking is very controlled car feels wonderful on a whole. When you hit a big dipped it's one smooth up and down no side to side very stable.
Old 04-06-15, 06:00 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by svelt
Sorry for the thread-necro, but I'm wondering if anyone has had an update on this in four years. I'm thinking of doing the same thing (have a 2013 FSport Package suspension). Are the FSport package shocks any better than the OEM shocks at handling the FSport springs? I just want the car to sit a smidge lower than it currently does to reduce the wheel gap.
FSport Bilstein shocks pairing with FSport lowering springs is a perfect combo.

I and redspencer both run this combo on our IS350 on autocross and love its handling.
Old 04-06-15, 10:26 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
FSport Bilstein shocks pairing with FSport lowering springs is a perfect combo.

I and redspencer both run this combo on our IS350 on autocross and love its handling.
How about the manufacturer's FSport Package shocks though? Think they can handle the FSport springs? I took at look at your build threads and it appears one of your rides has the FSport package as well with its "sport tuned suspension". I don't want to spend money on shocks just yet, particularly considering that I spent a little more on choosing an FSport package already. But I want to close the wheel gap a bit with the FSport springs if that makes any sense.
Old 04-07-15, 09:38 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by svelt
How about the manufacturer's FSport Package shocks though? Think they can handle the FSport springs? I took at look at your build threads and it appears one of your rides has the FSport package as well with its "sport tuned suspension". I don't want to spend money on shocks just yet, particularly considering that I spent a little more on choosing an FSport package already. But I want to close the wheel gap a bit with the FSport springs if that makes any sense.
I have tested various suspension on both of my cars and I'll share my experience with them as follow:

1. FSport package (with the linear springs): This is what I had when I bought my IS250 brand new just like you did. I can tell you that the handling is a lot better than stock. 3 fingers gap wheel gap front and looks like stock.

2. FSport springs and shocks (FSport accessories, NOT package): This is what I am using on my IS350. This combo works extremely well. Handle like a champ on autocross and still very comfortable on street. I would even say that it is MORE comfortable than the FSport package in actual experience even though the numbers on paper look stiffer than FSport package. The wheels gap is minimized to 1.5 fingers and look acceptable to me.

3. Eibach pro kit lower springs + sport shock (from FSport package): Handle is improved but ride quality suffers. On bumpy road, it is harsher than all other combos. I speculate that the lower spring rate is too stiff for the shocks to handle so they mismatch. This gives 1 finger front and 0.5 finger rear. The look is perfect for me on this one.

4. I finally tested BCR Coilovers: IMO, this handles the best and you can control the ride quality. With some adjustment, it rides almost like stock. Ride quality is better than (1) and (3) but similar to (2). Lowering is all adjustable so I can lower to any amount I want. However, the more you lower, the stiffer you have to set the dampening so that it doesn't bottom out. I lower about the same height like I had in combo (3).

I find Fsport springs + shocks work extremely well together. I would recommend getting it. It handles well and ride quality is top notch. Also, Bilstein FSport shocks are known to last a very, very long time. My FSport shocks have 65k miles on it, went through multiple autocrosses/tracks and still going strong.
Old 04-08-15, 07:59 PM
naveda08
Driver School Candidate

Default F-Sport Shock not available

The F-sport shocks are not available anymore and i am also looking for something to compliment my F-sport springs i got back in Oct 2014(still sitting in the box they came in). Looks like the stop sale is sticking so I dont know what to get to match the springs
Old 10-25-20, 06:22 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

Interested in knowing if 2008 IS 350 with the ST - Sport Package(Includes: Sport Suspension w/ Lower Ride Height ), is just different struts & springs installed compared to the base IS 350 without the Sport package. Interested in installing Sport suspension on base model and wanted to confirm if I would encounter any issues with doing so, and what other parts should be considered from Sport Tuned Suspension required, to have installed on base IS 350. Unsure where read however, believe vehicles with X Package / Sports package, Sport suspension, lowered vehicle vehicle 0.4 inches front, and the same rear height was same as base. Is that correct?
Old 12-10-20, 09:51 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Yup, that's pretty much it... as to shocks though-

Thing is, it's impossible to really "match" shocks to progressive springs, because the springs don't have a fixed rate. It's one of the negatives of progressive springs, and part of why on a track you want linear springs.

I've no doubt the F-sport shocks would be better than the stock ones for working with the F-sport springs though.
Kurtz,

Interested in installing OEM shocks / springs from the (ST) Sport package with sport suspension. Was going to install just the shocks from the Sport tuned suspension package with Tein S.Tech SKL90-AUB00. With regard to you mentioning liner vs progressive springs, are the Tien S Tech springs considered a progressive spring? I may just install the OEM sport tuned shocks & springs for more balanced performance / ride.

Quick Reply: F-Sport springs on F-Sport Package shocks