Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help me define .

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-11, 10:02 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help me define .

After reading a ton of "clunk" threads, I'm not sure my GS430 is clunking so much as making metallic clinking noises. I can't help but wonder if we're talking about the same thing or not.

Driving down the road on irregular surfaces, my front right suspension makes tht clucking / metallic clinking noise. It goes away / stops if I'm breaking. Regardless of the amount of pressure I put on the brake pedal, the noise goes away entirely. No noises when turning or taking speed bumps slowly. My car has 94k miles.

I've swapped all four struts without success. Front brakes were recently replaced at the stealership, so I'd be surprised if the clips or shims weren't used.

Thanks

(sorry for the crap post title .... I can't seem to edit it)

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 03-27-11 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-27-11, 10:36 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I had the same exact problem. Even after changing brand new shocks/struts still makes the noise. After installing coilovers, it was gone.
Old 03-28-11, 09:11 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Guess it might be the oem springs? But, why does it go away with even the slightest pressure on the brakes?! I'm thinking it has to be brake-related.
Old 03-28-11, 12:20 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this is the same issue, but my car makes a metallic rattling sound when I go over bumps in the road. It sounds like it is coming from the front but I'm not sure what it is. I am going to replace the Lower Control Arms (or at least the bushings), Tie Rods, and the Caster Arms this Summer and I'm hoping it was go away along with this annoying squeak I get over every tiny little dip in the road.
Old 03-28-11, 05:43 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

So, am I describing the much-discussed "clunk" or something else?

Thanks for the info so far.
Old 03-28-11, 08:25 PM
RoboRam12
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A clunk would be metal on metal. One of your springs could be not set properly in the strut which could be the cause, or something could be contacting the upper or lower control arms.

The common misconception with the clunk is ball joints, but those click or tick when they are going bad.

The source of the clunk could be a number of things, and your best bet might be to get a wireless chassis ear. Hook it up to a few front suspension pieces and take the car out to see if you can narrow down the problem area.
Old 03-28-11, 08:48 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

check your stabilizer bar linkages
Old 03-28-11, 09:19 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

let me preface, I am not a Lexus owner (yet) and don't think i ever dealt with it's brake system, but...
What you are describing sounds like a typical "dragging caliper". But only if you hear the noise regardless of the surface you are on. You've said that you can hear it over uneven road, what about smooth one with window down and next to a wall or line of parked cars? The reasons for dragging (if that's what this is) could be few but non the less, when your caliper is only partially releasing the pressure from the brake pad, it - the brake pad is still in contact with the rotor. When rotor is rotating it constantly dragging the pad with it and compressing the spring or whatever is there on these cars that suppose to keep the pad suspended between caliper's brackets. When this happens you hear the noise but only until you apply even the slightest amount of brake pressure. Sometimes this noise is accompanied but somewhat louder clunk at the moment you apply the pressure because at this moment the pad "found" it's place and compressed the spring even further. I doubt it anything serious, but more of annoyance.
Go back to the staelership and ask them to check for dragging caliper(s), if they say yes it's dragging, ask them whayt they have not told you when they did the brakes and make them fix it for free
If they refuse, make them refund your brake job and go to indi
Old 03-29-11, 03:02 PM
DREGS3
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have a clunk noise from my left front wheel while making right turns.
Old 07-24-11, 11:34 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Just wanted to close out this thread ... I solved my clunk, which was coming from the brakes and not really the suspension.

Full info can be found here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ver-bumps.html