Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Opinion on Cross Drill/Slotted Rotors.

Old 08-23-02, 09:15 PM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Opinion on Cross Drill/Slotted Rotors.

Did anyone buy his or her cross drill/slotted rotors form Steve? What is your opinion on them? I am very interested and I need your advice.
Old 08-23-02, 10:02 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well here is my 2cents....... i believe that they are an incredible value for the money. they are not 4 piston brakes, so they dont have unworldly stopping power, but they are an increase over our already excellent stock brakes. a downside would be that they are somewhat noisy. i get a swirling/swoosh sound on light braking and a little bit of a roar when the application is more pronounced. you can feel a little bit of a tick in the back, but someone pointed out that it should leave after about 1000 miles, which i am approaching. they are not as smooth as the stock vented rotors, but like i said the performance is better. and of course they look cool as *****

Doc
Old 08-24-02, 12:04 AM
roenick7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have "Power-Stop" cross drilled only rotors w/ trd pads. First 200 miles or so they got alot of brake pad excess all over them and vibrated a little. All gone after 200 miles or so and wow what a diff! Braided lines from steve along with the pads. Got the rotors online, looked up power stop.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-02, 10:50 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

roenick7 & DrRick thank you very much on your feedback. Looks on these rotor are great. From your experience does it reduces brake fade and increase braking performance?
Old 08-24-02, 11:05 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

I've never known a cross drilled or slotted rotor to enhance braking at all on a street car. It is really just for looks. I just use solid rotors myself. Plus the pads last longer with a solid rotor.
Old 08-25-02, 12:42 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my 2 cents on this. I was a bit concerned about getting both cross drilled and slotted rotors. You lose about 20% surface area on the drilled rotors and they have a tendency to warp easier.
I went with the EBC pads and TRD slotted rotors "stock size" and SS lines.
My braking has become slightly more responsive. Really responsive on hard braking. Also the noise is still there especially during light braking.

If I had too do it all again. I would just get the EBC brake pads and keep my stock rotors. I am neutral on the SS brake lines.
You really need the SS brake lines if you are running a 4 or 6 piston setup or big brake upgrade. You should be running motul 5 or pure liquid silicone to get the real advantage of SS brake lines.

Would I do it again??? probably not... I should of put the money toward a PI TC.
Old 08-25-02, 12:16 PM
LexFather

Dude, I love em. IMO, stopping distance is the same, brakes feel solid and I have notices less fade then the stock (pads help too). But no HUGE difference. Remember STOCK, the GS has one of the shortest stopping differences period! So it is a looks thing, which is well worth it IMO.
Old 08-26-02, 12:56 AM
roenick7
Driver

The slotted or drilled rotors will keep the temperatures down under hard braking because they cool down more rapidly. I don't hear anything with my set up and breaking is more responsive. You will go through pads faster, however with speed mods you will need to have the breaks to stop 4000 lbs consistantly. (GS stock breaks are very good other mods such as TC, Sway bars, intake, exhaust, upper strut, should be first. and shocks springs.......
Old 08-26-02, 10:41 AM
Lvangundy

I have front cross drilled on my 90 LS400. I don't think I'd recommend buying these unless you are looking for that 'sport look' or are track racing.

They yield considerably more brake noise and eat pads faster than a flat stock rotor. Also, (a good point which was broght up before on CL) there is less total suface area for a brake pad to grip compared to a flat stock rotor. All those holes reduce total area. There is even less area on a slotted and cross drilled rotor.

I have flat OEM rotors on the back and they feel more solid than the front cross drilled do.
Old 08-26-02, 11:37 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

-Having this set-up for several weeks now...I have to say it is a slight performance increase over stock. The main improvement is pedal feel...with the SS lines the pedal sensitivity is where is should be! Brake fade is gone...and yes, I did fade my stock set-up going down some twisties in the mountains. All in all, it's 80% looks...and 20% performance gains.

To echoe what 1SICKLEX said...the stock set-up has one of the shortest stopping distances, eats Cobra-R's, Camaro's and is within a few feet of the mighty Carrera!!! So get it mainly for looks or improved pedal feel.

Peace
Old 08-26-02, 05:11 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone know the numbers for the braking distance? I know that the GS has good brakes but I didn't know that it was better then all those cars, or could compete in the braking distance with them, I do remember reading somewhere that one of the test drivers who tested the LS430 said that there is no way this car should stop he way it stops, He said the brakes were very good..

As far as cooling down, why would the GS's brakes not cool down fast enough when we have the little air scoops that rush air past the brakes to cool them down no matter what when ur driving, I haven't seen any other car with that yet, So even with slotted or drilled brakes I dont think they would be able to cool down that much faster then they already do.

ShOwGS