Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Some advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-11, 02:12 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some advice please

I'm about to order daizen bushings and was wondering what you guys think about changing out lbj's while im at it. i have a 2002 gs430 with 72kmiles. Car drives straight and no wobbles. But makes a loud almost popping sound when I break in forward or reverse. I took it to a friend who has a front end shop and he said my lca bushings were completely shot. So I'm just going to get the daizens. (and no its not the shifting calipers, this pop just started happening on my left front side after slamming into a giant pothole on sunday, which also cracked my wheel) the mechanic also said everything else looks fine, including the lbj's but I know how bad the lbj's are in this car. Should I get them now? or hope for figs to release some soon?
Also should I order the sway bar bushings and steering rack bushing while i'm at it?

thanks

Last edited by LALEX1; 03-03-11 at 02:15 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-03-11, 02:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Put your car on a set of jack stands. Lift the wheel assembly upwards and see if there is any play. If there is, even the slightest, then replace the ball joints.

I've noticed that a lot of mechanics say the lower ball joints are still good, but when I check them out, there is some play. It's even more obvious once you take off the lbj and use your hand to pull the joint.
Old 03-03-11, 02:47 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the popping, check the ball-joints in your front upper control arms. Mine looks normal but made the same annoying popping noise until I replaced both of the upper control arms. As for the lower ball-joints, I would change it out since you're already taking the it all apart already. It sure is cheaper than repainting fenders and replacing ABS sensor when it goes. The lower ball-joints are cheap anyway. If you have the means then you should replace all those bushings that you've mentioned, It'll make your car feels like a new car again.