Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

A Gixxer-Drew suspension abridged writeup with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-13, 06:00 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mattjk
it's double wishbone, why do you need top hats with camber adjustment? that only works with , Macpherson struts.
that's all i needed to know. thank you.
Old 04-26-13, 06:37 PM
jdmstar69
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattjk
it's double wishbone, why do you need top hats with camber adjustment? that only works with , Macpherson struts.
Ive been told The top hats with the "camber adjustment" can be flipped to get a bit of caster adjustment.
Old 04-27-13, 08:19 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmstar69
Ive been told The top hats with the "camber adjustment" can be flipped to get a bit of caster adjustment.
I don't think even that's true saddly.

The only way to get more caster would be via the upper or lower control arms.
Old 09-28-16, 12:18 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Because TXMAG was asking about how the Gixxer_Drew suspension rides in terms of height with the lengthened Bilstein AK1242 and AK1243 shocks that have been in circulation (and which I have had in my car since installing this setup in 2011) I'm putting up a few pictures to show where I'm at.

Please forgive the dirty appearance of the car-- no time to wash it this week And the shots were at dusk from my camera phone so there is plenty of noise in these.

Please note again that the suspension CAN go a bit lower but I didn't take it lower the last time everything was adjusted because I noticed the lack of preload issue in the rear when the suspension was raised up until I took it about this high. Later on I learned about Bilstein having changed the AK1242 and AK1243 shock lengths and the need for the helper springs and perches listed in the Gixxer thread (originally intended for very stiff race spring rates but now for nearly all spring rates).

That said, the handling isn't affected negatively with the ride height at this setting. I have the correct type "helper" springs and perches for the rear on standby (and a set of Hypercoil 500/250 springs). When I get around to installing those helpers and the 500/250's I will probably try to take about 1" out of the height you see here. MAYBE 1.5". I'm personally not unhappy with how the car rides as it is so I'm not worried about making it drastically lower than you see here. It looks like what might be a showroom stock ride height to me and given that it makes the car handle very well as-is I will not change it that much. All said I'm probably being conservative with my adjustments but I'm not very bothered about the height.

I've been extremely lazy about changing anything with it since I last made major changes in 2011 :P

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-28-16 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-28-16, 03:36 AM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for posting these up Craig. I've been trading a few emails with one of the guys at Bilstein about what it would take to actually cut down the shock and rod a bit so a more aggressive drop can be achieved without having to sacrifice shock travel. Obviously suspension geometry will be affected a bit but not enough for me to worry about as a true DD. If I can make everything happen for <$1500 I think I'll pull the trigger as nothing in that price range is going to be as nice.
Old 09-28-16, 04:25 AM
KahnBB6

^^ No problem. Glad to help.

I will be interested to hear what the Bilstein engineers have to ultimately say about your request. I also think you should post the results of that correspondence in the main SF Gixxer_Drew thread.

If you lower quite a bit then yes, you will affect the suspension geometry. To deal with this I think aftermarket adjustable camber plates front and rear and probably some of the adjustable control arms and such from a company like Figs Engineering might be in order. That's getting outside the scope of what I know how to calibrate personally but those additional changes are probably needed to get everything perfect again with an extremely low ride height. Still, I'd be concerned about the limited range of suspension travel when getting really low... but then again I know people lower their cars aggressively all the time with success.

The prices have changed a bit since 2011 but I recall getting all the parts needed for my Gixxer setup for around $1100-$1200 at the time. The installation required a couple of specialty tool rentals from Autozone (spring compressor kit mainly), some extra socket and wrench purchases, plenty of PB Blaster penetrating spray and the use of my own impact gun and air compressor. Cutting the coilover sleeves was not difficult. Measure several times to be totally sure and cut once.

I also felt it was the best bang for the buck I was going to find south of a $2k+ coilover system. Given how it keeps going years on, I still think it is.
Old 10-04-16, 08:41 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm going to post my personal opinion here about the Gixxer and people can take it or leave it. When I bought my sons 1999 SC400 it had the Gixxer setup on it and it handled and rode "okay". Over heavy bumps the car was bouncy and I didn't care for that at all. Finally one of the front shocks let go and I had to make a decision on what to do. I decided to replace with Tein adjustable coil overs ($600.00) instead of repairing his existing Gixxer set up. All I can say is it was the best decision I ever made. He was thrilled with the car once we got it back and I can say even on the firmer setting car rides almost like stock. Of course being able to lower the car more made a huge difference on how it looks also. Again, this is just my review with my opinion.

Shane
Old 10-04-16, 07:04 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by SSmith
I'm going to post my personal opinion here about the Gixxer and people can take it or leave it. When I bought my sons 1999 SC400 it had the Gixxer setup on it and it handled and rode "okay". Over heavy bumps the car was bouncy and I didn't care for that at all. Finally one of the front shocks let go and I had to make a decision on what to do. I decided to replace with Tein adjustable coil overs ($600.00) instead of repairing his existing Gixxer set up. All I can say is it was the best decision I ever made. He was thrilled with the car once we got it back and I can say even on the firmer setting car rides almost like stock. Of course being able to lower the car more made a huge difference on how it looks also. Again, this is just my review with my opinion.

Shane
Shane,

Do you happen to know what spring rates the car's Gixxer suspension came with? That makes a difference in terms of the ride quality. The reason it is more uncomfortable in the high spring rate versions is that those Hypercoil springs are linear-rate rather than progressive-rate. The 500/250 linear-rate Hypercoil springs split the difference somewhat. The alternative mentioned in the main SF Gixxer thread is often OEM Supra TT springs (which are progressive rate) rather than Hypercoils.

The tradeoff that those linear rate springs give is a more predictable feel of the road. It is, after all, intended as a semi-track suspension that can and does perform in daily use if you go with the lower rates. The Bilstein AK1242 and AK1243 shocks are really the main centerpiece of the setup because they are quite good in stock form and can even be re-valved or rebuilt by Bilstein if someone so desires. They are 99% the same as the official TRD Bilstein shocks sold by Toyota dealers and TRD Japan/USA for MKIV Supras many years ago, with the exception of the slight length change to the design in the last few years.

I've been looking at Teins for a long time, particularly the Flex models with the EDFC in-car controller some years ago. The model types have changed now. Which specific Tein coilover setup did you go with? Not all are made alike or perform alike and not all Tein models are even made at the main factory in Japan. If it was the Tein Basic kit that you bought that is a very good budget suspension and they were indeed designed with lowering ability as a big priority but it's not designed to do what the overall Gixxer setup will do in a track setting.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-04-16 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 09:12 AM
SSmith
Instructor

I bought Tein Street Advance for the sons car. They have 16 different adjustment. They are the new replacements for the Tein Flex which is what I have on my car with the EDFC. The EDFC is nice but I don't usually adjust it very much. I keep them at about a medium setting. The new Teins ride really good and I'd use them on mine.

Link removed

Shane

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-05-16 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Sorry, no outside links
Old 10-05-16, 03:34 PM
KahnBB6

I'll have to look into the Street Advance model. I'd like to see how it does in a track setting. Do you take your car onto any winding technical roads in your area? Having driven through a lot of Texas I know much of it is flat and straight but I'm just curious. That or have you taken it to a technical racetrack? I'm always interested to hear how different suspension setups fare on technical roads.

I'm surprised the EDFC isn't more useful to you though. That's one feature I wouldn't mind having. That or an aftermarket version of GM's Magnetic Ride Control.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-05-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-06-16, 09:28 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Kahn,

My car has just about every suspension component that can be installed along with new upper and lower control arms. On the firmest setting it handles like a go cart. You can push the car a hard as you want and always feel in control. I prefer not to keep it in that setting most of the time and I usually keep it toward the softer side. Even then the car handles awesome without any issues. I am running 19x10 wheels up front and 19x11 rear with a lot of tire so that helps a bunch.

Shane
Old 10-07-16, 07:34 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmith
I'm going to post my personal opinion here about the Gixxer and people can take it or leave it. When I bought my sons 1999 SC400 it had the Gixxer setup on it and it handled and rode "okay". Over heavy bumps the car was bouncy and I didn't care for that at all.
Do you know how many miles were on your Gixxer setup before you bought your son's car? It could be that the suspension was already past its optimal performance life when you received it.

I'll be looking into getting some tein street advance coilovers, so my car doesn't have to sit on jack stands. Do the tein coilovers use the oem top hats? From the pictures online it doesn't look like it is included.
Old 10-12-16, 03:10 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Yes. Does use the OEM top hats.

Shane