Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Aftermarket Brake Rotor Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 07:35 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Aftermarket Brake Rotor Options

I know this subject has been beaten somewhat to death, but after an exhaustive search I still couldn't find the answers I was looking for - I'm wondering what companies make direct replacement rotors (specifically drilled and/or slotted) for the stock IS250/IS350 brake system, and which brands are "best" (or at least which ones to avoid).

Here's the list of available options I've come up with after searching:

Drilled/Slotted Rotor Replacements:
StopTech (PowerSlot [Slotted] & SportStop [Drilled] brands - a subsidiary of Centric)
R1 Concepts (3rd party company that cuts & coats Centric blanks)
EBC
Rotora
DBA
Quick Stop Pro

OEM/Blank Rotor Replacements:
Centric (seems to be recommended most often)
Lexus OEM
88rotors
StopTech
Brembo

Thoughts?

Last edited by brociouz; 06-15-11 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-14-11, 08:00 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice list. I just bought a set of front Rotora slotted rotors and pads. They are a cheap alternative to oem rotors. Added in G2 blue paint and MotoGfx white Lexus IS350 decals=nice! Lol pics soon
Old 02-15-11, 06:23 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's primarily a show car with very little real use get drilled, otherwise it's inferior to every other choice.

If it's entirely a street car then get blanks, they're superior to every other choice.

if it's a car that will see track use in additional to street use then consider slotted- they do offer some advantages on a track, though none on the street, and have the drawback of eating pads about 25% faster than blanks.
Old 02-15-11, 09:19 AM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Centric manufactures both PowerSlot and StopTech. My used drilled/slotted StopTech rotors (claimed by the seller with receipt) came with Centric boxes.
Old 02-15-11, 10:39 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by Kurtz
If it's primarily a show car with very little real use get drilled, otherwise it's inferior to every other choice.

If it's entirely a street car then get blanks, they're superior to every other choice.

if it's a car that will see track use in additional to street use then consider slotted- they do offer some advantages on a track, though none on the street, and have the drawback of eating pads about 25% faster than blanks.
Absolutely, this thread is for people who want cooler looking rotors at the expensive of function.

Originally Posted by quang
I think Centric manufactures both PowerSlot and StopTech. My used drilled/slotted StopTech rotors (claimed by the seller with receipt) came with Centric boxes.
I believe that's true. Do you know if those drilled/slotted StopTech rotors are still being sold? Seems that they only have slotted OR drilled now.
Old 02-25-11, 11:27 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

BUMP! 10 char
Old 03-04-11, 01:26 AM
Lexus@17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know as well! I just want to switch out my oem for some slotted/drill rotars. my car is a show car soo i want the brake system looking good. What kind of rotar fits? i dont really have a clue about brake system. Bc i see these 8 pot 6 pot im just like uhhh would this fit for my is350 o.O?
Old 03-04-11, 03:00 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of Raybestos "advanced technology" rotors recently, have not put them on yet though. The quality looks really good, the center & rotor vents are painted black. I was mostly surprised at how much rotors actually weigh (heavy).
Old 03-04-11, 04:44 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with Stoptech Power Slot rotors all around...slotted because the car will see some track time, but not a full track car...stayed away from drilled because Kurtz scared the $&@! out of me...lol
Old 03-04-11, 03:08 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

I think any of those listed are gonna be almost identical in performance. I think you would be wasting money buying the most expensive rotor compared to the cheapest one. I doubt any difference would be a noticeable improvement.
Old 06-15-11, 10:45 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Added Quick Stop Pro, which is available at quickstoppro.com and on eBay.
Old 06-15-11, 11:48 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
I'm wondering what companies make direct replacement rotors (specifically drilled and/or slotted) for the stock IS250/IS350 brake system, and which brands are "best" (or at least which ones to avoid).
^^This please! Anyone?
Old 06-15-11, 11:56 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ I've been reading that R1 concepts is the best bang for the buck. They take Centric blanks (very high quality) and then machine them to look pretty. They also coat them so they don't rust. All the complaints I've seen about R1 concepts were about rusting, but that issue seems to have been fixed.
Old 06-15-11, 01:19 PM
TrymyIS
Driver School Candidate

I put a set of R1 Concepts drilled and slotted rotors on my car with EBC green pads. They worked great at first (these were put on July,2010), however from what I've been told the pads were not hard enough to scrub the rotor clear so I ended up with the picture attached. Needless to say I'm looking for some new rotors myself and I'll probably go with the Power Slots.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Brake Rotor Options-photo.jpg  

Last edited by TrymyIS; 06-15-11 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-15-11, 01:31 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ Yikes, that looks like hell.

I'm confused, what do your R1 rotors have to do with the pad not being hard enough? Shouldn't you just change your pads out? And did you get the E-Line (base model) or premium version?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Brake Rotor Options