Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Aftermarket Brake Rotor Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 01:40 PM
TrymyIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
^ Yikes, that looks like hell.

I'm confused, what do your R1 rotors have to do with the pad not being hard enough? Shouldn't you just change your pads out? And did you get the E-Line (base model) or premium version?
That was the premium version. As far as the pad goes, their not hard enough to scrub the rotor surface face clean from build up. I drive the car all the time, so I'm a little confused myself. Either way, I chose the EBC green's because they were organic, so they won't dust like semi's and not as hard as ceramics. Needless to say, I need to do all four rotors and pads, so time to drop another 500 down the drain, good thing I do the labor myself.
Old 06-15-11, 01:47 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TrymyIS
That was the premium version. As far as the pad goes, their not hard enough to scrub the rotor surface face clean from build up. I drive the car all the time, so I'm a little confused myself. Either way, I chose the EBC green's because they were organic, so they won't dust like semi's and not as hard as ceramics. Needless to say, I need to do all four rotors and pads, so time to drop another 500 down the drain, good thing I do the labor myself.
Any idea what rotors/pads you'll go with this time around?
Old 06-15-11, 03:19 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brociouz i dont know if u seen these pics in the other thread but here are my quickstop rotors now after a few months with oem low dust pads
before i painted them

after i painted them, no rust spots

also if u decide to get them make sure you sumbit your best offer first rather then buy right away...they accepted mine for like $250 or $260 if im not mistaken which came out to be like $330 shipped for all 4....
Old 06-15-11, 04:02 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

^ I did see those pictures, and it looks awesome, but I kinda like the two rows of drilled holes followed by one slotted line.
Old 06-15-11, 04:18 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

^ I've been reading that R1 concepts is the best bang for the buck. They take Centric blanks (very high quality) and then machine them to look pretty. They also coat them so they don't rust. All the complaints I've seen about R1 concepts were about rusting, but that issue seems to have been fixed.
Hmm...I'll look into them. Thanks!

Originally Posted by MashinA
brociouz i dont know if u seen these pics in the other thread but here are my quickstop rotors now after a few months with oem low dust pads
Those do look pretty good!

^ I did see those pictures, and it looks awesome, but I kinda like the two rows of drilled holes followed by one slotted line.
Like this?

Hmmm...maybe I need to upgrade the brake kit first.
Old 06-15-11, 05:56 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

^ Yes, exactly that. R1 Concepts Premium drilled/slotted rotors. I actually already have drilled/slotted rotors from StopTech (picture below), but it's only for the front and I can't find a matching set for the rear. Soooo, OCD dictates that I must buy 4 new ones.

Old 06-15-11, 09:02 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

here mine R1 concept premium rotor D/S
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Brake Rotor Options-img_0126.jpg  
Old 06-15-11, 09:53 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

As far as I'm concerned, R1 is about the worst of the bunch. Started within the last three - five years, and marketed to ebay shoppers that buy on bling factor only.
Highly doubt you will ever see them on a track car, and never on anything remotely exotic. I laugh reading their early ads for the "Exclusive Diamond cut slots" (basically cutting dangerous "V" shaped channels for slots rather than the preferred "U" shaped channels.) If you understand metallurgy and focused stress points, your laughing with me.
This is one company that I recommend my friends all stay clear of.

I was a PowerSlot fan for years, investing in the slotted Cryos as my cheap rotor of choice. Power Slot was their own entity, and they ran their own foundry's for quality control. I spoke to one of their metallurgical engineers years ago looking for the exact carbon content and Rockwell hardness specs and got fast accurate answers.
StopTech purchased PowerSlot (and AEM) gaining its own foundries and cryogenic facilities.
Not sure when Centric picked up the group or if it was already the parent of StopTech?

2 cents from an old mans memory...
V

Last edited by CleverName; 06-15-11 at 09:55 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
GS2NVee (03-04-17)
Old 06-15-11, 10:04 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by my1s250
here mine R1 concept premium rotor D/S
Looks great! Any problems with rusting or bad finish on the rotors? How long have you had them?
Old 06-16-11, 09:01 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CleverName
I was a PowerSlot fan for years, investing in the slotted Cryos as my cheap rotor of choice.
I was thinking about these as my next set as well. Is the primium on the Cryo rotors worth it? On the street I drive relatively mellow but do a few track days a year. The stockers are just about toast.
Old 06-16-11, 09:11 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CleverName
As far as I'm concerned, R1 is about the worst of the bunch. Started within the last three - five years, and marketed to ebay shoppers that buy on bling factor only.
Highly doubt you will ever see them on a track car, and never on anything remotely exotic. I laugh reading their early ads for the "Exclusive Diamond cut slots" (basically cutting dangerous "V" shaped channels for slots rather than the preferred "U" shaped channels.) If you understand metallurgy and focused stress points, your laughing with me.
This is one company that I recommend my friends all stay clear of.

I was a PowerSlot fan for years, investing in the slotted Cryos as my cheap rotor of choice. Power Slot was their own entity, and they ran their own foundry's for quality control. I spoke to one of their metallurgical engineers years ago looking for the exact carbon content and Rockwell hardness specs and got fast accurate answers.
StopTech purchased PowerSlot (and AEM) gaining its own foundries and cryogenic facilities.
Not sure when Centric picked up the group or if it was already the parent of StopTech?

2 cents from an old mans memory...
V
Thanks for your insight. Do you have any specific recommendations for a drilled/slotted, direct replacement rotor? I don't track or drive my car very hard - just wanted to dress things up a bit.
Old 06-16-11, 08:33 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Thanks for your insight. Do you have any specific recommendations for a drilled/slotted, direct replacement rotor? I don't track or drive my car very hard - just wanted to dress things up a bit.
I still have difficulty recommending rotors, because I have personally used so few. However it is one area I don't like to cut corners considering the job they are asked to do. Looks are not the top reason I buy. Drilled rotors only show a gain on track(cooling), yet have the dark side of cracking issues. Track drivers shrug and replace them as a secondary cost to tracking a car. I prefer slotted to avoid the cracking issues. Like most track drivers, I shrug off concerns about pad wear, as the overall response to peddle pressure is my ultimate goal. Reality says I spend more on a beer night than most set of pads cost...

Obviously I lean towards Power Slots both from personal experience of myself on track, and that of the mechanic that services all our Police cars. Cop cars take a lot of daily driving abuse and it was costing my City a lot of cash to keep OEM rotors on the cars. After converting the fleet (about 15 cars) to the PS Cryos, annual rotor replacement became a thing of the past. I personally couldn't ask for a better endorsement. (Certainly beats some teen that has owned a whopping 2 cars in his/her life touting "These are the greatest rotors I've ever owned!") Now that StopTech (a good name in their own right) has P.S. resources to draw from, both brands have the respect of track drivers, including exotic owners, but wont break the bank. I'd look there first.

All that said, just stick with a known brand that has actually been around for a while outside FleaBay. Go to more respected companies that support the racing community like Summitracing.com or Jegs.com and look at the brands they offer as a baseline.
Shift your thinking to realize "Great" rotors sell for $400+ apiece.... "Good and economical" falls between $100 and $250 a piece.... OEM probably just under that.

Brakes are "Safety equipment" first and foremost...Don't fall prey to FleaBay bargains.

2 more cents
V
Old 06-16-11, 09:38 PM
Focker
Driver School Candidate

^ Yes, exactly that. R1 Concepts Premium drilled/slotted rotors. I actually already have drilled/slotted rotors from StopTech (picture below), but it's only for the front and I can't find a matching set for the rear. Soooo, OCD dictates that I must buy 4 new ones.

Pretty sure you mixed up left and right sides on your rotors bro.

From motorcycle racing, I've always been a fan of EBC rotors and pads.
Old 06-16-11, 11:26 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Focker

Mine are faced/slanted the same way. My rotoras come labeled left and right.
Old 06-17-11, 07:25 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks again for the info CleverName. That's some really useful information. I'll check out those two websites and see what I can find. I'm well aware of the pitfalls of drilled rotors, but dammit they look cool! If I was tracking I'd definitely go slotted though.

Originally Posted by Focker

Originally Posted by 509IS350
Mine are faced/slanted the same way. My rotoras come labeled left and right.
They're on correctly. I do find it interesting that they go both ways though. You'd think one way would be more efficient and the other would never be used.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Brake Rotor Options