Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers...basic question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-02, 08:10 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers...basic question

I am really debating on ordering a set of coilovers right now. My shocks are beginning to go bad, so I think this might be the best time to do it. My question is simply how long does one expect a coilover to last? I want to go with either the Blitz Sachs damper, Tein CS, HA, or Flex, but I don't mind paying the money I just want to make sure I will be able to get some goof use out of them...Any opinions...etc. I normally put around 30K miles a year and btw...don't mind a harsh ride.

Thanks...
Mike
Old 08-16-02, 02:19 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmm, I've never owned a car long enough to test out the longevity but I know guys with Hondas with Teins that have had them for a long time...can't imagine they wear any faster than stock ones...I would guesstimate that they would last longer under "standard" street use...

Any of those you listed would be great...personally, out of all of those, I would pick the FLEX...but that's just me...
Old 08-16-02, 02:37 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am biased towards the flex as well, since I just had them installed on my car. You can tell right away about the product quality the minute you take them out of the box. I compared the stock shocks and TEINS and there is no comparison, stock is just oem junk.

I had to play with the settings as I do not like too much of a stiff ride. Currently, my dampening is set to 0 in the front and 2 in the back. I find this so far to be very nice and almost stock like in a weird way. Its just a tad tad bit stiffer than stock.

Regarding longevity, I believe the TEIN can go the distance. Although, my concern is that the flex system has a lot of adjustable parts and if you drive your car in salt, rain, snow, I would religiously spray and clean the threads, as they will be impossible to adjust later if they start to rust. Unless, you are doing shows or tracking the car, once you adjust the ride height you will never probably adjust again. I think I went a bit too lower than I would like as I did not anticipate the stocks settling in. I will make a final adjustment in ride height again and than probably will never adjust it again.
Old 08-16-02, 03:27 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

DrewGS4 - If you haven't noticed, I do live in Michigan so I am around bad roads and definitely my fair share of salt and snow! Luckily, by the time I have my tires mounted...most of our roads will have been repaired joy!!! I read in a previous post that you should put anti-seize on the threads so they never lock. Not sure how well that would work, but we will see!

manaray - Haha, I expected you were going to say go with the Flex I am probably going to go with the Flex after all I have been reading about them. Maybe this time I will get the suspension components done right the first time...haha. Not sure if you remember what I am talking about...but anyway

Thanks for you input guys!

BTW...reason I asked was because my friend that owns a supra recently had a problem with his HAs, so it just got me worried. When you are paying around 1,600 plus install...you want to be able to get what you paid for, right?
Old 08-16-02, 07:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well actually i paid only 1100 for my HA installed, and cash no tax, so it's much better than 1600 + install what problem does your friend has with the HA? don't scare me dude...

but yeah, actually even i have the HA, i would suggest flex to most people coz' the HA is quite different from the stock ones. my general recommendation? if you are used to the so-sedan type driving, get the flex. if your previous car is a sport car like prelude, etc... (like me) the HA should be a problem for you.
Old 08-19-02, 01:18 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

rominl - I am not sure what to tell you about my friend's HAs. Something broke on one of his coilovers which sent that side of the car to the ground...Ummmm, he said Tein replaced whatever it was, but if he was not cruising...it could of been bad. I guess it just happens sometimes...He always has bad luck, as I do with cars.
Old 08-19-02, 02:03 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think with HA.. its very stiff.. not stiff ness might cause the premature of the shock failure.. If you live in a bad road surface area.. I am planning to change my HA within 2 years...
Old 08-19-02, 03:22 PM
RacingAristo

Mike,

I live in downtown LA. You still wanna talk about bad roads eh? I've had TEIN HA for a long time, longer than anyone who is posting in this thread.
Old 08-19-02, 03:47 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

RacingAristo - hehe, I never said Michigan has the worst roads , but we have our fair share of them. I guess it's a toss up as to which one would last the longest. Maybe it's because you run a certain amount of "clicks" etc, etc...but it is good to hear that your coilovers are lasting for you! Keeps my hopes high when choosing TEIN over any other brand...
Old 08-19-02, 04:06 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

I have Tein HA's still in the box, have to setup an install appointment. NY doesn't have the best road either, but I am not worried about the Tein's. Dennis, you are running 8's on the clicks front and rear, correct? Thanx
Old 08-19-02, 05:24 PM
RacingAristo

This is the second TEIN HA I've owned. Their quality is top notch and the price is competitive.
Old 08-19-02, 05:26 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i notice with TEIN HA system the interior peice start to rattle a lot, and get worse too... i would definatly be in the market for a compleate interior clip overhaul!! someone should look into this..i would gladly pay 1000 if i could be rattle free for at least 2 years.

also about ride height.. i find myself adjusting the height every couple weeks or so!! i guess i just like messin with stuff! i try to keep the threads clean and lubericated so they dont get damaged or rusted!! *shudder*

also i am noticeing a sqeak from my suspension.. im pretty sure its not the TEIN but if it is that really sucks!! i used some WD-40 and the sqeuak went away but it came bacK! i used white grese arosol type... but it didnt go away! strage.. .i will have to respray.. is it possible the WD 40 got in places the grese coulnt? my thoughts are the bushings are starting to go.... 150,000 km on the car and its seen lots of winter driving... well if u guys can help i'd appreciate it.

mike sorry to get into ur thread like this! as far as coil-overs go... they are all equally built in my opinion... its about how stiff do you want it and how much do you want to pay.. IMO there is no reason to get TEIN CS anymore since FLEX has came out for cheaper and almost as soft....
Old 08-19-02, 05:28 PM
RacingAristo

Usually people would make the front stiffer than rear because of the engine block (the weight). You can put any kind of combination you like. Right now I have 14 clicks front, 10 clicks rear. Pretty stiff if you ask me.

Now, I have a recommendation setting from TEIN Japan but it's inside my CL email box. If I remember it correctly, it's 8 clicks front and 6 clicks rear. I'll confirm this once MOD fix the email feature.
Old 08-19-02, 05:53 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Sasha (Alex???) - No problem ! Actually, maybe more people can try and help you out this way...more posts on the subject...the greater the chances of getting your problem answered Hopefully you can get that all squared away...Personally, I want to replace my current set-up because my shop never cut my rear bump stops, so I get a strange noise from the rear because of it!
Old 08-19-02, 05:58 PM
RacingAristo

Sasha,

Get a new car! Ha Ha.

Quick Reply: Coilovers...basic question