Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Wilwood brake upgrade group buy.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-02, 10:14 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wilwood brake upgrade group buy.....

This thread is to see how many people are intrested in a Wilwood brake upgrade group buy. The benefit to the Wilwood brake kit over such brand names as Brembo, AP Racing, etc. is that, through this GB, the price will be much cheaper than those $2000+ kits, while providing the same stopping performance.

- For stock rotors: A 4 piston Wilwood light weight caliper will be used in conjunction with your choice of three different brake pad compunds (made by Hawk): street, racing, or extreme. The kit will also come with stainless bleed line and quality bolts, nuts, and brackets. The price for this kit (calipers, pads, and misc.) will be $950 shipped directly to your door, or $900 pick up.

-For upgraded TT rotors: A 6 piston Wilwood light weight brake caliper will be used in conjunction with the same 3 brake pad compounds as listed above: street, racing, or extreme. This kit also comes w/ all the necessary bolts, nuts, and brackets along with the stainless bleed line. The price for this kit will be $1350 shipped to your door, or $1300 pick up.*

the main person responsible for this project is Scott (Aka: T51R) I have been down to the shop where he works and have seen the brake kit 1st hand. It is a very impressive assembly, and I have already reserved a kit for myself. This is a very rare chance to get a high quailty light weight brake kit for your GS. If u have any further ?'s, u can PM me and i will answer them ASAP. Pics are coming.

PLEASE RESPOND IMMEDIATLY TO THIS THREAD, AS THE GB WILL BEGIN ASAP. Thank you.

*Note: to recieve the kit w/ the 6 piston caliper for the TT rotor, you will need a rim size of at least 18" to ensure proper clearance.
Old 08-16-02, 10:32 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

bump
Old 08-16-02, 11:04 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Will the 6 piston system work on the SC430??

If so PM me details and I would love to see pictures.. Thanks!
Old 08-16-02, 11:16 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Ken, to be honest with you, i have no clue. I am going to see Scott tonight, and wil make sure to talk this over with him. The reason that we are letting this offer only to SC's and GS's is b/c those r the only 2 models we have available to test fitments. If i had not had the GS, this would only be available to the SC guys. The problem is, most Lexus owners (around here at least) aren't willing to have their car be used to test aftermarket brake fitments. I am not sure that we have an SC430 to look at so im am going to say that we might not be able to offer it. However, i need to talk to Scott 1st so don't hold me to this. Pics are coming soon (just need to take them). If u know whether the SC430 brakes are similar to those on the SC300/400 models, or to the GS models, that would help a lot. I will let u know late tonight/tom. what scott says. Hope we can helkp u out man. Thanks
Old 08-16-02, 12:11 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple questions before I can really consider this.

How many calipers we talking about? (Front and rears?)

Which Wilwood caliper is this? They make several.

What about fitment of the 4 piston on the stock 17" wheels?

Can I mix and match (don't want Hawk pads would prefer EBC green).

Who is Scott? Someone from Wilwood or just a local speed shop?

TIA

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 08-16-02 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-16-02, 12:40 PM
VeilSideGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up ENDLESS

for the ULTIMATE braking experience I would have to say

www.ENDLESSUSA.com ....enough said.... if you guys have questions about this kit let me know and ill be happy to answer them for you......
Old 08-16-02, 12:50 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

How many calipers we talking about? (Front and rears?)
I believe this is for front and rear, but i will ask scott tonight.

Which Wilwood caliper is this? They make several.
I believe that this is the Billet Superlight 4 and 6. I willl conform that tonight.

What about fitment of the 4 piston on the stock 17" wheels?
The 4 piston calipers will easily fir on the GS w/ stock 17's. We tested them on my dads GS3 and he has the 16's.

Can I mix and match (don't want Hawk pads would prefer EBC green).
I belive they will only come w/ the Hawk pads, but EBC pads should fit if u want to purchase them seperatly

Who is Scott? Someone from Wilwood or just a local speed shop?
Scott is a CL member (T51R) who has an SC300 w/ a J-spec Supra TT engine swap (prolly the fastest SC on CL.....that includes Clint's 97). He works for a small shop that specializes in mostly sport compacts. The shop is called SCRAM performnace shop and most of their work involves engine swaps,etc for hondas and the like. To say the least, Scott knows what he is doing.
Old 08-16-02, 01:54 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

MyLexusSC300 - While I have to think about this some more, if the four piston calipers will work with the stock rotors and 16 inch wheels, I would very likely be in on the group buy. Could you confirm that the four piston calipers will work with the 16 inch wheels? Thanks.
Old 08-16-02, 02:02 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

ron, they will fit on the 16's wheel. The calipers were put on my dads GS300 w/ 16's.
Old 08-16-02, 02:12 PM
RacingAristo

Who makes the brake lines? Are the brake lines the same with 4 and 6 piston calipers?
Old 08-16-02, 02:46 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to be clear, this kit includes

4 calibers (2 front and 2 rear)

Each caliber is 4 pistons.

2 front brake pads and 2 rear brake pads.

and 4 Stainless Steel Lines.

It would help if you can post a picture of everything that is included in this kit.

In my case, I already uprgaded to the previous brake group buy. I already have the EBC pads and new rotors and SS Lines.

How much just for the 4 piston front and rear calibers???
Old 08-16-02, 03:36 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

If this thing can clear the 16" and 4 piston.. I'm definitely interested.. I been tying to find a Caliper upgrade that will fit the 17" wheel with stock offset...

How much thicker is the 6 piston??? will the TT rotor w/ 6 piston clear a 17" tire?

Last edited by Shinchan; 08-16-02 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-16-02, 04:12 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

MyLexusSC300 - Darn it. I feel another hit coming to the checking account. In case anyone is wondering, Wilwood makes some top notch brakes. I had been hoping someone would do a four piston upgrade to work with the stock 16s because I like the lightness of the 16s. I know they have made four piston kits that fit 16s for things like Hondas but didn't seem anyone was interested for the Lexus. If this comes off and I can fit them under a set of 16s, the checking account is going to get it again. For $1000 I'm in, even if they just sit on the shelf until the warranty runs out.
Old 08-16-02, 04:31 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

EDIT: This is only a FRONT brake upgrade. Sorry for any misunderstanding. (The price will be doubled if anyone still wishes to get the rear setup)
Old 08-16-02, 04:36 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Shinchan
If this thing can clear the 16" and 4 piston.. I'm definitely interested.. I been tying to find a Caliper upgrade that will fit the 17" wheel with stock offset...

How much thicker is the 6 piston??? will the TT rotor w/ 6 piston clear a 17" tire?
Shin, i am not sure if the TT rotors will fit w/ the GS 17's. We would prefer u had 18's to go w/ the 6 piston setup as this will ensure there will be less headaches (returns, disappointmens, etc.). I will talk to scott about it though

Quick Reply: Wilwood brake upgrade group buy.....