Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS SHAKE FIXED FOR $10 bucks…..

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11, 11:12 AM
tither777
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking GS SHAKE FIXED FOR $10 bucks…..

i have heard thousands spent and no fix… i have heard IT CANT BE FIXED… i have heard its a Lexus flaw sue them……. i have heard it was fixed with all sorts of stuff…. BUT haven't heard this one so i thought i would share because it WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least on my GS…. here goes….. Bless you all!!!

the threads have wandered some… but i have a 2000 GS 300 and everything was fine till i put 20's on it….. EVERYTHING else is stock. when i put on the 20 the shake started at 60mph only…. over was fine and under was fine… had the rims rebalanced at a different shop, still the same. So i have searched for weeks and weeks on here and have heard some very helpful stuff. i have bought just about everything i have heard that would help and it was allot of money.. castor arms, poly bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, steering poly bushings, sway bar poly bushings, four new brake rotors and pads…. ALL scheduled to be put in at the end of the month. i saw something about a road force balance which i had not done….. so i went to another shop that does this and they did it on the 20" and all checked out fine…. BUT!!!!!!!! the guy said that sometimes on these high end cars because the suspension is so complex that even the littlest rust on the hub(rotor edge) where the wheel mounts up will cause a shake in the wheel because the rim doesnt sit JUST RIGHT on the hub. SOOOOO the little bit of rust that was on ALL four hubs(rotors) was sanded off for 10 bucks with his little air tool, took him 5 mins….. but the rims back on and I HAVE NO SHAKE AT ALL!!!!! NOT EVEN A LITTLE…. so it was the small amount of rust between the new rim and old rotor that was the culprit….. NOT all the other stuff on this vehicle…. FYI…. GLORY im happy!!!!! woot woooot!!!!
Old 01-14-11, 11:51 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you that you had a very good tech identify the seating of the wheel due to rust.

Though your problem is solved, this $10 fix is just one of many variables that do cause shake. I would venture to guess that most vibration issues are usually comprised of several fixes as it is seldom that there is only one issue causing the problem.

Going back to your Road Force Balance, I did post about the importance of this long ago. I also had a very technically skilled tech advise me of the particular sensitivity of Lexus cars to a good balance. This shop is an Authorized Tire Rack Installer that worked very closely with them to evaluate road force related issues. They said that there have actually been cases where brand new tires would not Road Force balance correctly. Tire Rack actually took the tires back and returned them as factory defects.

With your identification of rust and my note of new tire defects, my point is our cars are very sensitive to balance. I suspect that "another" shop with less expertise as yours and mine may just perform the road force balance and call it a day.

I would suggest that ALL people who have Not been able to eliminate their vibration issues after many fixes, to perform a VERIFICATION by going back and borrow a "good" set of tires and rims that are "Proven" on someone else's GS car to be vibration free. Then "replace ALL 4 tires and wheels with this good set. Also they can put their tire/wheels on the other car and see if the vibration transfers to that vehicle.

I've read a lot of threads where people have "checked off" the tires/wheels as "good", but if they have changed everything else and the vibration problem still exists, it wouldn't hurt to go back and do a verification.

Given the sensitivity to tire balance of our cars, people should not rule out tires/wheels as the cause without being absolutely sure.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-14-11 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-14-11, 04:37 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

glad u were able to fix the shaking... hopfully I never get the shakes.
Old 01-14-11, 10:06 PM
H22VTEC
Driver School Candidate

Glad to see this post. Ive been having that shake on stock wheels. Ill start by cleaning off the rust first to see if that solves the issue and go from there.
Thanks for this post
Old 01-14-11, 10:09 PM
tither777
Driver

cool....im glad to be a blessing...hope it helps
Old 01-17-11, 11:26 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tither777
the guy said that sometimes on these high end cars because the suspension is so complex that even the littlest rust on the hub(rotor edge) where the wheel mounts up will cause a shake in the wheel because the rim doesnt sit JUST RIGHT on the hub. SOOOOO the little bit of rust that was on ALL four hubs(rotors) was sanded off for 10 bucks with his little air tool, took him 5 mins….. but the rims back on and I HAVE NO SHAKE AT ALL!!!!!
i can see the next post coming soon...."HELP, SANDED TO MUCH ON MY HUB CANNOT PUT ROTOR BACK ON....PLEASE HELP"

hahaha

good find OP when i install my G35's i will check this out but i dont believe this will solve everyones issues. glad it worked for you though
Old 01-17-11, 11:47 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

That's pretty interesting.
Old 01-18-11, 06:56 PM
trickz
Driver

wow im about to do that see if my car stops shaking its getting annoying lol
Old 02-07-11, 12:55 PM
OMLooper
Driver School Candidate

tither777, are you still shake free?

Anybody else with persistent vibration issues try this?
Old 02-07-11, 03:03 PM
tither777
Driver

still shake free.......
Old 05-08-11, 09:50 AM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

you know, actually ive had this problem for years and still do. Ive literally tried everything (besides RFB) and still have it.. ive always suspected the rust on the hub because every time i put the wheel back on it doesnt seem to sit right.. im glad to hear im not the only one, and that someone else was successful with this method.. what kind of shop did you go to?
Old 05-08-11, 01:11 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the best way to remove the rust assuming i don't have this air tool?
Old 05-08-11, 02:28 PM
sikkwidit
Pole Position

Im going to try this out thx tither777
Old 05-08-11, 09:50 PM
tither777
Driver

Originally Posted by BIGVIC23
you know, actually ive had this problem for years and still do. Ive literally tried everything (besides RFB) and still have it.. ive always suspected the rust on the hub because every time i put the wheel back on it doesnt seem to sit right.. im glad to hear im not the only one, and that someone else was successful with this method.. what kind of shop did you go to?
just a high end tire shop..... nothing special....
Old 05-09-11, 09:12 AM
Dscustoms
Driver

This is something we have been doing for years now. Any auto parts store should have the special hub cleanup discs which you can chuck into an angle grinder or drill. They have a deep hole for the wheel studs. The alternative would be some good hand sanding with a scotchbrite rust removal pad.
This is a service that some of the brake training events started recognizing and training for a few years ago as a major cause of brake complaints.

Quick Reply: GS SHAKE FIXED FOR $10 bucks…..