Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ride too uncomfortable, questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-02, 10:09 PM
thwang99
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ride too uncomfortable, questions.

Hi all,

My ride in my 2000 GS400 is now too uncomfortable! Stock it was fine. Then I upgraded to Eibach prokit springs (1" drop), and KYB shocks ($70 each). At first the ride was tighter but still comfortable.

Now, after 2 weeks, it's really uncomfortable! My friends who know more about cars told me it's cause the suspension has settled now.

What should I do? They suggest that I replace the KYB shocks with the stock shocks, and keep the Eibach prokit springs. This is cause the shocks contribute the most to the ride uncomfortableness, since they rebound faster. The springs are ok, and don't cause too much of the bumpy ride.

Is this true? What do you guys suggest? I really like the handling, the stock springs and shocks are really too soft. Thanks!

- Tony
Old 08-11-02, 10:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes that's true, most of the stiffness you feel is from the shocks not the springs. however, our stock shocks are too soft and using it with the pro kit springs would have two major problems

1) the shocks will wear out a lot faster and you will have to change them very soon
2) since the shocks are so soft, with a short springs you will find your car bouncing up and down (softly) even more than before. it would become a very very funny ride.

so imho, i wouldn't put back the stock shocks, it will degrade your handling a lot and the ride would become funny. the only thing you stay with is the new look (lowered). instead i would try to get some softer aftermarket shocks, or better yet get the tein flex coilover in your case
Old 08-12-02, 05:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

The L-Tuned shocks are KYB but maybe not the same stiffness as the ones you put on. There's nothing harsh about the L-Tuned shocks.

Maybe the springs/shocks combination you have just isn't a good one?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-12-02 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-12-02, 08:42 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Will i get the same problem if i go with Ltuned shocks and H&R combo? Or i should be fine?? Please share your opinions and knowledge.

thanks
tommy
Old 08-12-02, 10:20 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always heard that bilstein shocks are good. I went the coilover route and wouldn't change a thing...
Old 08-12-02, 10:59 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Bilstein/Eibach combo and my ride is still very good, but that is all subjective to different people. All my friends like the ride too, it is still comfortable and sporty at the same time. The only thing is the height, so I am going coilovers. My shocks and springs will be up for sale soon. PM if you are interested.
Old 08-13-02, 12:42 AM
thwang99
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I have KYB GR-2's

Originally posted by bitkahuna
The L-Tuned shocks are KYB but maybe not the same stiffness as the ones you put on. There's nothing harsh about the L-Tuned shocks.

Maybe the springs/shocks combination you have just isn't a good one?
I just checked, and what I have installed are KYB GR-2's. Are the L-Tuned shocks less stiff? Or is it the Eibach ProKit springs that are making my ride rough? You said the L-Tuned shocks are KYB, if so, wouldn't it be the same? Thanks!

- Tony
Old 08-13-02, 06:37 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

Dump the KYB's. Try a Tein CS system if you don't mind spending a little more. They are super comfortable, very light and handling incredibly well. They even come with their own special upper mount. That's what I'm going with personally.
Old 08-13-02, 08:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by Guru
Dump the KYB's. Try a Tein CS system if you don't mind spending a little more. They are super comfortable, very light and handling incredibly well. They even come with their own special upper mount. That's what I'm going with personally.
actually for about the same price i would get the flex
Old 08-13-02, 09:24 AM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

I would like to see someone try the Apexi WS coilovers. They are made for comfort too. Would you like to be the first?
Old 08-13-02, 09:48 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are unsure how the new shock and spring will feel.. just get the Tein Flex.. they can be adjust to the point same as Stock or stiffer and the height adjustable...tooo....
Old 08-13-02, 12:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default Re: I have KYB GR-2's

Originally posted by thwang99
I just checked, and what I have installed are KYB GR-2's. Are the L-Tuned shocks less stiff? Or is it the Eibach ProKit springs that are making my ride rough? You said the L-Tuned shocks are KYB, if so, wouldn't it be the same? Thanks!
I don't know what model KYB springs are in the L-Tuned package but I'm sure KYB makes lots of springs and may have made a custom version for Lexus.
Old 08-13-02, 05:26 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl

actually for about the same price i would get the flex
ummm. NO! If he is already uncomfortable with the KYB and the Eibach setup, then the Flex will be even stiffer than that. By the way, even at the softest setting with the flex is still stiffer than stock. If you going to get a coilover, get the TEIN CS and crank the dampening up to achieve the ride you want. At the firmest setting, it's more like L-Tuned.

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 08-13-02 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-13-02, 09:42 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LXOGOOD

ummm. NO! If he is already uncomfortable with the KYB and the Eibach setup, then the Flex will be even stiffer than that. By the way, even at the softest setting with the flex is still stiffer than stock. If you going to get a coilover, get the TEIN CS and crank the dampening up to achieve the ride you want. At the firmest setting, it's more like L-Tuned.
I agree, the Flex is a more aggressive setup and the upper mounts do sometimes make some noise whereas the CS system is designed for comfort in mind and come with isolated rubber upper mounts to minimize noise and vibration.
Old 08-21-02, 10:25 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Default Re: Ride too uncomfortable, questions.

Originally posted by thwang99
Hi all,

My ride in my 2000 GS400 is now too uncomfortable! Stock it was fine. Then I upgraded to Eibach prokit springs (1" drop), and KYB shocks ($70 each). At first the ride was tighter but still comfortable.

Now, after 2 weeks, it's really uncomfortable! My friends who know more about cars told me it's cause the suspension has settled now.

What should I do? They suggest that I replace the KYB shocks with the stock shocks, and keep the Eibach prokit springs. This is cause the shocks contribute the most to the ride uncomfortableness, since they rebound faster. The springs are ok, and don't cause too much of the bumpy ride.

Is this true? What do you guys suggest? I really like the handling, the stock springs and shocks are really too soft. Thanks!

- Tony
Tony,

What is it specifically that you find uncomfortable?
Too stiff?
If yes, then is it in certain conditions (potholes and such, or small ripples on the road)?

Do you have 17's or 16's?

I have Eibachs and Bilsteins and my ride is stiffer, but not uncomfortable for my taste (with 16's).

Handling and comfort are personal preferences and are difficult to gauge between different people without common denominator. Look at alternatives in which springs and shocks are either factory-matched to work together (like coil-overs and l-tuned) or that are known to work well together (Eibach/Bilstein). When you do a Frankenstein suspension upgrade, you find out the hard way....
Go to a Lexus dealer and drive the L-tuned if they have it: this is about the softest you are going to get, I think.

Quick Reply: Ride too uncomfortable, questions.