Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport Springs vs 06 Sport Package Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 09:21 AM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F-Sport Springs vs 06 Sport Package Springs

All I can find is that the sport package springs are .4" lower in the front. Is there any reason to consider swapping out the stock sport package springs for f-sport springs?

I am getting the OEM Spoiler and rear sway installed this Friday and just through while the car was in there, did this make sense. My gut says no, but just posing it anyways.
Old 01-11-11, 10:18 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the sport package on my car. I did change it to F sport springs AND shocks. I saw a big difference in ride feel as well as a drop that was indeed noticeable.

Last edited by Micaiah; 01-11-11 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-11-11, 10:56 AM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

What was the difference in ride quality/handling? Was it worth the price?
Old 01-11-11, 03:05 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am VERY happy with my decision. It's a bit stiffer yet bouncy. Not uncomfortable or harsh.
Old 01-21-11, 06:08 PM
Duke02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also swapped my 06 sport suspension out for f-sport shocks and springs. I actually regret doing it - but it's all a matter of personal preference I think.

For me, what I noticed was that the F-sports soften out what I could consider road surface imperfections like rough road surface but are noticeably bouncier over road structural issues like dips and humps.

With the stock sport suspension I felt like I always felt every little bump in the road which I no longer feel. However, the stock sport suspension was surprisingly composed over large bumps and the f-sports have scared me a few times in how bouncy they were.

I've also felt a little out of control with the f-sports on sweeping freeway onramps (admittedly at high speed but not higher than I would drive with the stock).

on the plus side, the steering response is better and flatter cornering. Like I said, personal preference will dominate
Old 01-21-11, 06:58 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke02
I also swapped my 06 sport suspension out for f-sport shocks and springs. I actually regret doing it - but it's all a matter of personal preference I think.

For me, what I noticed was that the F-sports soften out what I could consider road surface imperfections like rough road surface but are noticeably bouncier over road structural issues like dips and humps.

With the stock sport suspension I felt like I always felt every little bump in the road which I no longer feel. However, the stock sport suspension was surprisingly composed over large bumps and the f-sports have scared me a few times in how bouncy they were.

I've also felt a little out of control with the f-sports on sweeping freeway onramps (admittedly at high speed but not higher than I would drive with the stock).

on the plus side, the steering response is better and flatter cornering. Like I said, personal preference will dominate

And in a nutshell that's why I kept the sport suspension on mine... the difference you're experiencing is because the sport suspension springs are linear- the spring rate is always the same... nice and predictable... while the F-sport springs are progressive... they are looser to start with, then get progressively firmer the more they compress... this is a compromise that attempts to provide a softer ride while still giving good handling when pushed... but as you say it's a preference thing and I prefer a suspension I can predict the behavior of ahead of time.

(you also can't really design a shock that properly dampens a progressive spring, since the shock is intended for a given spring rate and the rate changes on the progressive spring... so again, smoother more predictable "bounce" with linear springs)

I personally find the handling (once you add the F-sport sway bars and better-than-oem tires) to be quite good.
Old 01-21-11, 08:26 PM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Glad I decided to keep stock sport package suspension and just add the f sport rear sway!
Old 01-22-11, 04:13 AM
nonopr01
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why only change the rear sway bar? I am thinking of upgrading my car which has sport package to the front and rear F-Sport sway bar kit.
Why only do the read instead of both?
Feedback appreciated.
Old 01-22-11, 08:44 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nonopr01
Why only change the rear sway bar? I am thinking of upgrading my car which has sport package to the front and rear F-Sport sway bar kit.
Why only do the read instead of both?
Feedback appreciated.
Lexus published at least two different sets of numbers on the stiffness change of the F-sport bars.

In one set it looked like the front 350 bar was only a 6.3% change, so many felt it wasn't worth the money.

The other set of numbers showed a much more significant change.

Nobody seems to know which is correct... and it gets even more confusing by the fact that the bars are the same size, both F-sport and OEM, between the 250 and 350... but the published numbers for stiffness change are not the same between 250 and 350.

The one person I know who ran only the rear bar, then later added the front bar, to his 350 said that the front bar did make a noticeable improvement from just running the rear but that the jump wasn't as large a one as going from only stock->F-sport rear bar.

Personally I run both.
Old 01-22-11, 09:54 AM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Maybe I'll add the front then this summer.
Old 05-14-11, 05:03 AM
bladibla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys im thinking to purchase fsport full face rims, and dont want to make the car sits higher at the front compare to the back, would changing the springs to fsport springs fix this problem?

or any other suggestion to lower the car and make the car sits perfectly with the rims?

thank you