Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Does anyone here track their 2GS regularly?

Old 01-10-11, 08:16 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does anyone here track their 2GS regularly?

I searched around a bit and couldn't find any concise info on suspension components and alignment specs that have been proven worthy by real-world experience by CL.com members on the race track.

I realize tracking their car is not what most GS owners are about. I currently have a s/c Miata that I track (featured here if you're curious) and my GS is my daily. For 2011 I am looking to put the GS on project status and sell the Miata to fund it.

I can't be the first person who has been interested in building a GS that can handle a road course with impressive results. What I'm looking for is some fairly well trusted performance specs that I can go buy for my build. (Alignment, spring rates, etc.)

TIA.
Old 01-10-11, 09:14 AM
fastryan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck, i mentioned that i track my gs4, and almost got laughed outta this place. bilstein track shocks, eibach's ..... gave the m 3's a good run. where you planning on driving?
Old 01-10-11, 09:18 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

I'm in North Dallas. I'll be out at Eagles Canyon, Motorsport Ranch and possibly Hallett from time to time. Probably only 3-4 HPDE's a year. But I want to really enjoy those 3-4 days

I don't plan on being able to pass any of my Miata buddies. But I do want to give the ///M crowd a run for their money. I'll be swapping to an Aristo 2JZ-GTE as my first order of business.
Old 01-13-11, 04:45 PM
fastryan
Driver

heyyy no new posts except us! never saw that coming.
no prob. M drivers brake too early. just use something smaller than a 50 series tire and you will have a ton of fun. my fifty's folded like fresh laundry.
Old 04-08-11, 06:36 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastryan
...M drivers brake too early...
I noticed that too. How come? Don't M have good brakes? I hope we are talking about same Ms. BTW, I think I'll be running my GS this Sunday in the rain.
Old 04-11-11, 06:33 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

I autocross the GS monthly... But im on a stock suspension setup
Old 04-15-11, 07:40 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Ive been to MidAmerica numerous times, but it was my first time in the GS4 last year. Not as tossable as the Acura/Hondas Ive run there, but it was quite fun. The HAWK HPS pads held up to the hot laps, but by the end of the day, the Raybestos rotors had a slight blue hue to them and required harder braking to make them bite. Replaced the front rotors with some Centric blanks with the same Hawk pads and my bite is back.

I will be returning to MidAmerica again this season with the addition of an auxilary trans cooler ( Hayden # 1679) , FIGS rear toe links, fresh alignment, and tuned with a NEO. Vehicle is running Tanabe NF210's with new OEM Lexus shocks which are made by KYB. Im running 245-35-19's in the front with 275-35-19's in the back. I was running 30's series in the back since that is closest to stock diameter, but I want more sidewall in the back. I was thinking about swapping a GS3 diff for shorter gearing, but ideally I would like to locate an auto TT Supra diff with LSD.
Old 04-18-11, 07:08 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TonyHC
Ive been to MidAmerica numerous times, but it was my first time in the GS4 last year. Not as tossable as the Acura/Hondas Ive run there, but it was quite fun. The HAWK HPS pads held up to the hot laps, but by the end of the day, the Raybestos rotors had a slight blue hue to them and required harder braking to make them bite. Replaced the front rotors with some Centric blanks with the same Hawk pads and my bite is back.

I will be returning to MidAmerica again this season with the addition of an auxilary trans cooler ( Hayden # 1679) , FIGS rear toe links, fresh alignment, and tuned with a NEO. Vehicle is running Tanabe NF210's with new OEM Lexus shocks which are made by KYB. Im running 245-35-19's in the front with 275-35-19's in the back. I was running 30's series in the back since that is closest to stock diameter, but I want more sidewall in the back. I was thinking about swapping a GS3 diff for shorter gearing, but ideally I would like to locate an auto TT Supra diff with LSD.
You sir just earned massive respect from me. I wish I had a racetrack near me. I autocross the GS and everyone is always shocked by my times (nipping on the heels of 4 hundai genisis' (plural of genesis?) and really wish i could do the same on a track.

Only one question, if you put in new shocks for some reason, why not go with stiffer ones. Also how much do they charge for track day?
Old 04-24-11, 12:42 AM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iw8Qg6IV9A

Last weekend. All stock, but wheels.
Old 06-05-11, 07:30 PM
pardo
Pole Position

Ive been to MidAmerica numerous times, but it was my first time in the GS4 last year. Not as tossable as the Acura/Hondas Ive run there, but it was quite fun. The HAWK HPS pads held up to the hot laps, but by the end of the day, the Raybestos rotors had a slight blue hue to them and required harder braking to make them bite. Replaced the front rotors with some Centric blanks with the same Hawk pads and my bite is back. .
So HAWK HPS last the whole track day? Did it fade? How hard did you track compared to your Acura/Honda?
Old 06-05-11, 07:36 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

I'm jealous of you guys. Glad I'm not the only one that wants to track a 2GS.
Old 06-06-11, 01:03 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What's your wheel spec? I'm running 245/35/19 on a 9.5" and 275/35/19 on a 10.5" and I'm getting the abs involved too early. I think my front and rear are mismatched. Based on the tire calculator, I'm suppose to run 285/30 in the rear.

I'm trying to get my car track worthy

Last edited by sam430; 06-06-11 at 02:19 AM.